Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I want to apologize in advance if my vent is somewhat lengthy, but due to the fact that my management at my hospital sucks and they do not listen to healthcare workers, and in addition due to the limp wristed nursing staff that doesn't give a crap I find myself venting here. Without giving out too much detail let me say that my occupation is that I'm a healthcare worker here in the state of California and I just so happen to work at a local hospital. My current job duties is basically monitoring and managing psychiatric patients. Today, coming into work we've had a patient who for privacy purposes I'll call "Patient A" who has been here for approximately 39 hours (which is far too long for my department as we do not hold patients that long here) who, is admitted for having an altered level of consciousness. Needless to say this patient needs one person to watch him. Unfortunately this "re-directable" patient need all my attention but I have three other patients with similar psychiatric issues. The problem that I have is the understaffing issue that goes on in my department and the undue stress of being tasked to do multiple things when I'm by myself. I try and talk to our management about those issues but it goes in one ear and out the other.

I literally have to hold my last LOR writer's hand for every deadline. I told them in September about the deadlines. I give them a two days heads up and sometimes even have to reminde them the day of the deadline. I have three more schools they need to write letters to. I already applied to all of my schools, and I am only waiting on them. I know letter writers are being nice offering to write recommendations on our behalf, but this sort of situation is still aggravating.

I'm kinda upset. I finished the first draft of my Results section of my master's thesis. But I am very uncertain about if I analyzed my data in the "right" way. I had a lot of trouble summarizing all that's been said in my interviews and focus groups and coming up with themes....I am meeting with my supervisor tomorrow and we'll talk about that.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:33 PM, Moods said:

I literally have to hold my last LOR writer's hand for every deadline. I told them in September about the deadlines. I give them a two days heads up and sometimes even have to reminde them the day of the deadline. I have three more schools they need to write letters to. I already applied to all of my schools, and I am only waiting on them. I know letter writers are being nice offering to write recommendations on our behalf, but this sort of situation is still aggravating. 

I hate this so much, I am in the same situation!! I have an application due today and my professor still hasn't submitted it. I sent them the recommendation link yesterday and I also emailed them today telling them that I sent the link. I bet they're busy and stuff and it's the end of the semester but they also said that they would submit it yesterday. What really upsets me is that they were once in our position so they know how stressful it is!!!

Well....for some dumb reason I decided to redownload a dating app while I was in my hometown and I met this really great guy who was interested in me...but of course I'm hardly ever IN my hometown, so he said it won't work because of the distance. :(

When people say I am popular or a "star", I laugh at that. Today, I celebrated my 26th birthday and half of the fifteen people I have invited cancelled on me. I literally spent 40 minutes at the restaurant on my own, feeling very awkward because I was alone on a table of 15 people just waiting for everyone to arrive. Finally, 6 people came but I still feel dissapointed because I almost cried while waiting during that 40 minutes on my own like an idiot. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

When people say I am popular or a "star", I laugh at that. Today, I celebrated my 26th birthday and half of the fifteen people I have invited cancelled on me. I literally spent 40 minutes at the restaurant on my own, feeling very awkward because I was alone on a table of 15 people just waiting for everyone to arrive. Finally, 6 people came but I still feel dissapointed because I almost cried while waiting during that 40 minutes on my own like an idiot. 

Oh, @Adelaide9216, I'm so sorry to hear that happened. :( If it makes you feel any better, I think more people wished me happy birthday on Grad Cafe than in real life...even my friend that I've had since I was five forgot to text me. 

Just got home for the holiday, and I already want to go back to school. My hometown sucks, and my parents always talk about the most mundane things. I realize this sounds pretentious, but we honestly have nothing interesting to discuss. It's been like this since undergrad started. They don't ever ask me about what classes I take, and although I have mentioned graduate school applications for a long time now, neither has asked what I want to study. I would honestly be surprised if they knew, after nearly four years, what my major is.

Ah, well. At least I get to see my dogs for the second time this year.

After combing through gradcafe the whole week, I feel like my chances for applications to be accepted has gone down. However! I think I have plan B, finding a stable job and move on! Nothing much can be done if no school thinks I"m worth it! 

I can't get off this website!! I'm just making myself more anxious. Now I think I'm totally screwed because I didn't reach out to any potential advisors. I didn't think it was super necessary in this field but someone with similar stats to me attributes it to her success in applying last year! It's too late at this point and I may have thrown away my chances just because I have email anxiety. Ahhhhh I just need to get an acceptance. At least an interview! So I know I'm not a total failure

36 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

I can't get off this website!! I'm just making myself more anxious. Now I think I'm totally screwed because I didn't reach out to any potential advisors. I didn't think it was super necessary in this field but someone with similar stats to me attributes it to her success in applying last year! It's too late at this point and I may have thrown away my chances just because I have email anxiety. Ahhhhh I just need to get an acceptance. At least an interview! So I know I'm not a total failure

I read on here someone got multiple interviews without reaching out to anyone prior to applying. Don’t give up hope! Hopefully after winter break ??

I'm frustrated with many people. I taught a graduate course this past term, and I'm shocked at how irresponsible several of the students were. I get that coursework isn't always a priority, but when it's five days past the due date for a major assignment and you haven't so much as said, "sorry, this will be late," that's bad.

I'm also involved with program admissions and orientation (mainly sending out emails and scheduling things), and I'm shocked by the rudeness of some people and the inability of other people to check their email and reply with a simple yes or no.

My prelims are also finally coming up in about 2 weeks. While most of my committee has been helpful with preparation, one committee member basically told me that their question would be more of problem solving question and doesn't require reading papers and studying. About a month out, they decided to give me a few review papers to help guide my thinking. Now they've suddenly sent me a bunch of papers to read. Sigh.

6 hours ago, shadowclaw said:

I'm frustrated with many people. I taught a graduate course this past term, and I'm shocked at how irresponsible several of the students were. I get that coursework isn't always a priority, but when it's five days past the due date for a major assignment and you haven't so much as said, "sorry, this will be late," that's bad.

I'm also involved with program admissions and orientation (mainly sending out emails and scheduling things), and I'm shocked by the rudeness of some people and the inability of other people to check their email and reply with a simple yes or no.

My prelims are also finally coming up in about 2 weeks. While most of my committee has been helpful with preparation, one committee member basically told me that their question would be more of problem solving question and doesn't require reading papers and studying. About a month out, they decided to give me a few review papers to help guide my thinking. Now they've suddenly sent me a bunch of papers to read. Sigh.

You are surrounded by a lot of people with serious problems of communication. Students should explain in private their inability to meet deadlines. Those professors are disorganized and unprofessional as well. Be patient since there is little you can do under those circumstances. I would advise those students to be more responsible and, for the future, I would include in the syllabus the consequences for not handing work as scheduled in the course syllabus or that they MUST talk to you in private about any problems they might have surrounding the work they have to do. 

Edited by Ciboney

I keep having nightmares about my apps. Even though I know they're all in and complete, I keep having incredibly specific stress dreams about missing components, missed deadlines, and/or rejections. I wish my brain would just rest!