Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

28 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

Most Social Work programs do not have funding. University of Toronto for instance don't really have funding. Neither does Ryerson from my understanding. The only school in ontario with crazy funding is MacMaster and York. 

55 minutes ago, soapaddict said:

I got accepted into a masters at UNBC but the funding is limited. Is it worth pursuing masters if the school has limited funding??

I think the choice really depends on your financial need and/or desire for that specific program/school; the "worth" of pursuing masters for all schools varies for each individial. Also, I agree with MSW-UofT, and I would also like to add that Windsor has great funding as well.

Edited by Squishy

6 hours ago, Phogan said:

Does anyone know how Windsor and Laurier will be communicating their decisions? I believe Laurier sends their decision via mail?

A classmate heard back from Windsor (provisional acceptance) but I don't know which MSW program it was for. They got an e-mail. Still no word on Laurier!

Edited by rsco

32 minutes ago, rsco said:

A classmate heard back from Windsor (provisional acceptance) but I don't know which MSW program it was for. They got an e-mail. Still no word on Laurier!

Laurier is usually the last to send out acceptances based on the past few years. It looks like they didn't send out 2 year admissions until early April last year. I'm not sure about advanced standing though...

8 hours ago, soapaddict said:

I got accepted into a masters at UNBC but the funding is limited. Is it worth pursuing masters if the school has limited funding??

I specifically applied to York because they have great funding so it all depends on your needs. 

Depending on the school, you can also do a TAship - they pay well and are usually around 10/hours per week. I know the funding at Lakehead for the MSW is contingent on a 10-hour-a-week TAship and it covers tuition costs at the very least. 

York's funding is contingent on a GAship, which is 5 hours a week in the lab/assisting a professor.

Generally, both TA/GA come with benefits. Its worth looking into UNBC and seeing if there are TAships and GAships for you to pursue. That will help you more with your decision. 

15 hours ago, pinsandneedles said:

Thank you for posting this! I was considering calling them tomorrow to inquire about it. One of my references completely forgot to send my reference in despite my relentless asking and it was 2.5 weeks late - so I don't feel very good about my chances :( I went to MUN for my first degree and I would love to be finally have a solid reason to move home, so fingers crossed!!!

oh no :( I have been there with the reference situation! I am so sorry, that sucks. Its frustrating how the schools often pin that on the applicant, even if the applicant doe the best they can. At the end of the day, the applicant only has so much control over the references. If they accepted it by now, hopefully it won't hinder your chances. I am rooting for you! 

Anyone else obsessively checking ROSI? I feel like if the admissions committee saw how many times a day I log in to check, they would think twice about considering me ;)

Someone else here said March 11 is the earliest 2yr applicants could hear back. Time is crawling for me. This is so stressful. I dropped out of a PhD program in order to pursue social work and I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic, but if I don't get in this round (which is a huge possibility given the statistics) I will be completely lost and out of a job (I was an RA at in my department and now that I quit, I have to find work elsewhere). Right now I have a short contract, but if I'm not going to UofT in september, I have to find long term work in the meantime and figure out my living situation. 

I guess at the end of the day, I am doing what is best for me in the long run. It just sucks for your life to be in limbo like this. But, the overall message on this thread seems to be to keep trying each year and to not lose sight of our goals. Just needed to vent to people who understand. 

16 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Anyone else obsessively checking ROSI? I feel like if the admissions committee saw how many times a day I log in to check, they would think twice about considering me ;)

Someone else here said March 11 is the earliest 2yr applicants could hear back. Time is crawling for me. This is so stressful. I dropped out of a PhD program in order to pursue social work and I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic, but if I don't get in this round (which is a huge possibility given the statistics) I will be completely lost and out of a job (I was an RA at in my department and now that I quit, I have to find work elsewhere). Right now I have a short contract, but if I'm not going to UofT in september, I have to find long term work in the meantime and figure out my living situation. 

I guess at the end of the day, I am doing what is best for me in the long run. It just sucks for your life to be in limbo like this. But, the overall message on this thread seems to be to keep trying each year and to not lose sight of our goals. Just needed to vent to people who understand. 

I feel your pain! I have so many things that I need to figure out (ie. living situation, employment) but I can't really make any progress in figuring anything out until I know what will be happening with grad school. My anxiety about all of this is driving me to the brink of a panic attack whenever I spend too much time thinking about it. But the problem is that no matter how hard I try to distract myself I always end up with my thoughts leading back to grad school. The idea of potentially having to wait another year and apply again makes me want to hibernate...

March 11th is so close but so painfully far away...I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessively checking my statuses online!

38 minutes ago, scipio said:

Just got an offer for the Qualifying Year program at McGill! 

Congrats! That's super exciting :)

I just checked my account on uapply and no change in status so I may have to wait for the next round to find out my fate. Haha 

46 minutes ago, smoresun said:

Congrats! That's super exciting :)

I just checked my account on uapply and no change in status so I may have to wait for the next round to find out my fate. Haha 

Thanks! Could be tomorrow morning for you-it was late afternoon when I found out, so it might just be a matter of admins getting to it during work hours. Best of luck! 

10 hours ago, rsco said:

Hey, Helen at Laurier told me the decision will be made via E-mail 

10 hours ago, KatRousi said:

oh no :( I have been there with the reference situation! I am so sorry, that sucks. Its frustrating how the schools often pin that on the applicant, even if the applicant doe the best they can. At the end of the day, the applicant only has so much control over the references. If they accepted it by now, hopefully it won't hinder your chances. I am rooting for you! 

Thanks so much for the support! Just 4 more weeks to find out I guess - I hope they don't wait too long to send the rejections so I will know for sure as quickly as possible!

Hey everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted :)
I don't see a ton of posts about University of Calgary's MSW... I'm anxiously awaiting to find out about the 2 year program. Is there anyone else out there waiting for the same one (or has anyone else heard either way?) I'm not sure how much longer my sanity is going to hang in there!

13 minutes ago, kjackson said:

Hey everyone! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted :)
I don't see a ton of posts about University of Calgary's MSW... I'm anxiously awaiting to find out about the 2 year program. Is there anyone else out there waiting for the same one (or has anyone else heard either way?) I'm not sure how much longer my sanity is going to hang in there!

I'm still waiting to hear from Calgary for their 2 year program as well :/

Hey guys!  Hope everyone is hanging in there during this brutal limbo period!   Huge congrats to those of you who have received acceptances thus far.  

Wondering if anyone else has applied to the 2 year MSW at UBC-Okanagan?  I have idea when I should expect to hear back from them! 

Thanks guys and keep hanging in there! 

16 hours ago, scipio said:

Thanks! Could be tomorrow morning for you-it was late afternoon when I found out, so it might just be a matter of admins getting to it during work hours. Best of luck! 

You were right! I just got my email, we are going to be classmates :) 

Hi Everyone,

For those who are applying to the Two Year MSW at UofC a first round of admissions went out the second week of February. I heard that all the decisions have been made this week and we will all be hearing what will happen next couple of weeks. For emilym123 and kjackson what program are you stream did you apply to? And what is your experience going into the MSW? I've heard that UofC is very competitive. Anxious to see what happens!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and congrats to those who are already accepted to a program!