Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

27 minutes ago, hqqrory said:

I got an email from UCLA saying that I was awarded the Terasaki center fellowship and they offered 30k a year plus 2 year of TAship. I think i am definitely going there- the other choice is Madison but the idea of living in LA sounds way more attractive to me. Anyone who is also going to UCLA should contact me :P

I was contacted by both Harvard and Yale- both programs could not offer me admission this year and put into the MA pool. Does that mean I wil probably get admitted for the master program?

Did you receive an official acceptance from the department yet? I am still waiting to hear back from UCLA so I am curious

6 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Did you receive an official acceptance from the department yet? I am still waiting to hear back from UCLA so I am curious

Yeah the official acceptance letter and some external funding information attached to the email the department sent me

3 hours ago, PhDudette said:

Myself! Have you thought at all about whether to live in grad housing or away from campus? It seems like there's not much life outside of campus. Probably this is more of a PM kind of question, though!

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm thinking on campus (and you're right, not much going on at all off campus, but you'll be extremely busy anyways), although my particular living situation is somewhat unique (I'm an older student and have a house, so I'll likely be staying there on some weekends). Get in touch with me via PM if you'd like. :)

Edited by prculus

On 19 February 2016 at 7:51 AM, nom said:

Have any East Asia History people heard back from UPenn? 

Hi! I'm a Republican China person. I got the acceptance last week and an email from my POI today. From what I know they're taking up to 4 people for China/Japan/Korea.

3 hours ago, hqqrory said:

I got an email from UCLA saying that I was awarded the Terasaki center fellowship and they offered 30k a year plus 2 year of TAship. I think i am definitely going there- the other choice is Madison but the idea of living in LA sounds way more attractive to me. Anyone who is also going to UCLA should contact me :P

I was contacted by both Harvard and Yale- both programs could not offer me admission this year and put into the MA pool. Does that mean I wil probably get admitted for the master program?

I'm in the same boat with Yale. I think the chances are pretty good, and from what I've heard from students in the program it is a good way to build up your application for later. I'm still waiting to hear from Penn but I'm seriously considering taking their offer if it is funded. 

1 hour ago, GeoMasters2016 said:

Anyone else apply recently to CSU Chico, cal state LA, SF state, or SD state too?

I applied for geology/geoscience

Not sure if anyone knows the difficulty for them? 

Or anyone know when we will know :)? 

#SorryNewToThis 

You are in the history thread, bro

4 hours ago, fencergirl said:

So I hate to sound like a broken record but do we think the UCLA admits are done? (At least for the first round?)

I don't think so. When I applied to UCLA last year, nothing ever went out all at once. I think there is still hope, so don't give up yet.

On 2/10/2016 at 10:42 PM, levoyous said:

Insider tip: Boston College acceptances have gone out. However, at least one person has a strong competing offer, and last year people were still being admitted even after the visit day because some in the first round didn't accept. So there could be more to come.

47 minutes ago, Oliveur said:

Anybody heard anything from Boston College?

Haven't heard a peep out of them. There's two acceptances on the board, but they're several weeks old now.

I hope this helps.

5 hours ago, JR said:

I don't think so. When I applied to UCLA last year, nothing ever went out all at once. I think there is still hope, so don't give up yet.

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I'll not assume its a rejection until I get the official rejection. 

2 hours ago, Oliveur said:

Anybody heard anything from Boston College?

Haven't heard a peep out of them. There's two acceptances on the board, but they're several weeks old now.

I heard back a few weeks ago. My impression is that the first round of acceptances are done. Sorry :(

2 hours ago, fencergirl said:

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I'll not assume its a rejection until I get the official rejection. 

I heard back a few weeks ago. My impression is that the first round of acceptances are done. Sorry :(

Yes, I received my acceptance about two weeks ago. 

7 hours ago, hbnj said:

I got an acceptance from Rutgers about a week ago from DGS as well as a letter in the mail. Not sure if they're finished or not though. 

As far as my inquiries have led me to believe - they are finished and there were only 9 people admitted. A very small cohort this year. 

4 minutes ago, tipmar said:

As far as my inquiries have led me to believe - they are finished and there were only 9 people admitted. A very small cohort this year. 

Yes, we are finished. Like I said, our admits went out last week or earlier in one big wave.

I do want to correct you on the number of admits. From what I heard from the DGS, it was more like eighteen or twenty (plus wait list offers) with the expectation around ten to twelve of them will accept. Still a small cohort, though!

11 minutes ago, girlscoutcookies said:

Yes, we are finished. Like I said, our admits went out last week or earlier in one big wave.

I do want to correct you on the number of admits. From what I heard from the DGS, it was more like eighteen or twenty (plus wait list offers) with the expectation around ten to twelve of them will accept. Still a small cohort, though!

Guess my sources are off, then. Perhaps their confirmation of my rejection will also prove to be faulty <_<

8 minutes ago, RamyaS said:

I believe Cornell is going to speak this week?! Saw something on the results board. 

Good luck to all!

Maybe. I'm suspicious of the posting, but even if it is legitimate, we should begin to hear rejections this week.

I have my finger's crossed!