Fall 2016 Clinical Psychology Applicant Thread

JoePianist

5 minutes ago, Wunderkindling said:

In early January, one person posted about email invitations for interviews with both UC Boulder and UT Austin. I've seen nothing else since. Does anyone have any information about these two programs?

I got an interview offer from Boulder about two weeks ago, but it's by POI so they may not be done. Interview day is Feb 5. It probably couldn't hurt to call the department and ask if invites are still being sent.

I applied for clinical neuropsych tracks at UH and URI - haven't heard from either of them, and with a plain clinical (Teacher's College - Columbia), I've been frankly dying inside because I'd really like to get on a neuro track without having to post-doc.  Interview requests went out over the past two weeks for the 2U's and I'm trying to stave off feeling like garbage.

I'm a 158V/150Q/4.0A with a 3.98 B.S. in education and 4.0 M.A. in school psychology. 3 published editorial/reviews, 2 pending manuscripts, 1 pending national poster, 1 national paper presentation (co), 2 state paper presentations (co), 2 years RA/TA, 1 pending personal research project, school psych internship with experience administering and writing psycho-ed evals with neuropsych assessments including the WRAML, NEPSY, and Stanford-Binet, cozy with CHC theory and acquainted with the Luria model, and have worked on textbook materials for cognitive assessment.

Obviously, my background is primarily in education and school psychology.

... Short of feasting on the brains of some practicing neuropsychologists in some sort of highlander-zombie bathsalts bad decision, I don't know what else I can do aside from take the blasted GREs again. And this is the point in my night where it's time to start mixing vodka and seltzer.

Good luck everyone, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Has anyone heard from UNC-Chapel Hill?

For those who applied to North Carolina Chapel Hill, did the online status ever change for you from submitted to anything else???

All I have seen on my screen for status is: Successfully submitted

47 minutes ago, TickFckTock said:

For those who applied to North Carolina Chapel Hill, did the online status ever change for you from submitted to anything else???

If you check the school's webpage, the college is closed until further notice because of the storm.

1 hour ago, TickFckTock said:

According to their website, all Visiting Day invitations have been sent out:  http://clinicalpsych.unc.edu/application-process/

"All interview invitations for the 2016 UNC Cliniacl Psychology Visiting Day have now been extended."

Hello! I hope everyone is remaining at least a bit sane during this stressful application period :) Has anyone heard back from these clinical psych programs? 

Boston University, Harvard, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Emory, Georgia State University, or University of Central Florida? 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lakzo30 said:

Hello! I hope everyone is remaining at least a bit sane during this stressful application period :) Has anyone heard back from these clinical psych programs? 

Boston University, Harvard, Virginia Tech, Purdue, Emory, Georgia State University, or University of Central Florida? 

Thanks!

@Lakzo30 UCF sent their invites out about a week ago. Interview date is this Friday, Jan. 29th. Not sure about all others - I recall that most have sent out invites. Check thegradcafe results page by typing in your school's name, that should narrow down the invites.

4 hours ago, Lakzo30 said:

Thanks!

And I think Georgia State sent out their interviews as well earlier this month. 

Hey all!

I got an interview at SLU (WOOHOO!). That excitement aside, has anyone heard from University of Denver, University of Missouri St. Louis, University of Western Ontario, Georgia State, or University of Saskatchewan, all for clinical? If you have, do you know if more invitations for interviews will be sent out?

7 hours ago, Jessica_PhDwannabe said:

Hey all!

I got an interview at SLU (WOOHOO!). That excitement aside, has anyone heard from University of Denver, University of Missouri St. Louis, University of Western Ontario, Georgia State, or University of Saskatchewan, all for clinical? If you have, do you know if more invitations for interviews will be sent out?

DU said they planned to be done sending invites out by the end of last week/early this week. If you haven't heard by Wednesday, the grad program administrator (Paula) should know if all interview invites have been extended if you call. There are some POIs that have definitely given invited already though...fingers crossed they haven't all gone out!

8 hours ago, icantseethespacebar said:

DU said they planned to be done sending invites out by the end of last week/early this week. If you haven't heard by Wednesday, the grad program administrator (Paula) should know if all interview invites have been extended if you call. There are some POIs that have definitely given invited already though...fingers crossed they haven't all gone out!

Hey, 

Thanks so much for the information! Do you think that all applicants will be notified soon, irrespective of whether they were offered an interview? 

Also, I'm guessing that you applied to DU as well...?

7 hours ago, Jessica_PhDwannabe said:

Hey, 

Thanks so much for the information! Do you think that all applicants will be notified soon, irrespective of whether they were offered an interview? 

Also, I'm guessing that you applied to DU as well...?

I called to check on my app at DU. Julie was really helpful and did not seem bothered by the questions at all. It might be worth asking. :)

It looks like in past years, some people received a rejection early in the process, others didn't get one until the cohort was settled. I know I was told that sometimes, people can be invited to interviews immediately prior to them if spots open up. 

5 hours ago, ayerhead said:

I called to check on my app at DU. Julie was really helpful and did not seem bothered by the questions at all. It might be worth asking. :)

It looks like in past years, some people received a rejection early in the process, others didn't get one until the cohort was settled. I know I was told that sometimes, people can be invited to interviews immediately prior to them if spots open up. 

The PsyD and PhD programs are in different departments. GSPP started giving out PsyD interviews last week, Department of Psych is supposed to finish up offering interviews in the next day or two (but most profs have given out the interviews already...)

4 hours ago, vandsa02 said:

You know what sucks? When your roommate has been accepted to three law schools already and you've only heard from 2 of the 14 programs you've applied to. This is such an unfair process. 

Don't worry. Your roommate will most likely end up with twice as much debt as you and a smaller likelihood of finding a job after law school (as told by every professor I have had who is a lawyer when asked by students about going to law school). It's a competitive process for a reason! Still not fun to deal with though. Best of luck to you!

4 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

Don't worry. Your roommate will most likely end up with twice as much debt as you and a smaller likelihood of finding a job after law school (as told by every professor I have had who is a lawyer when asked by students about going to law school). It's a competitive process for a reason! Still not fun to deal with though. Best of luck to you!

1000 times this.  Even the ABA has said that people need to quit going to law school as far back as 2009.  The market is saturated and the job prospects are crap.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/the-aba-started-warning-people-about-going-to-law-school-years-ago/

8 hours ago, Becks_Psych said:

True statement. Still sucky, though.

3 hours ago, Piagetsky said:

1000 times this.  Even the ABA has said that people need to quit going to law school as far back as 2009.  The market is saturated and the job prospects are crap.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/the-aba-started-warning-people-about-going-to-law-school-years-ago/

Good to know. Also the fact that nothing about being a lawyer sounds fun to me.

On 1/21/2016 at 3:08 PM, pny said:

Has anyone heard from Florida State clinical yet? 

I believe all invites have been extended, I received an email back in December with a link to RSVP.  They wanted all applicants to RSVP by the 23rd so I'm assuming they're all out, but you could always call the admissions office to double check.

3 hours ago, Golfer2045 said:

hi can anyone claim the syracuse post on grad cafe? Who is your POI? thank you!

I called yesterday and was told only one faculty member has sent out a couple invites. The rest of the faculty is still reviewing applicants.

3 hours ago, vandsa02 said:

I have so many feelings about schools not sending out rejection emails. Mainly because as long as I don't get a rejection, I can live in ignorance that I was not, in fact, rejected.

Ditto. I understand if they're still making a decision of course, but if they've made decisions and are not going to extend an invitation an email would be nice. Cross it off our lists.