Fulbright 2018-2019

AnnMarie

6 hours ago, QueenB13 said:

Semi-Finalist for research in Cyprus! Unfortunately my friend applied for Canada and was not recommended ;(  Anyone else doing Cyprus?? 

Congratulations! I traveled to Cyprus for spring break last year during my Fulbright year and I loved it! I want to move there now. Best of luck during the remainder of the application process!

Has anyone else NOT received an email? I am applying from the UK to study in NYC, but i haven't received any news yet. Watching this forum on Friday with everyone getting their news was stressful to say the least. Can anyone confirm that emails have been sent out to UK based applicants? 

Congratulations to everyone that has been recommended so far!

2 minutes ago, neil-oliver said:

Has anyone else NOT received an email? I am applying from the UK to study in NYC, but i haven't received any news yet. Watching this forum on Friday with everyone getting their news was stressful to say the least. Can anyone confirm that emails have been sent out to UK based applicants? 

Congratulations to everyone that has been recommended so far!

Everyone I know on this forum is heading from the US -> country, if you're heading from the U.K. You may be on a different timeline. The email on Friday was from the US state department to US citizens, letting us know they had forwarded the application to our host countries. I'm betting your email will come soon, albeit on a different timeline.  ? 

Does anyone know any other fulbrighters trying to come to the US?

Thanks for the reply. There seems to be no one talking about the UK side of things that i can find. I did re-read our application documentation though and it said our interviews would be carried out this week; so its not looking likely that i have been shortlisted. I did just email them and they have said that everyone will be informed by Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

On 1/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, chandler_smith said:

Semi-finalist for Open Research in Berlin, Germany! Anyone else prospectively headed to Deutschland?? 

Hi all - caved and made an account. Also a semi-finalist for open research in Berlin! Anyone know if any interviews/additional items/when we'll be notified?

Congratulations to all those who made it this far, and everyone else please keep trying! 

On 1/27/2018 at 6:50 PM, Monsieur Vénus said:

Another France ETA semi-finalist here :D would love if you or @whale_shark would post if you hear anything about France's procedures for selecting finalists. I've been searching like crazy to see if they're one of the countries that do interviews and to find out how many semi-finalists they typically get, but I haven't found much besides that Fulbright typically picks 1.5x-2x as many semi-finalists as there are awards

Hi @Monsieur Vénus and @cafelove ! Yes I haven't heard anything since the email, and I submitted my request through my university for an official transcript sent to IIE. I don't think France has an interview, but I'm can't say for sure. I'm so excited about this, and good luck to all! 

Do you guys know if they look at our TAPIF applications?? 

56 minutes ago, whale_shark said:

Hi @Monsieur Vénus and @cafelove ! Yes I haven't heard anything since the email, and I submitted my request through my university for an official transcript sent to IIE. I don't think France has an interview, but I'm can't say for sure. I'm so excited about this, and good luck to all! 

Do you guys know if they look at our TAPIF applications?? 

I'm pretty sure they do? I'm meeting with my professor ( a former Fulbrighter) later this afternoon to ask questions about the different city/region requests. According to her they will contact us soon to make sure we want to keep the 3 regions we listed on the TAPIF applications. I'll try to pick her brain about the next steps as much as possible and let you all know! 

10 hours ago, norangom said:

Semifinalist for research in South Korea. Got my email Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM. Anyone else applied for research in Korea?

Hello! I also received semi-finalist for research in South Korea!! So exciting :) congrats to everyone so far~

Finally caved and made an account! Just got recommended for South Korea ETA!

Did anyone here get their e-mail super late? I didn't get ANYTHING on Friday (nothing in spam/junk either). I actually had to contact my advisor today and she told me that I got a recommendation for it. Super exciting, but I was dying the entire weekend lol

5 hours ago, cafelove said:

I'm pretty sure they do? I'm meeting with my professor ( a former Fulbrighter) later this afternoon to ask questions about the different city/region requests. According to her they will contact us soon to make sure we want to keep the 3 regions we listed on the TAPIF applications. I'll try to pick her brain about the next steps as much as possible and let you all know! 

It would be great to hear what your professor says! I just spoke with my campus Fulbright advisor, and he said that France has, historically, not conducted interviews. He also said that, if they were conducting interviews, we would have already been notified about them. And that's good to know about them considering our preferred TAPIF regions! I had just kind of assumed they would ignore our TAPIF application unless we didn't win the Fulbright, haha

2 hours ago, Monsieur Vénus said:

It would be great to hear what your professor says! I just spoke with my campus Fulbright advisor, and he said that France has, historically, not conducted interviews. He also said that, if they were conducting interviews, we would have already been notified about them. And that's good to know about them considering our preferred TAPIF regions! I had just kind of assumed they would ignore our TAPIF application unless we didn't win the Fulbright, haha

Hey! Yeah, my professor said the same thing about the interviews. Also, I think that by virtue of being a semi-finalist, we are (possibly?) more likely to be considered for TAPIF. I also heard that we will most likely have the opportunity to change the list of regions that we mentioned on the TAPIF application, if we so choose. Don't quote me on that, though!  What did you and @whale_shark request for the regions? 

3 minutes ago, cafelove said:

Strasbourg, Poitiers, and Rennes (in some sort of order) ;)   To be honest, I don't have all that much of a preference – just being in France is enough for me! haha

I feel that! I didn't have much of a preference either besides Bordeaux, and I really only chose that because my thesis work is on an author from that area!

Hey all! Sort of wondering how the Google doc can be accurate? Seems like so many were recommended! If only 20-30% of applicants are recommended, how can it be the case (for example) that basically EVERY Germany applicant was recommended? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

I get that we are sort of "self-selective" since we are motivated (and crazy!) enough to be going on this forum and logging the results, but I still would expect to see more rejections for something this selective.

Edited by heretofulbright
Typo!

20 minutes ago, heretofulbright said:

Hey all! Sort of wondering how the Google doc can be accurate? Seems like so many were recommended! If only 20-30% of applicants are recommended, how can it be the case (for example) that basically EVERY Germany applicant was recommended? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cd86U9AreH9k_-WKLKnLCLn_C5MC3FKvZZ9RhlqSAq4/edit#gid=1535702113

I get that we are sort of "self-selective" since we are motivated (and crazy!) enough to be going on this forum and logging the results, but I still would expect to see more rejections for something this selective.

The google document is mostly based and built on self-reports from users/readers of this forum. It is not that every German applicant was recommended, it is just the ones that happen to be in this forum are and they are reporting so. Some users who were not recommended may also stop coming here after receiving their non-selected e-mail and their results don't end up there. Most people that use the sheet are people who get in, although there are a good few that do end up sharing their non-selected status in the form. Is the 20-30% of applications you're mentioning all of Fulbright applicants? If so, you have to remember only a tiny minority of the applicants end up here doing those self-reports in the google doc (for example, in last year's google doc there were 5 Colombian Fulbrighters saying they got recommended and selected. There were 91 Fulbright spots in total during the orientation in Colombia, so about 7% of the accepted applicants ended up reporting in that google doc).  

Edited by ibette

10 hours ago, anthropomorphic said:

Has anyone else accepted a job offer already?  I signed a letter of agreement thinking I'd be rejected, but I was selected as a semi-finalist for Taiwan.  I don't know if I should give them a heads-up now that I might have to defer or if that's premature.

This is a tricky matter because it depends on which choice will be more beneficial for your future/what you prefer. For example, there were people last year who landed their dream job as well as a Fulbright. Some people talked to their employers and they allowed them to re-apply when they return, some of them made them decide (job or Fulbright), and some people chose the Fulbright over their job, but I will say it really depends on the job. If you already accepted a job offer I wouldn't worry about it on this stage since you're a semi-finalist. If selected as a finalist, I feel that is when you should think on your choices, if the job position you hold is more beneficial to your future or if it something passing and you would rather go through with a Fulbright, or vice-versa. 

1 hour ago, heretofulbright said:

I'm going to +1 everything that @ibette said above, but it's also interesting that you use Germany as an example, as 2/3rds of the Germany applicants are ETAs, which has a pretty high acceptance rates for a few different reasons. First off, purely numerically, 140 awards is a lot. That's a huge commitment Germany has made to this program. But also, for the ETAs, Germany has a hard requirement for applicants to speak German at a high intermediate B-Level just to be eligible. This weeds out a lot of comparatively less "motivated" candidates before the paper even hits the table. Ah, that sweet German efficiency. So if every single applicant is motivated enough to have gone through at least 2 years of intense language study, and the nature of the google sheet is self-selective on top of that, and then they accept 140 ETAs in total, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone on the sheet becomes a finalist, at least on the ETA side. Not sure about the intricacies of the Research/Study requirements so I can't speak to that.

Hey all, best of luck to everyone in this round! Is anyone else's country not on the spreadsheet?! I'm a semi finalist for Nigeria and theres absolutely no record of when I will hear the final notifications by :wacko::blink:

Edited by JKay

31 minutes ago, Maverick_88 said:

Were you contacted for an interview by the Fulbright or directly by the host country? I applied to Luxembourg and heard that they conducted interviews the past two years but I am not sure if I should be expecting an interview date :unsure:

I was contacted by the UK Fulbright office. Where are you finding this information about when interviews are being conducted?