How many times have you checked your spam box today?

hopefulPhD2017

2 hours ago, stereopticons said:

Same! NYU and Northwestern keep blasting me with their Masters in Counseling programs which I have no interest in. 

Dude, at least Masters in Counseling has a semblance of relevance to what you actually want to do lol I keep getting those NYU emails too and I'm thinking why would they send this to an English lit/ Communication person? I even tried to SPAM it but somehow they keep coming! I also get these promo emails from some art school. 

2 minutes ago, DBear said:

Dude, at least Masters in Counseling has a semblance of relevance to what you actually want to do lol I keep getting those NYU emails too and I'm thinking why would they send this to an English lit/ Communication person? I even tried to SPAM it but somehow they keep coming! I also get these promo emails from some art school. 

I keep getting speech languagenpathology ones, too. I have no idea how they generate them but it seems like I get one every day!

@GreenEyedTrombonist if I get an email from Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, I will for sure open it. 

2 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I keep getting speech languagenpathology ones, too. I have no idea how they generate them but it seems like I get one every day!

@GreenEyedTrombonist if I get an email from Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, I will for sure open it. 

Yes, there's no rhyme or reason it seems. But I have to be honest that when I saw people saying they got these emails from schools like Columbia, I freaked out thinking that my GRE score was too crappy to make their canned email list of honor. Obviously I read a bit too much into SPAM!! 

And I'm hoping to get an email from Hogwarts. That wouldn't be spam.

Ok, I saved them because I think they're interesting. I have officially gotten those emails from:

Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis (M.A. in Psychoanalysis or Mental Health Counseling)

USC (I want to go there for Communication, but this is for an MSW)

Harvard Extension School (no program listed)

UCF (PhD in Texts and Technology or Graduate video-game development program)

Columbia University (MA in Climate and Society)

Brandeis University (PhD's in Anthropology, Archaeology, History, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies, and Politics)

Yeshiva University (MSW)

UC Merced (no program listed, mentions Interdisciplinary Humanities in another email)

Notre Dame (MGA or PhDs for Peace Studies or Political Science)

University of Michigan School of Information ( MS in Information, MHI, or PhD programs)

I think that's all of them...

39 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

I'd much prefer an email from Hogwarts @DBear

Imagine of we were waiting for admission to Hogwarts, we'd have to stare out the window all day waiting for the owl to fly in. Probably move around from window to window since you never know which direction the owl is coming from!

I'm packing for my vacation back at home, and one last thing I do before I leave my office is check the emails and this forum again. I mean these really get to me now. Bah I'm gonna enjoy my vacation and leave this behind for a while. 

28 minutes ago, GeorgeC07 said:

I'm packing for my vacation back at home, and one last thing I do before I leave my office is check the emails and this forum again. I mean these really get to me now. Bah I'm gonna enjoy my vacation and leave this behind for a while. 

Sounds like a great time to get away for vacation! Don't check any of this stuff, it will all be here when you get back :)

I've checked my spam folder maybe three times today, but I've been checking my email so much that I'm thinking about making a Rule. Which sounds like a better balance of reasonable and responsible: 3 times per day or five?

14 hours ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Sounds like a great time to get away for vacation! Don't check any of this stuff, it will all be here when you get back :)

It doesn't seem possible to just leave it all behind. I even check my mailbox on the train home. But it's still exciting to be on vacation.

I know it's awful, how accessible things are. And then there's that niggling part of my brain that is fearful of accidentally trashing an acceptance inadvertently, the butt dialing of grad school screw ups. I'm sure the chances of accidentally hitting the trash icon before actually seeing, say, Harvard's email acceptance is highly unlikely, but since my applications are in, my email is checked, my spreadsheets are filled out and there is nothing to do but let my mind wander, this is what I worry about.

I've checked my spam box 11 times today already, BTW. I'm actually praying that there will be no internet service in DC tomorrow from the massive crowds and I won't be able to check anything at all.

I was checking my email multiple times an hour without thinking about spam. Saw this thread and now I have to check the spam box every time as well. Last night I got actual letters on how to set up an online account to monitor status for one application. So add old fashioned mail and that new sight to my email, spam, and this website to the list of things I check way too often.

I can't tell you how many times I flip over to my gmail window and F5 hoping for new messages... Too many.  I am  trying to limit it to doing it only after I complete a task, but it's not reducing the number by much. 

I'm trying to remind myself that it's already 2:30 or 3:30 on a Friday for some of the schools that I'm waiting on, so the odds of me hearing anything today are teeny tiny.

Edited by ugggggh

7 minutes ago, ugggggh said:

I can't tell you how many times I flip over to my gmail window and F5 hoping for new messages... Too many.  I am  trying to limit it to doing it only after I complete a task, but it's not reducing the number by much. 

I'm trying to remind myself that it's already 2:30 or 3:30 on a Friday for some of the schools that I'm waiting on, so the odds of me hearing anything today are teeny tiny.

I'm doing data entry at work today and I'm only allowing myself to check my email after every 10. But it's still a LOT. And you're right about it being Friday and unlikely hear, but it hasn't stopped me...

I'm the same. It's the weekend and I'm still checking like an idiot. It's just such a long wait...Made the mistake of looking at the little red diamonds on the results pages of my schools where it shows GRE scores people have had. Doesn't help the confidence! Stay away! 

13 hours ago, terraaurea said:

I'm the same. It's the weekend and I'm still checking like an idiot. It's just such a long wait...Made the mistake of looking at the little red diamonds on the results pages of my schools where it shows GRE scores people have had. Doesn't help the confidence! Stay away! 

Those little red diamonds will be the death of me.