New York/New Jersey Area

I did my freshman undergrad at St. John's but finished off at Queens college. Until I went to a Hunter College open house, I had no idea how competitive the CUNYs were and it was too late to pick up my grades. I had a juvenile mindset thinking a B- was okay for every grade but I realized it only hurt me at the end. Eventually I did pick up my grades, I went from a 2.75 to a 3.2...not as competitive but I'm happy to be over the 3.0 mark..Sometimes I roll my eyes and sigh at myself wishing I can smack some sense into my younger self if I had the chance...loll 

is the 3.2 your overall GPA? 

My overall GPA for my BA is 3.02. However, for my SLP courses I have a 3.53. 

Did you take the GRE?  I took it twice and did poorly. However, I saw on the results page someone with the exact same GRE scores I got and was granted an interview to Brooklyn College. That made me feel great! The grad deputy assured me that all portions of the applications are taken into consideration. I asked her what could I do to make up for poor GRE score. She told me to submit my application and go from there. 

Edited by Arcanelady27

I did my freshman undergrad at St. John's but finished off at Queens college. Until I went to a Hunter College open house, I had no idea how competitive the CUNYs were and it was too late to pick up my grades. I had a juvenile mindset thinking a B- was okay for every grade but I realized it only hurt me at the end. Eventually I did pick up my grades, I went from a 2.75 to a 3.2...not as competitive but I'm happy to be over the 3.0 mark..Sometimes I roll my eyes and sigh at myself wishing I can smack some sense into my younger self if I had the chance...loll 

Me too...I have to admit I partied a little too much in undergrad. I could have done better. LOL 

Hey check your messages btw, but to answer your question, that's my overall GPA and in SLP courses I have a 3.366 but my last 60 are 3.5. LOLL I know isn't it exciting when you see someone with your stats getting accepted, it's a glimmer of hope..loll!! I hope they do consider everything, they are the only ones that are so mysterious on their expectations on the website. I think because you have a master's that it speaks volumes because you can handle grad courses. If I don't get in, I think I might go into teaching but I WONT STOP for SPEECH loll..I want to see my professor's face at an ASHA convention in the future and skip around her doubt..loll

Hey check your messages btw, but to answer your question, that's my overall GPA and in SLP courses I have a 3.366 but my last 60 are 3.5. LOLL I know isn't it exciting when you see someone with your stats getting accepted, it's a glimmer of hope..loll!! I hope they do consider everything, they are the only ones that are so mysterious on their expectations on the website. I think because you have a master's that it speaks volumes because you can handle grad courses. If I don't get in, I think I might go into teaching but I WONT STOP for SPEECH loll..I want to see my professor's face at an ASHA convention in the future and skip around her doubt..loll

That is how I feel when it comes to Lehman. That is why I want to get in so bad. I just want the satisfaction of showing that adviser that I am grad school material. 

If I do not get in this time around, I will definitely keep trying also LOL! I feel like this is my calling. 

I have been to an ASHA convention. It is quite an experience. A few years ago it was in Philadelphia. Lehman College had a bus full of students that went. I learned so much...

LOL 

All of the CUNYs have excellent programs. So the applications are looked at as they are received?

That is kind of a bummer for me in regards to Lehman College. My application was complete although they sent me an email saying it was not. It was only forwarded to the SLP department last Wednesday.  I was waiting and my application had not even left the grad admissions office!  

This seems fairly normal. I was e-mailed by Lehman earlier this week stating a transcript hadn't been received (although I had sent it in early Jan...). At this point, I've accepted the CUNYs are a crapshoot.

Anyone have tips about what to expect on an interview with Queens College? Thanks!

norma

I'm wondering the same! They told me on the phone it would be a small group interview lasting around 30 minutes. I'm wondering what kinds of questions they'll ask and how they'll be able to make admissions decisions based only on a group interview!

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, but have been watching it for quite a while. I have to say that this is one of the most supportive places for a time when it is easy to feel alone and helpless during the waiting game. I have a concern. I have yet to hear from NYU. I put in my app before the January 6th deadline (before they extended it to 2/1). Is anyone else in the same boat?

has anyone hear from Nazareth college

Hey, I have not heard yet, but I do know people have heard. I believe they are on spring break this week but start up again on Monday. Here's hoping for good news...good luck to you!

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, but have been watching it for quite a while. I have to say that this is one of the most supportive places for a time when it is easy to feel alone and helpless during the waiting game. I have a concern. I have yet to hear from NYU. I put in my app before the January 6th deadline (before they extended it to 2/1). Is anyone else in the same boat?

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you :/ Although I put in my app after they extended the deadline to Feb 1 - not sure if that makes a difference right now. They have wait listed some people and that's making me lose hope for NYU :(

I got an acceptance from NYU on March 3rd (my only one, so far)!

Accepted:

• NYU

Still waiting to hear from:

• William Paterson
  • Stockton
  • San Francisco State

Wait-listed:

• Massachusetts General Hospital's Institute of Health Professions

Rejected:

• Columbia (Teachers College)
  • CUNY Hunter
  • Emerson
  • Boston U.
  • U. of Iowa
  • U. of Pittsburgh
  • U. of Utah

I'm also losing hope..it's my last school! I only applied to four schools. It's my second time around in the application process and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't disheartening. Best of luck, hopefully they put us out of our misery soon!

I got an acceptance from NYU on March 3rd (my only one, so far)!

Accepted:

• NYU

Still waiting to hear from:

• William Paterson
  • Stockton
  • San Francisco State
Wait-listed:

• Massachusetts General Hospital's Institute of Health Professions

Rejected:

• Columbia (Teachers College)
  • CUNY Hunter
  • Emerson
  • Boston U.
  • U. of Iowa
  • U. of Pittsburgh
  • U. of Utah

Hi GiancaD,

Do you mind telling me your stats?

Hi GiancaD,

Do you mind telling me your stats?

Hey Ems390,

I went to undergraduate at Westminster Choir College down in Princeton, NJ, where I got a bachelor of music in classical voice/opera. I graduated 2 years ago, when I was 21. I spent my first year out of school deciding whether I wanted to get a master's in voice or go into something else. I decided on SLP about halfway through the year. Attended a certificate program in voice medicine this past summer at the National Center for Voice & Speech in Salt Lake City, then started my prerequisites online through Utah State University when I came back to NJ at the end of the summer, after my program had concluded. I'm very interested in dealing with voice disorders/care & maintenance of both the professional voice as well as voice therapy for non-professional voice users/everyday people! I know NYU tends to appreciate students with a variety of backgrounds and they also have several professors in the SLP department who deal with voice, which is pretty great considering that you're lucky if you can find even one voice-specialized faculty member at most schools. What's your background? Hope all this helps!

Best,

Giancarlo

New to this forum also - have only heard back from 1 school so far (rejected, see signature)... 

My apps were all submitted no later than early January... 2014.  I'm encouraged by the other posters having less-than-strong GRE scores (like me) but strong in-major GPA and overall GPA, but some clinical exp.

Fingers crossed - it's comforting to see that lots of other people haven't heard yet either.

Very interested in WPU - I wish I knew how their notification of admissions decisions in "rounds" actually worked (what is a "round" in their context anyways)?  :unsure:

Can anyone tell me some more about Seton Hall and how competitive admissions to that program is?  I read somewhere else here on TGC that there were hundreds of Applications for only 40 positions?  I cross-reference that with Princeton Review (or a site like it) and it did say the acceptance rate was only 25%... but not as many apps...

New to this forum also - have only heard back from 1 school so far (rejected, see signature)... 

My apps were all submitted no later than early January... 2014.  I'm encouraged by the other posters having less-than-strong GRE scores (like me) but strong in-major GPA and overall GPA, but some clinical exp.

Fingers crossed - it's comforting to see that lots of other people haven't heard yet either.

Very interested in WPU - I wish I knew how their notification of admissions decisions in "rounds" actually worked (what is a "round" in their context anyways)?  :unsure:

Can anyone tell me some more about Seton Hall and how competitive admissions to that program is?  I read somewhere else here on TGC that there were hundreds of Applications for only 40 positions?  I cross-reference that with Princeton Review (or a site like it) and it did say the acceptance rate was only 25%... but not as many apps...

Hey! 

I did my undergrad and prerequisite work at Seton Hall. I've only heard great things about their program from the students currently in it. The professors are all really nice and willing to work with the students to make sure they do well. I was told that they put a lot of weight on experience, the SOP and LORs. The stats such as GPA and GRE are important too but writing a statement and having professors vouch for you to show how great of a student or how passionate you are about the field means a lot to them. I have a friend who got in last year with a 3.2 gpa and she didn't have the most stand out GRE scores but I guess what she lacked in stats, she made up in her SOP and experience. 

The only downfall to SHU is that they take a long time making decisions. My friend was finally accepted in June. I can only imagine how far up a wall that can drive someone! 

@Ssen - June?  Wow, was your friend wait-listed first?  Talk about driving someone up a wall indeed - what's the Grad school equivalent of "May 1" for undergrads each year ?  Or is there not one? 

Regarding local NY/NJ schools - I don't see too many people mentioning Monmouth... Is that cause their program is new and not accredited yet?  

Edited by Greyhound111

@Ssen - June? Wow, was your friend wait-listed first? Talk about driving someone up a wall indeed - what's the Grad school equivalent of "May 1" for undergrads each year ? Or is there not one?

Regarding local NY/NJ schools - I don't see too many people mentioning Monmouth... Is that cause their program is new and not accredited yet?

Hey...Monmouth received their accreditation a few months ago and the SLP program will be up and running this summer. They sent out a letter in December/January to let applicants know. I believe they said they will be sending out admission decisions between March 15th and the 30th. Good luck with everything!!!

Hey Ems390,

I went to undergraduate at Westminster Choir College down in Princeton, NJ, where I got a bachelor of music in classical voice/opera. I graduated 2 years ago, when I was 21. I spent my first year out of school deciding whether I wanted to get a master's in voice or go into something else. I decided on SLP about halfway through the year. Attended a certificate program in voice medicine this past summer at the National Center for Voice & Speech in Salt Lake City, then started my prerequisites online through Utah State University when I came back to NJ at the end of the summer, after my program had concluded. I'm very interested in dealing with voice disorders/care & maintenance of both the professional voice as well as voice therapy for non-professional voice users/everyday people! I know NYU tends to appreciate students with a variety of backgrounds and they also have several professors in the SLP department who deal with voice, which is pretty great considering that you're lucky if you can find even one voice-specialized faculty member at most schools. What's your background? Hope all this helps!

Best,

Giancarlo

I also did SVI - but two summers ago!! 

Anyone know anything about Hofstra? I think I'm leaning towards that program

@Ssen - June?  Wow, was your friend wait-listed first?  Talk about driving someone up a wall indeed - what's the Grad school equivalent of "May 1" for undergrads each year ?  Or is there not one? 

I just asked her today, she was wait listed. She said that a lot of her classmates in the program now were wait listed and that one of the girls got in right before orientation! Crazy! 

I also did SVI - but two summers ago!! 

Anyone know anything about Hofstra? I think I'm leaning towards that program

That's awesome! Block 1 was so tough! I wish I'd had the acoustics & anatomy of the ear course that I'm currently taking at some point before attending SVI lol!