Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Two of my letter writers still haven't submitted their LORs for the NSF GRFP and they are due tomorrow at 5pm.....so anxious.....why are they doing this?....I sure hope they submit them on time.....I have reminded them multiple times and gave them plenty of time to get it done.....

Edited by Moods 2.0

7 hours ago, Moods said:

Two of my letter writers still haven't submitted their LORs for the NSF GRFP and they are due tomorrow at 5pm.....so anxious.....why are they doing this?....I sure hope they submit them on time.....I have reminded them multiple times and gave them plenty of time to get it done.....

Urrrghh I hate when that happens. A lot of profs are last minute

My WiFi is going horrendously slowly for no reason. I have to download pdfs on my phone and email them to myself because I can't open them on Blackboard.

And now that I've downloaded it I can't upload it into my email.

Filling with silent rage.

Edited by bibliophile222

Somehow feel more discouraged after meeting with my advisor today. Spent an excessive amount time talking about my 'plan B' in the case that I'm not offered acceptance at any of the programs I'm applying too. We ran out of time before we even really got to look over my SOP, which is why I set the meeting in the first place. The fact that someone doesn't ~believe~ in me isn't ordinarily a big deal, but it is when you're counting on this person to write you a great letter of rec... ?

Edited by b3lljar

I feel anxious & guilty every time I'm not transcribing interviews. Sometimes, immediately after I decide to have a break from that task. The worst part is that I am right on my schedule (I plan to finish it all for December 7th) and made a week by week schedule for that task. I always feel like I'm not doing enough, that there's always something left to be done. Wow. Everybody knows I'm a hard worker and I know I am. But I still fear not being able to finish my thesis in February. I also fear producing something that is not "quality research" because I want to produce good work. I did not expect this to be so challenging for my perfectionist and control freak sides of my personality. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

6 hours ago, kgras13 said:

I'm getting a ton of conflicting information regarding my SOP drafts and it's making me really stressed out and unsure how to proceed. I'm nearly at the point where I'm even questioning my decision to apply. 

I totally understand the feeling. I'd ask for the advice of two people max (plus potential supervisor) that are already in the program you want to apply in.

2 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I feel anxious & guilty every time I'm not transcribing interviews. Sometimes, immediately after I decide to have a break from that task. The worst part is that I am right on my schedule (I plan to finish it all for December 7th) and made a week by week schedule for that task. I always feel like I'm not doing enough, that there's always something left to be done. Wow. Everybody knows I'm a hard worker and I know I am. But I still fear not being able to finish my thesis in February. I also fear producing something that is not "quality research" because I want to produce good work. I did not expect this to be so challenging for my perfectionist and control freak sides of my personality. 

You want to get that thinknig pattern under control ASAP - all I can say it will get worse during the PhD

How the hell am I meant to ascertain fit from a list of overly broad research interests on a faculty bio page that might not even be current?

Major props to the programs whose faculty list recent publications & book projects on their bios though. Just wish everybody did that :(

I finally decided to talk to my friends about how lonely and isolated I feel and how I can't be the only one who plans social events that I can participate in remotely.

I was met largely was awkward silence. I know that it makes them feel bad. But this is the exact reaction I expect and it sucks.

You can't keep saying you'll be there for me, but then mean in a "we can drive 4 hours and meet each other in the middle" kinda way. Long distance friendships exist. But I can't be the only one putting time and energy into it. And it doesn't help when you ignore me when I bring up these problems. I know we aren't face to face so it's easy to do. But it just demonstrates my point how how I feel isolated. I know it makes you feel bad when I bring these things up. But I can't pretend to be happy with the situation indefinitely. 

2 hours ago, Halek said:

I finally decided to talk to my friends about how lonely and isolated I feel and how I can't be the only one who plans social events that I can participate in remotely.

I was met largely was awkward silence. I know that it makes them feel bad. But this is the exact reaction I expect and it sucks.

You can't keep saying you'll be there for me, but then mean in a "we can drive 4 hours and meet each other in the middle" kinda way. Long distance friendships exist. But I can't be the only one putting time and energy into it. And it doesn't help when you ignore me when I bring up these problems. I know we aren't face to face so it's easy to do. But it just demonstrates my point how how I feel isolated. I know it makes you feel bad when I bring these things up. But I can't pretend to be happy with the situation indefinitely. 

I just wanted to let you know that I also feel isolated. Take care. ❤️ 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:00 AM, GlacierPoint said:

Major props to the programs whose faculty list recent publications & book projects on their bios though.

You may consider looking up the faculty you may be interested in on google scholar as it is usually kept up to date.

37 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

I'm approaching end of the semester burnout but I still have so much to do...

Same! It's like pulling teeth to get myself to do even the most basic writing task--except posting in Grad Cafe, of course. ?