New York/New Jersey Area

To everyone wondering about Adelphi - yes, a bunch of decisions have gone out, but don't freak out too much! I have a friend who got in during one of their last rounds of acceptances in April last year, and she couldn't be happier there! Don't give up hope - as long as you haven't been rejected, you really are still in the running!

To everyone wondering about Adelphi - yes, a bunch of decisions have gone out, but don't freak out too much! I have a friend who got in during one of their last rounds of acceptances in April last year, and she couldn't be happier there! Don't give up hope - as long as you haven't been rejected, you really are still in the running!

This made me feel a little better! Thank you!! :)

goingtobeslp13...You mentioned that your friend is a student at Adelphi and I am wondering if you could share some info about the program..........

I have applied to the Garden City campus, but my family does not live in the area so I would need to find housing.

Is it realistic to live in NYC?

Where do slp grad students live if they are not living with their families? Do groups of students tend to find housing together? Does Adelphi have the feel of a commuter school, or do students work/get meals and study together?

Are the students a close group and are they supportive of eachother?

How is the faculty? Is the workload doable? 

I have heard that some programs require intense analytical reading of extensive amounts of journal articles. Is this the case at Adelphi? 

Anything and everything that you can share about Adelphi is very much appreciated! Thank you and the best of luck to you!!!

Thanks for this info! I will be crossing my fingers for everyone!!!

goingtobeslp13...You mentioned that your friend is a student at Adelphi and I am wondering if you could share some info about the program..........

I have applied to the Garden City campus, but my family does not live in the area so I would need to find housing.

Is it realistic to live in NYC?

Hi! I don't know anything about Adelphi, but I am currently living in NYC. I think if you were to live in NYC, Queens would be your best bet as it is closest to Garden City and you are more likely to find cheaper rent. Manhattan rent can be very expensive and the commute would be quite a distance. I think the only reason you may want to live in a borough other than Queens is if you have something else already there (significant other, job, etc).

Hi! I don't know anything about Adelphi, but I am currently living in NYC. I think if you were to live in NYC, Queens would be your best bet as it is closest to Garden City and you are more likely to find cheaper rent. Manhattan rent can be very expensive and the commute would be quite a distance. I think the only reason you may want to live in a borough other than Queens is if you have something else already there (significant other, job, etc).

While it is closer to live in Queens, if you are going to take public transportation, the LIRR is your best bet and that leaves from Penn, so Queens won't actually be more helpful to you.

Adelphi is definitely a commuter school but there is, for example, a student lounge for SLP students where some people do work in between classes or just hang out in between classes. My friend really loves her professors (she went there for undergrad too so she REALLY knows them) and I don't think I've ever heard her say a bad thing about the program. As for the workload, no grad school is going to be easy and if you're going to be the best prepared clinician, you're going to have to put in the work. That said, the workload seems manageable from watching my friend. However, when I went on a tour of the clinic, I saw some grad students who told me to "expect to buckle down once you start grad school!" The reading seems to be split between journal articles and textbooks, so you get a pretty well rounded approach. Overall, I think it's a great program. It was definitely among my top choices! While I haven't officially decided that I'm going there (still waiting to hear from my other top choices before I make a decision), I would definitely recommend it!

Thanks so much for the response! Is there a way for accepted students to connect in order to find housing together (to share the rent)?

I understand that the first year is in the clinic and classrooms on campus, so maybe no need for me to have a car the first year - as long as I can figure out how to get there using public transportation.

Sounds as though I should look to see where I can live and use the LIRR which goes directly to Adelphi campus. Any areas where the commute is doable and is a safe ride after dark

Not sure if it is better or not to live with another student in the slp grad program....any thoughts?

Thanks so much for the response! Is there a way for accepted students to connect in order to find housing together (to share the rent)?

I understand that the first year is in the clinic and classrooms on campus, so maybe no need for me to have a car the first year - as long as I can figure out how to get there using public transportation.

Sounds as though I should look to see where I can live and use the LIRR which goes directly to Adelphi campus. Any areas where the commute is doable and is a safe ride after dark

Not sure if it is better or not to live with another student in the slp grad program....any thoughts?

Garden City is a pretty upscale and safe area, so I'd say you're pretty safe. Most classes are in the late afternoon/early evening, so you will probably be going home when it's dark, but I think you'd be fine no matter what. I'm not sure about connecting with classmates, I assume there will be a facebook group made at some point!

Has anyone else not heard back from NYU?  It feels like I'm the only person who hasn't heard back yet. I'm very tempted to contact the department, but I don't want to appear bothersome or impatient... :/

Has anyone else not heard back from NYU?  It feels like I'm the only person who hasn't heard back yet. I'm very tempted to contact the department, but I don't want to appear bothersome or impatient... :/

I haven't heard from NYU yet either, and I'm hesitant to contact the department for the same reason. I wonder if they're waiting for others to accept and decline their offers before releasing the remainder of the decisions.

Accepted to East Stroudsburg! I know that's not a NY/NJ school but it's right over the line haha. It's actually closer to my house in NJ than any of the NJ schools are!

Does anyone know if LIU Post required an interview? I know people were posting about getting interviews last month and now people are posting acceptances

I haven't heard from NYU yet either, and I'm hesitant to contact the department for the same reason. I wonder if they're waiting for others to accept and decline their offers before releasing the remainder of the decisions.

Phew.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  It's certainly possible that they're waiting to release the remaining decisions.  If only we could figure out how the whole admissions process works...  

Anyway, I really hope that we'll hear some good news soon!  Good luck argslp! :)

Phew.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  It's certainly possible that they're waiting to release the remaining decisions.  If only we could figure out how the whole admissions process works...  

Anyway, I really hope that we'll hear some good news soon!  Good luck argslp! :)

Thank you and good luck to you too!

Some hope to those waiting on Brooklyn college, I emailed the graduate fellows asking whether if having an interview was mandatory in order to be admitted into Brooklyn college. This is my first year applying so I don't know too much about what goes on during the process. This is what he/she said:

We began interviewing applicants a few years ago and since then there have not been any applicants admitted without first having an interview. We offer interviews to as many applicants as we can. We offer interviews as we review applications but this does not mean once your application is reviewed and you do not have an interview that you will not receive one later on. I hope this helps.

Best,

GF

just a little hope in case anyone is stressing about Brooklyn College. I didn't ask about my application status because I didn't want to come off as a hamper.

Some hope to those waiting on Brooklyn college, I emailed the graduate fellows asking whether if having an interview was mandatory in order to be admitted into Brooklyn college. This is my first year applying so I don't know too much about what goes on during the process. This is what he/she said:

We began interviewing applicants a few years ago and since then there have not been any applicants admitted without first having an interview. We offer interviews to as many applicants as we can. We offer interviews as we review applications but this does not mean once your application is reviewed and you do not have an interview that you will not receive one later on. I hope this helps.

Best,

GF

just a little hope in case anyone is stressing about Brooklyn College. I didn't ask about my application status because I didn't want to come off as a hamper.

Thanks so much LDadvocate! 

This gives me much relief! I am still waiting for a response from Brooklyn College. Hopefully, an interview sometime in the near future. 

I hope you get one as well!  :D

Thanks Arcanelady27! I hope you get one too!! I figured you'd be the first to answer back, we're all about the CUNYs loll

LOL 

All of the CUNYs have excellent programs. So the applications are looked at as they are received?

That is kind of a bummer for me in regards to Lehman College. My application was complete although they sent me an email saying it was not. It was only forwarded to the SLP department last Wednesday.  I was waiting and my application had not even left the grad admissions office!  

I agree with you, the CUNYs have a very good reputation and they recognize that. I spoke to my tax person today and she made sense, that CUNYs might be more willing to accept out of state applicants because they must pay more tuition, (while I hope that's not the case or holds any truth) she did also make a point that the more competitive it is, the bigger the pay is (as in salary wise) because not everyone will continue on with Speech if they choose not to. And in regards to Lehman College, I hear you, St. John's told me that they haven't received a transcript that I have sent out 2 months ago AFTER the deadline passed. I was livid but if it was not meant to be, it wasn't meant to be. It's good that you approached Lehman college about that issue, I loved the campus when I went to visit and I took a liking to their graduate director. As a CUNY graduate, you only hope to kind of continue onto that path because it's comforting..like puddin'..loll

I agree with you, the CUNYs have a very good reputation and they recognize that. I spoke to my tax person today and she made sense, that CUNYs might be more willing to accept out of state applicants because they must pay more tuition, (while I hope that's not the case or holds any truth) she did also make a point that the more competitive it is, the bigger the pay is (as in salary wise) because not everyone will continue on with Speech if they choose not to. And in regards to Lehman College, I hear you, St. John's told me that they haven't received a transcript that I have sent out 2 months ago AFTER the deadline passed. I was livid but if it was not meant to be, it wasn't meant to be. It's good that you approached Lehman college about that issue, I loved the campus when I went to visit and I took a liking to their graduate director. As a CUNY graduate, you only hope to kind of continue onto that path because it's comforting..like puddin'..loll

I took my prerequisite courses at Lehman. I actually interviewed with them for the Spring 2014 semester, but was denied after interview,  Long story short, the woman interviewing me was my adviser. She had told me several times I would not make it to grad school with my grades. I had attended Lehman over 10 years ago, but transfered to Hofstra U and got my BA there in another field of study. When I told her this and told her I already have a Masters her exact words to me was "I do not know what you are trying to sell me here". I reported her and it went on deaf ears. I spoke to the chairperson and told them if I am granted another interview I wish not to have her as an interviewer! My mother thinks I should have been guaranteed another interview because of the bad history I had with this woman and thought it was unfair that they gave me an interview with her...

That's horrible, I can't stand people like that. Just the fact that she said that to you makes my blood boil because I have faced similar people in my life and I zip my mouth shut for respect. But sometimes it gets out of hand with "those" kind of people when they think that just because they're in a field that everyone wants to get into, they should be treated like celebrities. Oh NO NO NO!! I had a similar advisor and professor that said similar things to me, it got to a point where I avoided my advisor all together because I freaked out about her convincing the graduate director to kick me out. I kept my distance and luckily I graduated. But back to you, I think your mother is right, but I would explain it to the program as to be interviewed with someone fresh and not bias. Maybe you can use an analogy as if your being called to Jury Duty, because really, what's the point of taking your opinion when you are biased against the defendant, how much weight does that decision hold. Not much because they have already painted a picture of you. What's done is done, but now if you have a second chance, maybe you can address the issue lightly (even though it's not) and explain that you have already interviewed with her (but avoid the fact that you guys had a bad history bc faculties always stay together and justify themselves). Don't worry as my mother always says, they will get theirs in return.

Edited by LDadvocate

I know how you feel in avoiding the adviser. I tried to do that at all costs. I even requested a new adviser, but was told she was the only one for those taking only the prerequisites.

That is very good analogy! Thanks, I will use that if I am granted a second chance.  

My mother and father were fumed!  Both said they are willing to take this to a higher person, if I do not get a second interview.  I really was not given a fair shot.  :(

I've actually taken a liking to Brooklyn College. The graduate deputy was so helpful in my application completion process. I emailed her so many times. I finally met her in person during an open house. The grad fellows were so happy and really enjoy the program. I would over the moon if I was granted admission to Brooklyn College. 

Where did you do your undergrad, LDadvocate? 

I did my freshman undergrad at St. John's but finished off at Queens college. Until I went to a Hunter College open house, I had no idea how competitive the CUNYs were and it was too late to pick up my grades. I had a juvenile mindset thinking a B- was okay for every grade but I realized it only hurt me at the end. Eventually I did pick up my grades, I went from a 2.75 to a 3.2...not as competitive but I'm happy to be over the 3.0 mark..Sometimes I roll my eyes and sigh at myself wishing I can smack some sense into my younger self if I had the chance...loll