PhD Fall 2018 Applicants

vallaboop

36 minutes ago, Becks_Psych said:

Don't lose hope! Try your best to find something to distract you during this waiting period. It's early January, and a lot of schools may have taken a long break due to the way the holidays fell this year. 

I agree with Becks. I haven't heard from a single school, but historically, every school I've applied to doesn't notify until early, mid- or late January. I have heard from one POI a couple days ago but just to tell me when that POI will be reviewing applications. That's at Teachers College.

For those interested, interview notifications for these schools approximately come out at these times. These are just the schools I've applied to, of course, there's variability with some POIs doing things on their own.

George Mason - early January

UMD/Maryland College Park - early January

American University - mid-January

Boston University - late January

Teachers College - late January

Harvard - late January/early February

St. John's - late January/early February

Edited by missfleur

If anybody has heard from UCLA's social neuroscience faculty can you DM me your POI.  

I'm holding onto naïve strand of  hope that perhaps not all invitations have gone out because the department admin emailed me that interview invitations will go out exactly two weeks before interview weekend...and I believe two weeks will be tomorrow...or if you have heard from Jennifer Silvers via the developmental area could you DM me as well. 

Also, if anybody has heard rom Jay Van Bavel's team at NYU?

Edited by hg92

I tried not to freak out too much last week because I assumed most people were on vacation the week between Christmas and New Years. Now it's Friday of the first week back and I'm starting to get nervous...Ahh! I'm sick of not sleeping because of anxiety :( who else feels this way?

Has anyone had problems with Johns Hopkins Cognitive Science matching their GRE scores to their application? I sent my scores to all my schools in the middle of November and only JHU is having trouble with them. I'm getting nervous that they're not going to look at my application!

1 hour ago, cindyboop said:

I tried not to freak out too much last week because I assumed most people were on vacation the week between Christmas and New Years. Now it's Friday of the first week back and I'm starting to get nervous...Ahh! I'm sick of not sleeping because of anxiety :( who else feels this way?

4 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I feel you exactly. I've only heard from 3 out of 10, but I'm waiting until the end of next week to REALLY lose it. 

4 minutes ago, minds said:

I feel you exactly. I've only heard from 3 out of 10, but I'm waiting until the end of next week to REALLY lose it. 

I've only heard from one and it's driving me crazy! I'm only positive that one other school I applied to has sent out interview invites though. I hate this feeling uncertainty and through all my scouring of this forum I haven't found people applying to most the programs I applied to so I have no idea if I will ever know whether or not it's time to worry until it's too late :( 

11 minutes ago, clinpsych55 said:

I'm waiting on this, too! Seems like they typically send out interview invites the first weekend of January (aka potentially tomorrow). :wacko:

if you here from them can you please DM me? I'll do the same for you !

9 minutes ago, Stauce said:

Anyone know if every formal invitation is preceded by an informal conversation/interview? Or is that just a practice that some faculty engage in?

I've received three formal invitations so far, but didn't have an informal conversation before receiving any of them. I think it depends on the program and faculty member.

2 hours ago, EN94 said:

Has anyone heard from Minnesota for the Institute of Child Development's, 
Developmental Psychopathology and Clinical Science (DPCS) training track?

Not yet. According to gradcafe survey past data, decisions for the DPCS track seem to go out in late January. 

9 hours ago, cindyboop said:

I'm forestalling freaking out until next Friday. I did my Friday sweep of application statuses and still have no updates, no emails, nada. Gradcafe history says my programs still have time, though I'm seeing interviews going out for a couple of them. Next Friday is a good midpoint for when the majority of my programs have contacted people. One of the programs looks like generic rejection emails went out today, so I'm choosing to be grateful I didn't receive one of those. ;):D

Can the university of Miami applicant please pm their Poi to me?  Congrats & thank you. I received an email from them today but it just said that they’ve received all of my documents. I’d love to hear POI’s on Michigan State, Albany, Stony Brook University & Rochester if possible. Thank you. Also UCONN. 

1 minute ago, umlemaillist said:

Can the university of Miami applicant please pm their Poi to me?  Congrats & thank you. I received an email from them today but it just said that they’ve received all of my documents. I’d love to hear POI’s on Michigan State, Albany, Stony Brook University & Rochester if possible. Thank you. Also UCONN. 

& Virginia Tech

1 hour ago, Stauce said:

Anyone know if every formal invitation is preceded by an informal conversation/interview? Or is that just a practice that some faculty engage in?

I think it definitely varies by faculty. I received 3 formal invites so far, one from a POI who I have never been in contact with (and I missed the application deadline!). I've had 2 additional post-application Skype conversations, though nothing formal from those yet. It seems like some faculty tend to do this when they have more potential candidates than interview invites available and need to narrow it down. My current PI doesn't care to do pre-interview conversations unless the applicant requests it, though appreciates a "heads up I'm applying" email before applications.

1 hour ago, PsyZei said:

I'm forestalling freaking out until next Friday. I did my Friday sweep of application statuses and still have no updates, no emails, nada. Gradcafe history says my programs still have time, though I'm seeing interviews going out for a couple of them. Next Friday is a good midpoint for when the majority of my programs have contacted people. One of the programs looks like generic rejection emails went out today, so I'm choosing to be grateful I didn't receive one of those. ;):D

That's good! (About you not receiving a rejection) fingers crossed we both receive interview emails next week!

2 hours ago, Stauce said:

Only some! I got two interviews without an informal call, and two after one. I have two other informal calls scheduled to assess fit

Left Skew's December 27th thread  

"Here is a PDF based on the results of all Psychology students (over 35000) since the origin of grad cafe. The first 3 tables show the 10 most common dates (by count) for getting an interview, getting accepted, and getting rejected ? .  I would do relative frequency and should've...maybe tomorrow.

Then a longitudinal line graph (which shows these decisions throughout the year)

Finally, one that focuses more on the "critical-period" when most decisions are made."

Edited by Louvre

I applied to two programs where I found a potential mentors that looked like they might be a good fit, University of Houston (Clinical) and Colorado State (Counseling). After seeing some of you guys I feel like I should have applied to more. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Edited by Jung@Heart

For those waiting on NYU's social area...I received emailed confirmation from my POI that all invitations for the area have been sent for their open house. 

However, he mentioned that students are still being considering for their masters programs. 

Also, keep your heads up everyone....my friend got rejected from their PhD program, accepted into the masters, but ended up with offers from UCLA and Stanford. It's all about fit. :D

Edited by hg92

Hey all! Thanks again for everyone who offered encouragement after I was super worried about my shaky phone interview. If you wanted an update: I received an email yesterday with an invite for the onsite interview, stating they were very impressed with my phone interview, haha. I guess you never really know what they're thinking or looking for!

Interview is for UMD College Park in February.