Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I wish that I had a support system here. I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety and having no one at all here to lean on is making it really hard. I'm more worried about being alone here for 6 years than I am about course work or research. 

On 8/25/2018 at 1:08 PM, Halek said:

I wish that I had a support system here. I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety and having no one at all here to lean on is making it really hard. I'm more worried about being alone here for 6 years than I am about course work or research. 

Doesn't your university have a free counseling center?  You don't have to go through this alone.  (I have horrid social phobia myself and have availed myself of therapists, psychiatrists, and support groups).  

On 8/19/2018 at 8:13 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

So I moved and I am happy of course but the first few days are tough because I am lonely in a mostly empty apartment. I hooked up with a guy last night too and it was awful lol. Why am I such an awkward person?

Page 100 of grown ups complaining about their lives. Yayyy!

Oh no, I swear this was in page 100. Someone deleted their posts ?

Anyway so the first week went okay I guess. I'm bad at talking to people but I seem to get along with some students. Le sigh.

Nothing good came out of the bolded. Be safe everybody.

On 8/30/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Doesn't your university have a free counseling center?  You don't have to go through this alone.  (I have horrid social phobia myself and have availed myself of therapists, psychiatrists, and support groups).  

I'm currently signed up for a group.....but I'm the first one to sign up. So who knows when it'll start. Also, there are rules against making friends in the group. Which makes sense. But I feel like I'm grasping at straws.

Everyone keeps saying "just wait it'll happen". But I've lived in so many places where I've been there half a year and still haven't been close to anyone and I'm so scared of that happening again. 

20 hours ago, Halek said:

I'm currently signed up for a group.....but I'm the first one to sign up. So who knows when it'll start. Also, there are rules against making friends in the group. Which makes sense. But I feel like I'm grasping at straws.

Everyone keeps saying "just wait it'll happen". But I've lived in so many places where I've been there half a year and still haven't been close to anyone and I'm so scared of that happening again. 

❤️ 

Pivoting a bit but I really need to vent. I've spent hundreds of dollars on tutors and spent literally months of my life GRE studying and I barely got my math score up 6 points according to the ETS test. I'm just super disheartened and very upset that my lack of math skills will ruin my chances at top English programs. 

I really need to find something that fills my Wednesday nights. All the friends two states away get together and I can't help but feel like I'm disappearing or something. 

I did try out a dnd group here. It was a pretty horrible fit. I'm in a rural area and it looks like that might be the only group looking for players here. 

I just read an article directed at young scientists that ends with: 

Does science feel like a job, or is it the case that vocation matches avocation, such that you can’t wait to get to the lab, such that it does not feel like work at all? If so, nothing can stop you and may you indeed “stay, forever young.”

Does anyone actually feel that way? I think the idea that grad school doesn't or shouldn't feel like work is ludicrous...

50 minutes ago, Butterfly_effect said:

I just read an article directed at young scientists that ends with: 

Does science feel like a job, or is it the case that vocation matches avocation, such that you can’t wait to get to the lab, such that it does not feel like work at all? If so, nothing can stop you and may you indeed “stay, forever young.”

Does anyone actually feel that way? I think the idea that grad school doesn't or shouldn't feel like work is ludicrous...

As written, you're post conflates work and job. Perhaps the writer is indicating that there's a difference between working at one's craft and having a job where one works, and that scientists (and others) can find a higher sense of self efficacy when  "vocation matches avocation."

Anxious a little bit about next class because a former classmate (and now a current student for the class I am TAing for) screamed on the first day of the course that I have done a TEDx talk. Everyone applauded. Instructor asked that I send her the link so she can send it to the class. She did not know I had done a TEDx talk, I was quite low profile about it because it's regarding my mental health journey. I'm used to have people talking to me about this, but I'm afraid it will bring students who are struggling to share personal stories regarding their mental health in university and I am unsure where to draw the line about my role regarding this since this is the first class I am TAing, ever. Wow. 

I have to get a crown on my tooth tomorrow. And I got my first ever ticket, and I have to go to court, and I am nervous about that.

My mentor might not be here my last year, and that would really suck. I may try to rush through my dissertation and get it done this year just in case. But, that would mean leaving my friends a lot earlier then I expected and moving to god-knows-where. On the other hand, it would mean having a real job and being able to make real money.

Just feeling anxious, like I am holding my breath until this whole thing ends.

I legit don't understand why it is so hard for me to find a boyfriend. I'm smart, kind, good listener, mature, etc. People tell me I am pretty. Yet, at almost 26, I have been single my entire life. I hate this shit.

Edited by Adelaide9216

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I legit don't understand why it is so hard for me to find a boyfriend. I'm smart, kind, good listener, mature, etc. People tell me I am pretty. Yet, at almost 26, I have been single my entire life. I hate this shit.

I feel that...my younger brother just started undergrad and he's already in a great relationship and I've had nothing but rotten luck. I mean, I'm happy for him but it's still hard. 

A year ago, I was accepted into this multi-university "project" that organizes events and sponsors research and "collaboration" on a topic really relevant to my research. I actually found out about the project because I had a chapter solicited for a book that some faculty working with this project. Then last month I got an email from a.) Informing me that I'd been left off the listserve for the entire year and thus hadn't been notified of any events, and b.) giving the program for their final "team meeting"--because this was apparently their last year of existence--where the one rockstar student in my department was giving a presentation on the exact topics of my book chapter. And I am just venting here: but I really don't know why they h*** they bothered to tell me about the listserve and the year of missed opportunities and this d*** meeting--which was, by the time I got the email, one two weeks away, and located outside the U.S., so it's not like I could have possibly attended anyway. And then my advisors (who are also the advisors of the advisors of said rockstar student) act like they don't understand why I would have possibly wanted to at that meeting.

Edited by janaca

Veterans of the armed services, especially army veterans with an 18-series MOS, bitching about American civilians having the temerity to live their lives as they see fit.