Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

4 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I keep having nightmares about my apps. Even though I know they're all in and complete, I keep having incredibly specific stress dreams about missing components, missed deadlines, and/or rejections. I wish my brain would just rest!

same for scholarships apps. 

My classes start again on Monday, and most people STILL haven't heard about TA assignments. Since TA-ing this year is a program requirement, I feel like someone should have an answer by now, but maybe none of us got one...

As someone who likes to plan, not knowing what my schedule will be like for this upcoming term is starting to drive me nuts.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:35 AM, madamoiselle said:

I CANNOT DEAL WITH FINDING HOUSING IN THE BAY AREA. My froomie and I have submitted tens of applications and were so close to getting one, but it just fell through yesterday. I've successfully dealt with some rough housing markets, and everybody talks about how difficult the bay is, but I feel like I've grossly underestimated it. I'm only 23 and have very "young" credit (it's even considered rather good for my age), but I've seen some apartments in the Berkeley SUBURBS require a 680+ before a guarantor. Ughhhhhh

The insanely absurd housing/living costs for graduate students at UC-Berkeley was the reason why I did not apply to their program in my field. I just posted recently a comment about some universities' lack of on-campus housing for their graduate students. For some of us, that is a major element of the equation to apply and/or to accept an offer of admission. Apparently this does not cross the minds of decision-makers involved in graduate students' recruitment or of faculty and administrators dwelling on the prestige of their program or their graduate schools. They lose excellent applicants as a result of this. Instead of sending the application, I went to a pub and drank the money for the application fee. ?

When ur alone in a transit hotel in china having just said goodbye to the love of ur life for another 5 months (who is not in china - just transiting) and ur next door neighbor in the hotel is some creepy old dude you talked to out of politness in the little shuttlebus on the way here and is now drunk and keeps banging ur door (and after staff told him to leave now through the walls) and telling that he wants to give u a 'good night kiss'. Some men are pig (and then im expressing it nicely) for real. And the exact reason why i hate long transits and traveling alone. FML

41 minutes ago, Psygeek said:

When ur alone in a transit hotel in china having just said goodbye to the love of ur life for another 5 months (who is not in china - just transiting) and ur next door neighbor in the hotel is some creepy old dude you talked to out of politness in the little shuttlebus on the way here and is now drunk and keeps banging ur door (and after staff told him to leave now through the walls) and telling that he wants to give u a 'good night kiss'. Some men are pig (and then im expressing it nicely) for real. And the exact reason why i hate long transits and traveling alone. FML

*hugs*

I am soooooo annoyed by one of my LOR writers (yes, the same one I had previously complained about). The worst part is that he is one of my favorite people and I hate having to constantly remind him about deadlines. I sent him a list of deadlines, I send the recommendation link 1 week before the application is due and I send a reminder message the day before it is due. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO. Also because I have him as a friend on Facebook I know when he is online, and I just want to tell him l"dude you have internet access, you have submitted most of my letters you just need to change the name of the school and upload them it's not that hard"! I know that he is probably busy because has young children and they are time consuming but he submitted one of the letters like two weeks in advance, why can't he do that with the last two? I am so close to being done with my applications. I just want to not think about them.

1 hour ago, perpetualalligator said:

I am soooooo annoyed by one of my LOR writers (yes, the same one I had previously complained about). The worst part is that he is one of my favorite people and I hate having to constantly remind him about deadlines. I sent him a list of deadlines, I send the recommendation link 1 week before the application is due and I send a reminder message the day before it is due. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO. Also because I have him as a friend on Facebook I know when he is online, and I just want to tell him l"dude you have internet access, you have submitted most of my letters you just need to change the name of the school and upload them it's not that hard"! I know that he is probably busy because has young children and they are time consuming but he submitted one of the letters like two weeks in advance, why can't he do that with the last two? I am so close to being done with my applications. I just want to not think about them.

I totally understand the feeling. I hate when LOR writers are last minute. So anxiety-provoking on top of that. 

I checked my horoscope for the first time in years and it said today would be a challenging day for me. I'm convinced that means that my first rejection will be coming today and now I can't stop checking my email anticipating it. It's not even 9 am. 

This is a nightmare.

This thread seems like a good void to shout this into:

I did some light googling of my POIs the other night and stumbled upon one of their pinterest boards...full of erotica. Public and with their name on it. I'm 100% sure it's actually them and not someone with the same name, because of other context clues. Is this a red flag or just a sign that I should stop googling people and pretend I never saw this?

Edited by ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes
typo

24 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

This thread seems like a good void to shout this into:

I did some light googling of my POIs the other night and stumbled upon one of their pinterest boards...full of erotica. Public and with their name on it. I'm 100% sure it's actually them and not someone with the same name, because of other context clues. Is this a red flag or just a sign that I should stop googling people and pretend I never saw this?

I think that's a bit of a red flag. Like, they should know how to hide that stuff. 

3 minutes ago, RefreshQueen said:

I think that's a bit of a red flag. Like, they should know how to hide that stuff. 

Right?! Like I don't care that it exists but no one should be able to find it. And this is the only person who I've already committed to interview with ?

Just now, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

Right?! Like I don't care that it exists but no one should be able to find it. And this is the only person who I've already committed to interview with ?

Yeah. It's not a big deal that they have it, you just shouldn't know about it. And I've tried calling my department to see if all the interviews have been sent out but I keep getting directed to the wrong department. I may explode if I have to say psychology one more time

Just feeling lonely. Probably because I haven't spoken to anyone other than my apartment manager and parents since Saturday... I'm not teaching or taking classes this semester. First time ever. I should probably make sure I have some social interaction with someone other than my mentor, lol.

I have a job interview in a few minutes. I'm scared that I am not qualified for this job, but at the same time, am aware that I am probably under-estimating myself because my competencies and work experience do align with what they are looking for. I guess it's just being nervous about doing something I have never done before. But it's also related topic on the TAship that my master's thesis supervisor gave to me this term. 

Feeling kind of unsure with what to do next as far as career goes. Haven't been invited to an interview yet by any of the schools I applied to. I'm debating if the academic route is even worth it at this point. I mean if it's this hard to get into grad school, it'll be even harder to get into a career. I want to go into social neuroscience but my mom is suggesting I do something else with my bachelor's like go into marketing. I feel like I'd hate business life but I really don't want to keep applying year after year and be rejected year after year. I don't see myself doing anything but academia, but I'm afraid I'm just not good enough for the field at this point.

1 hour ago, socneuro said:

Feeling kind of unsure with what to do next as far as career goes. Haven't been invited to an interview yet by any of the schools I applied to. I'm debating if the academic route is even worth it at this point. I mean if it's this hard to get into grad school, it'll be even harder to get into a career. I want to go into social neuroscience but my mom is suggesting I do something else with my bachelor's like go into marketing. I feel like I'd hate business life but I really don't want to keep applying year after year and be rejected year after year. I don't see myself doing anything but academia, but I'm afraid I'm just not good enough for the field at this point.

Having gone out of academics to business and back - I dont think at this point I love academics as much as I expected nor hate business that much..

One of my friends is going to the United Nations in March to speak about women’s issues. I could’ve applied as well to be part of this but I did not because I wasn’t confident I’d get selected. I also think I am not experienced enough to talk about these issues. I feel bad, I should have applied instead of having impostor syndrome as my research is directly on this topic.