Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I'm still waiting for my official letter from the school I'm currently planning to attend. Why does it take so long? I need to at least know about funding, and it would really settle my anxiety to have everything officially settled.

On that note, can my last couple schools officially reject me? There's still a tiny part of me that's dreaming of UCSD even though I know it's pretty much too late

43 minutes ago, Jenny01 said:

I just want to know!!! I think the wait has officially become worse than the process which I did not think was possible. 

Same here. I've got quite a few schools (and I've complained/vented about this frequently I guess) that have sent out acceptances. Some have sent out rejections too and my inbox is empty. I want to look at it as a good thing--maybe I'm waitlisted--but I feel hopelessly inadequate. 

I am freaking out. The waiting has been so bad for my anxiety. I just finished an interview with a student representative of the admissions committee and I feel like I completely bombed it.

Also an POI from another school I had been in contact with hasn't reached out to me in three weeks after she said that it was possible that I would be on the waitlist. I saw an informal acceptance from that school a couple of weeks ago and since she said she would be in touch with me, I don't know what to think. Did I get rejected? Why is she not reaching out? I also called the school today to ask about when results would come out and I was told that they were still in the process of making decisions but they should be up soon. Something about her voice made me think that acceptances have probably gone out (at least informally) and that I should probably expect bad news. I don't know what to think and I love this school so much. I feel that they have been getting my hopes up just to reject me in the ends. This is so stressful, I feel like I am going crazy and reading too much into the situation.

19 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

I am freaking out. The waiting has been so bad for my anxiety. I just finished an interview with a student representative of the admissions committee and I feel like I completely bombed it.

Also an POI from another school I had been in contact with hasn't reached out to me in three weeks after she said that it was possible that I would be on the waitlist. I saw an informal acceptance from that school a couple of weeks ago and since she said she would be in touch with me, I don't know what to think. Did I get rejected? Why is she not reaching out? I also called the school today to ask about when results would come out and I was told that they were still in the process of making decisions but they should be up soon. Something about her voice made me think that acceptances have probably gone out (at least informally) and that I should probably expect bad news. I don't know what to think and I love this school so much. I feel that they have been getting my hopes up just to reject me in the ends. This is so stressful, I feel like I am going crazy and reading too much into the situation.

You are not alone. I totally feel the same, but about scholarships. We're all in the same boat, the waiting is so tough. I really hope you get in. And worst case scenario, you apply next year (which will allow you to be an even stronger applicant than you are now). Good luck! 

Edited by Adelaide9216

My program coordinator assigned me as the student contact to one of the admitted students and the student hasn't emailed me yet. I know it's minor, but I am really enjoying the program and want to sell it! Would it be forward if I just emailed her?

8 minutes ago, bibliophile222 said:

My program coordinator assigned me as the student contact to one of the admitted students and the student hasn't emailed me yet. I know it's minor, but I am really enjoying the program and want to sell it! Would it be forward if I just emailed her?

I think it might be nice. She may just be nervous and not know what to say, so you reaching out and saying hi and introducing yourself may help put her at ease. 

I've just got back from two promising grad school visits and all I want is to know if I'm in or not!  This is an insanely common vent I know but it sure does feel good to write it out and send it to the masses :)

My wife and I are dying to know if we're staying in our current city (Wash DC) or moving somewhere new in the fall.  Ahh!!

The last post in my major's subforum was at the beginning of January and there will be no news from schools I applied to until March. There are generally no interviews either to go off of. I'm just sitting in a large abyss of uncertainty and it's terrible. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

the wait. The Wait. THE WAIT. THE WAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT. [insert neurotic, freaking-out face emoji here, which someone really needs to make, btw]. Maybe this one: ?

Seriously, surely there are applicants who are just a flat-out NO from the get-go. My ideal world: At least do us the courtesy of cutting us loose as soon as you adcoms realize we haven't got a snowball's chance in you-know-where. I can mentally deal with the wait for a wait-list or an accept. If I wait this out and it's a rejection, I might print out my application and then set it ablaze in the firepit. ?

[Immediately checks application portal and the Grad Cafe Forums after submitting this post].

Now that I have an offer with funding, my partner and I finally talked about how the distance will impact our relationship.

It feels bad to know that we both want to be with each other but each knows the distance won't work. We are just going to enjoy the time we have left and keep planned vacations, go to a family member's wedding, etc. So, I suppose I'm venting because it's going to hurt to go through all that my first semester, it hurts to anticipate it and keep developing a relationship we know will end, and I'm also annoyed that quick and affordable public transportation (like a train) is so lacking in this country. 

I am annoyed at the people in other threads and on the results page who have been wait listed for a program and are announcing that people who have been accepted should hurry up and decide. The real kicker I saw said something along the lines of: if you got in can you please turn it down if you have other offers because this school is my first choice.

The sheer entitlement. 

Also annoying: people who got into programs they applied to but don't want to go there (?), so now they are bashing the only school that accepted them, that they applied to. Moaning and groaning about having to go through a second application cycle. Why did you apply if you were going to be a snob about it? So you could add it to the list of institutions you got to turn down? Jokes on you.

Being able to pursue a career in academia is privilege. It is not a given right. Whatever you think of yourself doesn't  allow you to feel entitled to anything. 

Everyone who pursues a career in academia works hard. Nobody owes you anything. You are not the smartest person in the room. 

Ermm, I don't know how to out this into words.

The day before yesterday, I had a really bad interview. I already got an admission offer from my top choice, but I scheduled the interview dates earlier. So I didn't want to just bail out on the interviews, figured that would be disrespectful. I am an international student so all the interviews were  teleconference ones. So, this program scheduled two interviews and one writing task for me (on-line). The first one went really well. The second one however went absolutely horrible. My internet connection decided to die on me minutes into the interview. Also there were tons of other technical difficulties in the middle of the interview, that left me bit shaky and all. So I got asked about the facilities I wanted to work with and about their research. I could not even answer that question properly. They asked if I read any of their publications, I said I did. ( like 3 days back). When asked, I couldn't remember anything from their papers. I was so ashamed of myself, I still am. Firstly, it was just a really bad day. Secondly, I didn't really think the second interview will be a formal one just like the first interview, so I didn't prep accordingly (as in going through the papers again). I am just super annoyed at myself. The facilities must be bashing their heads against their table because they even considered giving a shot to an applicant like myself. 

Can anyone of you pls tell me how major of a fuck up it was? I am just super sad and this is all I could think about in the past two days. 

20 hours ago, fluffercloud said:

Ermm, I don't know how to out this into words.

The day before yesterday, I had a really bad interview. I already got an admission offer from my top choice, but I scheduled the interview dates earlier. So I didn't want to just bail out on the interviews, figured that would be disrespectful. I am an international student so all the interviews were  teleconference ones. So, this program scheduled two interviews and one writing task for me (on-line). The first one went really well. The second one however went absolutely horrible. My internet connection decided to die on me minutes into the interview. Also there were tons of other technical difficulties in the middle of the interview, that left me bit shaky and all. So I got asked about the facilities I wanted to work with and about their research. I could not even answer that question properly. They asked if I read any of their publications, I said I did. ( like 3 days back). When asked, I couldn't remember anything from their papers. I was so ashamed of myself, I still am. Firstly, it was just a really bad day. Secondly, I didn't really think the second interview will be a formal one just like the first interview, so I didn't prep accordingly (as in going through the papers again). I am just super annoyed at myself. The facilities must be bashing their heads against their table because they even considered giving a shot to an applicant like myself. 

Can anyone of you pls tell me how major of a fuck up it was? I am just super sad and this is all I could think about in the past two days. 

You said that you already got an admission offer from your top choice school, so why would any of this really matter?

9 hours ago, LizKay said:

You said that you already got an admission offer from your top choice school, so why would any of this really matter?

I don't think that's fair. I'm not @fluffercloud but I think that what they just wanted to express their frustration and disappointment about all of this and there is nothing wrong with that. I think that it is ok to feel bad about an interview not going as well as you wanted it to even though you already have options. The title of this thread says "vent about anything", so I think this should be a place where people are not judged for what they post or how the feel. 

For what it's worth fluffercloud, I understand that it might very frustrating, and you might feel inadequate or at least that you gave that impression to the admissions committee, but I think that as human beings they understand that people sometimes have bad days. From what I understand you talked to them in two other occasions (including the writing task?), and you felt that you did well, so they know that you are a capable person. Also technical issues are out of your control and they should be understanding of that. Don't worry, you probably did fine, you did not make them question their decision to give you a chance and one seemingly bad interview will not ruin your chances. If it does, then it just wasn't meant to be. You also have gotten into your top choice so that means that someone saw something in you and thought it was worth it so, you're fine. Don't worry! You got this :)

5 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

I don't think that's fair. I'm not @fluffercloud but I think that what they just wanted to express their frustration and disappointment about all of this and there is nothing wrong with that. I think that it is ok to feel bad about an interview not going as well as you wanted it to even though you already have options. The title of this thread says "vent about anything", so I think this should be a place where people are not judged for what they post or how the feel. 

Fluffercloud asked, “Can anyone of you pls tell me how major of a fuck up it was?” And I’m saying that it wasn’t. It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things since he/she still has a great offer despite it.