How many times have you checked your spam box today?

hopefulPhD2017

Only spam email I've gotten in the last few days have been those random university emails. I can now add Mississippi State University (Anthropology PhD), Binghamton University (PhD in a list of social sciences), and Central European University (no specifics on program) to my list of random schools I didn't apply to that are sending me emails.

@GreenEyedTrombonist Haha same here! Northwestern apparently thinks that I would be very interested in pursuing either a counseling or a law degree. They have been sending me emails at least once a week in the last two months or so. USC on the other hand, told me a few times that I have "a calling to be a social worker."

Oh man. Somehow I've managed to miss the onslaught of university spam emails. I'm also realizing how lucky it is that I'm not getting the junk mail from the post man. I haven't told anyone in my house that I've applied and don't want them becoming suspicious! 

@Gadgette, they also don't send emails at 3:00 in the morning. Not that I know from personal experience...

I find myself to be checking this site more and more as things start to move along. Only a few people in my circle know that I have even applied to PhD programs so at least I don't have people constantly asking me if I've heard back yet. 

Edited by blackscholar

My routine has become: check mail, check grad cafe admission results, check website, then mail again.........It's unnerving especially when you see people getting accepted into the same program you applied to :(

3 minutes ago, b_brew said:

My routine has become: check mail, check grad cafe admission results, check website, then mail again.........It's unnerving especially when you see people getting accepted into the same program you applied to :(

That's pretty much my routine. I wasn't really on here much previous to seeing interviews in my field go out. News is starting to seep out in a twisted way. Those that got rejected have gotten rejected, and then there are those of us who have not heard back but still feel disheartened because of those rejections.

Someone told me last night "no news is good news." I'm not sure I believe that anymore ?

Thankfully I have a busy office job (fancy name for a call center) so I'm on the phone all day. My mobile is next to my keyboard and I get a noticifaction when an email comes in, but its mostly job alerts and Linked In shit. Last week I got 2 rejections on the same day but now things have been quiet for a while. I check my spam box about twice a day, and my regular inbox once (in case my Phone didn't send me a notification).

Waking up is a scary moment, because of the time difference THE email could be in my inbox (but it hasn't been there yet). Í check this forum about twice a day, but not the results page.

I'm now starting to get curious about why I'm not getting spam emails from schools...maybe I've somehow stayed off the radar? No freaking clue.

I keep telling myself that nothing is going to be coming in right now. I have three interviews for programs in February so I won't hear anything new from them until after that. I only have one program hanging out in the ether and they had a much later deadline (January 9) so I know they won't be reaching out quite yet. But I just...keep...checking....

15 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

Today, Northwestern wants me to "become a powerful mental health counselor." I guess they thought putting powerful in the subject line would appeal to me more? Do I get to be a superhero? Are there capes involved?

No capes! Did The Incredibles teach you nothing?

On 2017. 1. 27. at 7:16 AM, stereopticons said:

If there were capes, I'd probably turn it down. Because I DID learn from the Incredibles. But I would go to superhero school without capes.

Guys - I watched the Incredibles a couple of times but have no idea what @GunningForGrad and @stereopticons are referring too with the capes. My memory isn't what it used to be so hoping that I won't need to memorize too much crap in grad school.. lol

My email has been silent for nearly 24 hours - not even spam! I know this because I checked it almost once an hour as I am waiting on a reply from a POI regarding interview scheduling. 

4 minutes ago, DBear said:

Guys - I watched the Incredibles a couple of times but have no idea what @GunningForGrad and @stereopticons are referring too with the capes. My memory isn't what it used to be so hoping that I won't need to memorize too much crap in grad school.. lol

My email has been silent for nearly 24 hours - not even spam! I know this because I checked it almost once an hour as I am waiting on a reply from a POI regarding interview scheduling. 

Hahaha...the designer of the new superhero costumes for the Incredibles is adamant about not including capes because capes are a safety hazard and usually end up being the downfall. Spoiler alert: the villain of the movie wears a cape.

OOOH!! I remember the designer now, it's coming back to me!

And after getting my first official notification via email (the online system hasn't been updated at all) I've been checking my email more than ever.