Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I am so sick of people not responding to emails!  I finally get an email from a professor who does the exact research I want to do after months of no response.  Oh, he'd be happy to chat with me!  I email him back right away, and two weeks later, no response.  April 15th is coming up fast, man!  I ask a simple question at another university - will the second round of funding offers be made after April 15th?  Seems like a simple question to answer, but no response after a week.  And then there's the graduate coordinator who does eventually respond, but doesn't bother to answer any of the questions in my email.  Maybe that's the famous MN indirectness?  I have no idea.

Why can't my brain just take some time off of being anxious about things? I get into a program and now I'm looking to move, and instead of being excited I'm just anxious that I'm not going to be able to find a place. I've been kind of an odd tenant at my current place (didn't do well living alone at first, tried to sublet my place so I could move in with people but it didn't work, lately have been dealing with a noisy neighbor and reached out to management about that for not the first time since moving  in), and I'm worried when new places check my rental history the place I rent with is going to be like don't rent to them, they're an awful tenant. It's not even rent related - that's always on time & my dad said he would cosign as my stipend will cover rent but we just want to be sure I get the apartment.

UGH WHY CAN'T I STOP BEING STRESSED

Like in my mind I know I probably haven't been any more annoying than any other tenant - not the best but certainly not the worst - but I can't keep from going down that spiral of you'll never get a place, and you won't be able to go to the program, and then you won't be able to get a job, and it just goes on. Anxiety sucks, y'all.

I can't believe it's still not OVER!!!

First I visited, they told me I was a great applicant and they introduced me around.

Then they interviewed me over and over.

Then they waitlisted me (which I took as a rejection).

Then they told me I'm high up on the waitlist.

This saga has been almost a year of my life at this point, and I just want to know if I can move on or not. 

Edited by aggiezone

I'm waiting on funding info for what is basically my only option. The other two programs that accepted me didn't offer enough to make my degree financially viable. The program director is at a conference, and he told me that decisions should start coming next week. They fully fund most of their students, and I was accepted fairly early (which I assume is good), but I'm still so on edge. There's still a chance this will fall through and I'll have to reapply next year. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a major setback...

Edited by feralgrad

Hi, not really venting lol, but I just have one question concerning chemistry graduate school. I always thought chemistry graduate school was free with a generous stipend, but even though the tuition has been waived, I still have to pay student fees. As an international student, the non-resident student fee is actually more than the cost of tuition. Although the stipend covers the student fees, I am left with only a couple hundred bucks every semester. As a result, I will have to pay out of pocket for personal expenses, food etc, which over the course of a year will be a major investment. Anyone else in chemistry graduate school confronted with a similar situation? Anyone who can share how they manage their finances/ handle their student fees? 

32 minutes ago, DChemPhDZ said:

Hi, not really venting lol, but I just have one question concerning chemistry graduate school. I always thought chemistry graduate school was free with a generous stipend, but even though the tuition has been waived, I still have to pay student fees. As an international student, the non-resident student fee is actually more than the cost of tuition. Although the stipend covers the student fees, I am left with only a couple hundred bucks every semester. As a result, I will have to pay out of pocket for personal expenses, food etc, which over the course of a year will be a major investment. Anyone else in chemistry graduate school confronted with a similar situation? Anyone who can share how they manage their finances/ handle their student fees? 

Ask this in the chemistry forum.

I have a bunny who is 13 years old. Bunnies usually only live 8-10 years, so she's really old. She is blind and has mobility issues, and has started to not use the litterbox anymore. And I'm just sad and frustrated, and I hate this slow fade. She is a heart-pet and I love her. I've had her since highschool and now I'm a year from graduating from the Ph.D. program. And I don't know when I should let her go. And thinking about end-of-life measures just makes me cry. This is frustrating. Also, I'm in this little tiny apartment and it smells like pee constantly. And I have to get her special care and worry about her if I leave on vacation. I know she isn't going to be around much longer and I'm sad, but I'm also conflicted because it's going to be a relief not to have that ambiguity and worry about the situation. 

And my friends don't understand. None of them are pet people, and they think making rabbit stew jokes is funny. Hint- it's not! I don't act annoyed about it because I don't want to be 'that' friend who gets upset about jokes, but I'm not going to get any emotional support there.

Well, I am a panelist at a event on April 6th. The organizers asked me to make a contest for people to win a pair of tickets, and they asked me to spread the word on my FB page. But I think they see me as more popular than I actually am, because nobody manifested their interest into taking part of the contest...it's a bit humiliating even. Argh. (social media anxiety #firstworldproblems)

I just realized I may have messed up my TA application at one of the schools I applied to (and the only one I think I might receive full funding at). There was a section in the online application called "TA application," but when I was reviewing the website today I noticed that there was a separate PDF application and an email address to send it to. This separate application asked for the same info/documents I submitted with my main application, but presumably it goes to a different department/office...? Now I'm terrified that I may have messed up my only chance at going to school this year, and the department didn't answer my call!

7b9.jpg

Waiting to hear about funding for my top choice. With or without it, I'm attending, but it'd be a nice cushion considering provincial loans won't cover my whole tuition, and I'm doomed to pay a few thousand out of pocket for the remainder + transport. Annoying that they've already made funding decisions but have elected to not contact anyone yet. All they said was that it was more competitive than ever for entrance awards. Like gee, that helps. I got funding from the other programs I applied to, but relocating isn't ideal for me.

So ready to be done!! I feel like I am always the odd one out because everyone else speaks Chinese and I don't. So they leave me out of things so they can go off and not have to speak English. One girl tries, but as soon as another Asian comes around it's like I don't even exist.  I wouldn't mind a little, but it is all the time. I'm tired of feeling this way. I have friends outside of school, but I although I am friendly with people here, I'm not part of any clique and the rest of everyone is cliquish. Its been this way the entire time I've been in the program, but it still kinda sucks. Imagine working somewhere for four years and not having any friends there. This is why I've stopped coming to campus.

External examiner was supposed to send comments on my thesis on March 19th. :( It's now March 29th. Still did not get anything and I need to submit the final version of my thesis by April 15. Arrrggghhhhh. I just want to know I passed :(

Edited by Adelaide9216

Totally fucked up an experiment today. I mean, it was rough. I coded something wrong and part of the experiment was ruined. So I'm mad at myself for that. But even if there hadn't been an error on my part, the program crashed and the data was unrecoverable. Ugh!!

On the positive side, since I posted here I found out that I did, in fact, apply for funding correctly.

Supposedly I should find out about funding this week (next Monday at the latest). I should be glad I'm in the home stretch, but I'm only getting more anxious as time goes on. It's been so hard to focus at work... I wish I could just put it out of my head!

Less than two weeks to go, and I have heard nothing from the school I prefer that waitlisted me for an interview back in January. It's fine. Everything. Is. Fine.

My neighbors blare a TV every single day, for multiple hours. I've reached out to the property managers here but they basically said handle it yourself, and nothing changed, which is the same thing that happened last time I brought up this problem. I only have 4 months left on my lease, but it's terrible living here. I have to wear ear plugs to sleep and listen to white noise to be able to concentrate on work.

I'm also really afraid to keep asking them to turn their TV down, because it seems to get worse every time I complain. I also get super anxious that they might do something to sabotage my living situation or (somehow?) my future situation and future lease. They have a way to find out my name, and unfortunately there's a lot people can do once they have that, and these people have shown no consideration for others at all.

Can't wait for the minute I move out.

Edited by GradPerson
More venting :D