Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

On 3/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, bibliophile222 said:

I'm in a similar position. My cohort has been tight-knit from the beginning and it really bums me out that a class we had a few weeks ago was probably the last time I'll see everyone together again. I wish we had known somehow and hung out before it was too late. The sad thing is that I'm a horrible correspondent, and as much as I want to keep in touch with everyone, I can see myself drifting away over time. I have a hard time making friends, and it was wonderful to so suddenly be friends (or at least friendly acquaintainces) with 17 other people. I'm hoping I can at least keep in touch with the few who stay in-state and go out to lunch when all this is over.

Same. I'm really bad keeping in touch with people. I hope I can travel with these friends and keep them for life, but we'll see what happens. I'm pretty good at making friends and people seem to like me, but I'm very selective in who I want to be friends with, and these have been some of my favorite people ever. I don't think I'll ever have a group like them again.

On 3/1/2020 at 6:11 AM, LazarusRises said:

Welcome to America, where billionaires profit hourly off the sick, the incarcerated, and anyone pursuing higher education.

Get out there and vote this season.

I think it is just as shocking for everyone leaving their parents' plans and getting their own.  Or those monthly bills that come every month, month after month.  Certainly lends a new appreciation to how much support we truly get from our parents. 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I'm very empathetic when I think of all the people with mental health challenges (especially anxiety) who must be going through an extremely though time right now due to COVID-19. I am not that anxious of a person, and I cannot imagine. I was bombarded with messages, emails, notifications, news reports, every 5 minutes (literally) on COVID-19. I can't imagine those who feel extremely anxious over this.

I have been suffering from GAD and panic attacks since about 2002 or so.  Ironically, I am at my most calm right now, although I had my first panic in a week and a half yesterday morning.   

14 hours ago, Crucial BBQ said:

I think it is just as shocking for everyone leaving their parents' plans and getting their own.  Or those monthly bills that come every month, month after month.  Certainly lends a new appreciation to how much support we truly get from our parents. 

I have been suffering from GAD and panic attacks since about 2002 or so.  Ironically, I am at my most calm right now, although I had my first panic in a week and a half yesterday morning.   

Yes, I also live with mental health challenges and have been for many years. However, I am beyond surprised by now calm and relax I am right now. I am coping very well with everything that is happening. I guess, when you experience the worst, and you've survived it, nothing can scare you much after that...that's the only explanation I have.

Stay strong! ❤️ 

I have OCD and GAD and feel the same way - oddly calm. Like I had a small panic attack about 3 weeks ago but since then felt fairly calm. I think it's partly that this doesn't feel completely real and partly because years of OCD therapy have somewhat prepared me for this kind of fear.

I don't have an emotional disorder. So I noticed for me that the first couple of days I was very upset and cried more than I normally do. But then I had to settle down and work on my dissertation, and just having that thing that I had to do and focus on made me a lot happier.

WELL YOU WANT IT...

So I got admitted to a PhD program that that I finally decide to attend. I had had 4 other offers, some even higher ranked schools that the one I accepted to join. I rejected all those 4 offers and accepted this program. 

Then what happened?

This school emailed me and said that they had to cancel all the admissions for my program. So they had to rescind all the offers they made. Probably because of COVID19. I was shocked. 

I contacted all the other 4 schools I rejected and asked if I could be reconsidered for the position. They said that they already gave my spot to waitlisted students and informed them. So I literally went from 5 offers to choose from to 0. 

At the moment, I am all fucked. Not sure how anything will resolve. 

What I don't get is that how they can be so unprofessional. It makes NO SENSE.

15 hours ago, kemalgider said:

WELL YOU WANT IT...

So I got admitted to a PhD program that that I finally decide to attend. I had had 4 other offers, some even higher ranked schools that the one I accepted to join. I rejected all those 4 offers and accepted this program. 

Then what happened?

This school emailed me and said that they had to cancel all the admissions for my program. So they had to rescind all the offers they made. Probably because of COVID19. I was shocked. 

I contacted all the other 4 schools I rejected and asked if I could be reconsidered for the position. They said that they already gave my spot to waitlisted students and informed them. So I literally went from 5 offers to choose from to 0. 

WTF 

I can't imagine there are, but you woul think there would be legal ramifactions for this. Did you put down a deposit? 

On 4/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, kemalgider said:

WELL YOU WANT IT...

Then what happened?

I find it odd they would send you an email without telling you why they had to rescind on decisions.  Did you at least contact this school?  Perhaps not what you want to hear, but if you were admitted to 5 programs you stand a decent chance of doing so again next cycle.  

22 hours ago, fauna876 said:

WTF 

I can't imagine there are, but you woul think there would be legal ramifactions for this. Did you put down a deposit? 

I did not put down a deposit yet but I literally rejected all my offers for this school.

12 hours ago, Crucial BBQ said:

I find it odd they would send you an email without telling you why they had to rescind on decisions.  Did you at least contact this school?  Perhaps not what you want to hear, but if you were admitted to 5 programs you stand a decent chance of doing so again next cycle.  

They did not give any explanations whatsoever for the reason why they rescinded the offers. I contacted the school and they did not help much with it.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, kemalgider said:

WELL YOU WANT IT...

Then what happened?

What the....

?

With just a few more days before signing day - I'm getting worried. I got an acceptance but was told I would be hearing about a financial offer at a later date. I asked end of March if they knew when that would be - they said earliest April 1, and that the circumstances surrounding COVID were delaying these offer decisions. But now, with what's been brought up in this thread - I'm wondering if there's a chance that there won't be any funding or if the admission offer will be rescinded. I find myself even more on the edge of my seat than I was waiting for responses in the first place. 

In a two-day span, I got rejected for three different job openings without even an interview. I'm hopeful that my connections at another potential spot will help me get in, but it's still a bummer. I'm applying for positions in schools (preschool through high school), so I have until fall to find something, but my lease is up in July and i would love to know before then whether or not I need to move!

I fell back in early January and fractured my spine; was stuck at home for ~2 months. I was finally able to go back to work (with a huge list of limitations), and coronavirus hit two weeks later, shutting down my place of employment. I've been waitlisted for a program and haven't heard anything back yet (at least I haven't been rejected, I guess). Being stuck at my house for the vast majority of this year has already got me stir-crazy, and now the towns around me are shutting down public parks, hiking trails, and the like because they were getting too crowded. I hauled out my sewing machine today to start making masks for a local shelter, and the damn thing broke. I'm just having a bit of a meltdown right now, and I don't want to wake up my partner because he works tonight. So hello. Here I am. I just needed to vent. 

I tried to keep a positive outlook on this year with everything going on but at this point, I give up. I have never suffered from depression or suicidal thoughts but now I just want to lay in my bed forever, cry and starve myself. Denied from all PhD schools, My thesis is STILL not done (Supposed to graduate this MAY), 1 of my parents are out of work, I just tried to apply for apartments since PhD is a bust annnddd I "failed" the background check like wtf I'm not a criminal my credit score just hit "Good" 9 days ago, now that's my hopes, dreams and $300 gone down the drain.

On 4/9/2020 at 12:11 AM, fauna876 said:

With just a few more days before signing day - I'm getting worried. I got an acceptance but was told I would be hearing about a financial offer at a later date. I asked end of March if they knew when that would be - they said earliest April 1, and that the circumstances surrounding COVID were delaying these offer decisions. But now, with what's been brought up in this thread - I'm wondering if there's a chance that there won't be any funding or if the admission offer will be rescinded. I find myself even more on the edge of my seat than I was waiting for responses in the first place. 

Same here -- got accepted to a program, and still haven't heard a decision on funding. It's adding another level of crippling uncertainty to the already ridiculous amounts of uncertainty in my (and our) lives.

3 minutes ago, feralgrad said:

Same here -- got accepted to a program, and still haven't heard a decision on funding. It's adding another level of crippling uncertainty to the already ridiculous amounts of uncertainty in my (and our) lives.

Don't be afraid to continue reaching out to the schools. Just calmly explain that their funding decision is critical to your admissions acceptance and hope that they can get you some answers. 

2 hours ago, vpaglioni3 said:

Don't be afraid to continue reaching out to the schools. Just calmly explain that their funding decision is critical to your admissions acceptance and hope that they can get you some answers. 

I would also recommend that such inquiries communicate empathy (not sympathy) for the impact of COVID-19 upon decision makers and administrators. 

5 hours ago, feralgrad said:

And only 2 more days left. A current student said they all had a meeting and indicated new students would still be funded, but I haven't heard anything still. 

5 hours ago, vpaglioni3 said:

3 hours ago, Sigaba said:

I would also recommend that such inquiries communicate empathy (not sympathy) for the impact of COVID-19 upon decision makers and administrators. 

Is it weird I feel bad emailing them? Like I'm bothering them? 

31 minutes ago, fauna876 said:

Is it weird I feel bad emailing them? Like I'm bothering them? 

If you're emailing them at an acceptable rate (no more than once a day but probably closer to once every other week for the next month or two), you're doing fine.

I finalized my acceptance of an offer after weeks of being unable to choose between two schools, but I keep panicking that I made the wrong choice. I know there's no real thing as a 'wrong choice', but I keep on-off feeling anxious. Just wanted to let that out :P.

On 4/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, feralgrad said:

Curious if you heard. I pinged them yesterday and was told there was no available funding. I do wish they had emailed me this sooner. I think I'm going to go for it, and just apply to graduate assistantships and try to make it work. I can't tell if it's COVID related but I suspect it might be. The alternative - staying at a job and risk the economic downfall, possibly furlough, maybe even layoffs? They said I could reapply next year to be considered for funding, but I'm expecting an influx of applications next year like what happened in the recession. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, fauna876 said:

Curious if you heard. I pinged them yesterday and was told there was no available funding. I do wish they had emailed me this sooner. I think I'm going to go for it, and just apply to graduate assistantships and try to make it work. I can't tell if it's COVID related but I suspect it might be. The alternative - staying at a job and risk the economic downfall, possibly furlough, maybe even layoffs? They said I could reapply next year to be considered for funding, but I'm expecting an influx of applications next year like what happened in the recession. 

Yes and no. The program emailed accepted applicants a few weeks ago saying that funding decisions would be delayed. Earlier this week I emailed the program's director to ask how TAships would work if the fall semester were online, and I got a quick response explaining how TA duties could be handled remotely. Since he didn't tell me I was out of the running, I'm assuming I still have a chance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 4/2/2020 at 5:45 PM, Richelieu20 said:

WELL YOU WANT IT...

Then what happened?

OMG I would be utterly fuming! I think you should email that school and all other schools that you rejected your offer to and hope that one of them will let you resubmit.  It is unprecedented times, but canceling a program this late in the game is a bad move and it deserves legal ramifications in my opinion.