Playwriting MFAs

dampka

20 hours ago, Applicant2021me said:

Has anyone heard from the new school or northwestern yet?

havent heard anything from NU yet ? even checked the portal to see if they updated my status, but nothing. Hope they send out rejections soon so I can just rule it out.

7 minutes ago, natalinal said:

havent heard anything from NU yet ? even checked the portal to see if they updated my status, but nothing. Hope they send out rejections soon so I can just rule it out.

Literally same I haven’t even interviewed so I’ve known it was a rejection for a long time idk why it’s taking so long

On 4/15/2021 at 4:02 PM, oliveswatz said:

well first--congrats maybe future possible classmate! If I may ask, how are you planning on doing that? I'm autistic and this kind of correspondence absolutely terrifies me

I'm just going to send them a polite, brief, and casual email letting them know my circumstances and asking if there's any way to increase the scholarship amount. Maybe a paragraph long :) 

14 hours ago, Mel Rose said:

Congrats @oliveswatz and @space94! That’s so great to hear! Woot!!!

Scholarship-wise, I would definitely ask for more if you need it! 

No news for me from NYU so I’m going to mentally count myself out. Sigh. Maybe next year. 

Still holding on hope for Iowa, as my correspondence with Lisa really made me feel that it might be a good fit aesthetically. I love so many of the writers who have come out of that program. Fingers crossed.

Congrats to everyone who got good news today!

Thank you, friend! I think you still have a good shot with NYU or any of the other waitlists you're on this year. Don't count yourself out, yet! 

Just got the kindest, most supportive email from Lisa at Iowa releasing me from the waitlist, as the offers made were accepted. Oh well...looks likely I'll be here next year as well (barring any plot twists from NYU), so, gearing up soon for 2022!

She did let me know (just wanted to share the info/details): Iowa accepts 3 students each year, fully funded/stipended, and you get full productions of your work throughout your time there.

--

Thank you everyone for all the information/advice throughout my first application cycle! I learned a lot through this process, and will be much better equipped and focused next Fall, with a revised list of schools. I've decided I'm moving back to NY anyway in about two months, and would love to connect with other NYC based playwrights.

Every program I have corresponded with has indicated that they had a record number of competitive applications this year, so we should all feel proud to have gotten this far. Plus, it's an extraordinary feat to have workshopped, written, or revised plays during a year when theatre is closed and we are basically doing our work in a vacuum (or on a ZOOM screen). Congrats all!

On 4/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, Mel Rose said:

Just got the kindest, most supportive email from Lisa at Iowa releasing me from the waitlist, as the offers made were accepted. Oh well...looks likely I'll be here next year as well (barring any plot twists from NYU), so, gearing up soon for 2022!

She did let me know (just wanted to share the info/details): Iowa accepts 3 students each year, fully funded/stipended, and you get full productions of your work throughout your time there.

--

Thank you everyone for all the information/advice throughout my first application cycle! I learned a lot through this process, and will be much better equipped and focused next Fall, with a revised list of schools. I've decided I'm moving back to NY anyway in about two months, and would love to connect with other NYC based playwrights.

Every program I have corresponded with has indicated that they had a record number of competitive applications this year, so we should all feel proud to have gotten this far. Plus, it's an extraordinary feat to have workshopped, written, or revised plays during a year when theatre is closed and we are basically doing our work in a vacuum (or on a ZOOM screen). Congrats all!

Barring a miracle from IU, I'll likely be making the leap to NYC this summer as well! 

Good luck!

@natalinalnothing! Okay so last year someone got off the waitlist on April 17th so I’ve been obsessively checking my email...I had a feeling it could be this week but I guess there’s no way of knowing. Them saying there’s only a handful of applicants on the waitlist has definitely gotten my hopes up but I’m not sure what to think at this point!! Ahhh

28 minutes ago, broccolini said:

@natalinalnothing! Okay so last year someone got off the waitlist on April 17th so I’ve been obsessively checking my email...I had a feeling it could be this week but I guess there’s no way of knowing. Them saying there’s only a handful of applicants on the waitlist has definitely gotten my hopes up but I’m not sure what to think at this point!! Ahhh

yes yes i heard that too! And that the current first year class is made up of four people who got off the waitlist... so.

1 hour ago, natalinal said:

yes yes i heard that too! And that the current first year class is made up of four people who got off the waitlist... so.

Oh my gosh....that is very very hopeful 

how funny would it be if we end up being classmates and we can say we met on grad cafe ?

maybe 4/20 will bring us some good luck ??

On 4/19/2021 at 10:16 PM, broccolini said:

smash that ~~heart~~ if these waitlists are driving you insane ?

Letting go of my waitlist angst a little (just because I know NU and NYU notoriously can keep people on the waitlist through August ?)...) and I need to move on. But...I can't leave GradCafe altogether for this cycle because I still don't have a solid answer from Ohio. Assuming rejection, but I just would like to close out the cycle with some semblance of closure!

28 minutes ago, Mel Rose said:

Letting go of my waitlist angst a little (just because I know NU and NYU notoriously can keep people on the waitlist through August ?)...) and I need to move on. But...I can't leave GradCafe altogether for this cycle because I still don't have a solid answer from Ohio. Assuming rejection, but I just would like to close out the cycle with some semblance of closure!

Has anybody heard anything from Ohio? Interviews or anything? It just seems like a long time for all of us to have heard nothing. 

2 hours ago, broccolini said:

I’m kind of tempted to email NU just to ask about their typical waitlist timeline or see if there’s been any movement this year...what do y’all think?

I was also going to do that today or tomorrow so let me know what they say!

25 minutes ago, HbDubs said:

@sandringhamcan you tell me what your rejection said?  I'm very confused about the verbiage in mine ???

Oh maybe yours isn’t a rejection! This is the key sentence in mine: “We regret to inform you that you are no longer under consideration for admission to this year’s program.” What did yours say?

25 minutes ago, sandringham said:

Oh maybe yours isn’t a rejection! This is the key sentence in mine: “We regret to inform you that you are no longer under consideration for admission to this year’s program.” What did yours say?

It was definitely a rejection. ??  Did your email talk about second reads and or the nine finalists?

Edited by HbDubs