Its March and I am still waiting to hear back :/ anyone else?

Dechunkis3

Hi! 
Has anyone heard from Boston College or Ohio State higher ed phD programs???

What about University of Maryland phD in Minority and Urban Ed program???

Please let me know. Should I be worried?

Accepted 0/4
Rejected 1/4
Interviews 0\4

I still haven't heard back from any of my schools. I know, it really stinks to be met with silence. 

I was told the best thing to do is be as patient as possible and, if you still haven't heard back from a few schools by mid-March, give your departments a call. From what I've gathered, some schools actually do take that long (or longer) to make decisions, while others just don't get their notifications out in as timely a manner as others. 

Take a deep breath and try to relax. :) Be sure to check the results page, though. Although it doesn't always give you a good indication of when you'll hear from your schools, sometimes people post really important information next to their result (such as, check your Spam mailbox, or if they never received an email but had to check their website to find out). 

Also, I had to add this, but my professors have told me that hearing no news is better than bad news! lol It's hard to remain positive, but keep your chin up!

Edited by engphiledu

Haven't heard anything yet either. I only know that one of my schools has made a decision. It's hard, I know.... But they have to give us answer soon. :)

I still haven't heard back from any of my schools. I know, it really stinks to be met with silence. 

I was told the best thing to do is be as patient as possible and, if you still haven't heard back from a few schools by mid-March, give your departments a call. From what I've gathered, some schools actually do take that long (or longer) to make decisions, while others just don't get their notifications out in as timely a manner as others. 

Take a deep breath and try to relax. :) Be sure to check the results page, though. Although it doesn't always give you a good indication of when you'll hear from your schools, sometimes people post really important information next to their result (such as, check your Spam mailbox, or if they never received an email but had to check their website to find out). 

Also, I had to add this, but my professors have told me that hearing no news is better than bad news! lol It's hard to remain positive, but keep your chin up!

@engphiledu OMG thank you! Your positive words really made my day!

Thanks for the reply! @rj16

Edited by Dechunkis3

Perhaps a bit different since I am a Canadian student and applied only to Canadian schools, but I have only officially heard from one school, and that was last Monday. I have been accepted to another via the website, but have no official offer yet. I wasn't really expecting to hear back from anyone until at least mid March, so I am actually surprised.

I feel like you should keep in mind that yes it is March... but it is literally the first day of March

You are most welcome, Dechunkis3! I've found a lot of great people on here willing to share their positive energy and their advice, so I think you've come to the right place! I'm not going into your program, and I haven't heard anything about those schools, but if I happen across some information, I will definitely keep you in mind! 

The best of luck to you! I don't know what you do to de-stress, but whether it's working out, reading a book, listening to music, or whatever, set aside your computer, turn off your phone, and do whatever it is that helps you for at least thirty minutes each day. It's amazing how much just that little amount of time will help, especially if you catch yourself refreshing your email inbox constantly. (I can say this with confidence because I am absolutely guilty as charged as an inbox and gradcafe results page-refresher). 

:D

Hey there! I have applied to Purdue, Knoxville,Auburn and Alabama as well. My area is early modern literature and late medieval. I don't think I have a shot in Alabama(Strode program accepts only 5 students). I am not holding out hope for Purdue either. I am hopeful about Auburn.

I spoke with a professor from UTK's English department. The decision meeting was scheduled for 28th February afternoon. I was told that we will be notified by Monday or Tuesday. Let me know if you make it. All the best!

Thank you so much for the update, Eternal Optimist! I cannot express how happy this makes me to finally hear some news!

I was honestly starting to worry that somehow I had dreamed up the whole application process and never actually applied anywhere. 0.0 lol

The very best of luck to you! I sincerely hope you hear great news!!! Keep me updated, and maybe we'll be lucky enough to both be potential students at any of those universities in Fall 2014. :D 

Also, as a side note, you are awesome for going into medieval! I love the early modern period, but I always thought medievalists were pretty boss. You have to be one smart cookie to be a medievalist! 

i have applied for six university, i have recieved an email from university of utah that tells me that i  am accepted but without Fund they send everything including I-20 and etc. i have rejected from two but they still didnt send me an official email, i have found it in website! i dont know what would happen for other university, right now i am really hesitate to email the grad school of those universities or not?. 

however when reading all this posts in this website the only answer to my question is WAIT at least until last of March.  :)

Best luck

Perhaps a bit different since I am a Canadian student and applied only to Canadian schools, but I have only officially heard from one school, and that was last Monday. I have been accepted to another via the website, but have no official offer yet. I wasn't really expecting to hear back from anyone until at least mid March, so I am actually surprised.

I feel like you should keep in mind that yes it is March... but it is literally the first day of March

You're right it is the first week of March. I'm not sure when your deadlines were but mine were Decemeber 1st. All my apps were in by the end of November. All of programs said they would notify students in February...that's where my concern lies. I'm guessing the multiple snow storms that the east coast faced is also a actor for the delay.

You're right it is the first week of March. I'm not sure when your deadlines were but mine were Decemeber 1st. All my apps were in by the end of November. All of programs said they would notify students in February...that's where my concern lies. I'm guessing the multiple snow storms that the east coast faced is also a actor for the delay.

The weather may have set them back a little, for sure. If offices are closed, then no one is there to make application decisions after all, right? :)

It also depends on the size of the program and how many applications they received. From what I have heard, they usually send out PhD decisions first as they need to decide on how to distribute funding (and PhD students usually get priority for funding). However, I have also seen where people have posted that they received an acceptance letter after having been on a waitlist. It came as a surprise because they had not known they were even on a waitlist. lol 

The application deadline for Knoxville and Ohio were both January 15, but if what Ohio's website and what Eternal Optimist heard is true, they will be the first schools I will be hearing from. Meanwhile, I applied to some of my other schools, as you said, in November and December, and so far I haven't heard of anyone hearing from them. You never know!

hamid4965, keep a positive attitude! The game is not over until it's over. I hope you hear good news soon!

Waiting to hear from my top-choice school.  They actually say on the department's web site that acceptances won't go out until March 15, and judging from last year, they are true to their word.

My deadlines were mostly January ones, and most didn't really give a definite timetable to hear back. I would say wait it out for this week, then contact the departments. Like you said, it could just be unforeseen delays!

Thank you so much for the update, Eternal Optimist! I cannot express how happy this makes me to finally hear some news!

I was honestly starting to worry that somehow I had dreamed up the whole application process and never actually applied anywhere. 0.0 lol

The very best of luck to you! I sincerely hope you hear great news!!! Keep me updated, and maybe we'll be lucky enough to both be potential students at any of those universities in Fall 2014. :D 

Also, as a side note, you are awesome for going into medieval! I love the early modern period, but I always thought medievalists were pretty boss. You have to be one smart cookie to be a medievalist!

Haha! I am not that smart just too greedy to learn a lot :P Let's see how that works out!

Also, I forgot to mention that Auburn and Alabama expect to notify by mid march. Two more weeks left for us to start freaking out about that. So, you definitely did not dream the whole thing. I just hope we get a funded offer from at least 1 of these places. All these unfunded offers and wait lists is breaking my heart.

Which aspect of Victorian Literature and Romanticism do you specialize in? I had wonderful professors for both in my undergrad institution. I enjoyed Victorian poetry the best. Somehow the sonnets or the Romantics or modernists didn't speak to me as much as Tennyson and Rosetti did. Ok, I will stop boring you now and go back to stalk other pages.

I haven't heard from a single school yet. But like someone else said, I'm Canadian so for some reason the deadlines seemed to be way later then the U.S. schools. I got an email from one of my schools saying that it wouldn't be until mid-March. I'm dreading hearing back because it will either be the best or worst days of my life. :/ 

Applied to 9 still waiting to hear back from 8. Finally got an interview with one. This whole process is nerve wrecking! I have checked the websites but there don't seem to be any new updates other then being reviewed by the department. However when I check the results here it looks like most people have heard back from the universities I applied to! 

FYI-I work for a University here in the MD/DC/VA area...most of them are closed today because of the snow. That may delay things a bit. Sorry :(

.... This whole process is nerve wrecking! I have checked the websites but there don't seem to be any new updates other then being reviewed by the department. However when I check the results here it looks like most people have heard back from the universities I applied to! 

Me, in a nutshell.

Still waiting on a school w/ a December 1st app due date... and was told it'd be another half month. I'm grateful the applications receive such consideration, but also -- !!

Still waiting to hear back from 4 schools. I half-expected to not hear back until March - for the schools I applied, most did not have admission results until March. Does anyone know if UCSD and UC Davis do rolling admissions? If so, it would make sense why a lot of people have heard back before me (assuming PhD deadlines are before MS deadlines)