Genetic Counseling Fall 2018 Applicants

GeneDawg

On 11/5/2017 at 2:23 PM, trp111 said:

My writers said they didn't receive from Baylor so I think it may be after we submit. Please let me know if you find out something different!

You’re right. She received everything, but Baylor and UAMS. So now those will be my two top priority schools to get submitted first. 

So I think I know the answer to this- but programs want individual transcripts from all schools attended, right? It's not enough to send your latest one that has all institutions/grades listed? Hoping someone has found a loophole for this somewhere. Really not wild about paying for transcripts from 3 schools x 7 programs I'm applying to! 

35 minutes ago, hopetobeGC said:

So I think I know the answer to this- but programs want individual transcripts from all schools attended, right? It's not enough to send your latest one that has all institutions/grades listed? Hoping someone has found a loophole for this somewhere. Really not wild about paying for transcripts from 3 schools x 7 programs I'm applying to! 

@hopetobeGC To my understanding, yes you need official from all schools attended. You could maybe ask if unofficial transcripts are okay for the older schools/schools you didn't graduate from, but as far as I know, no loophole. I feel your pain, I have 2 schools to send transcripts from for 10 applications. I'm just glad that not all of them require official transcripts. 

So a lot of the applications have a section to list the other schools we're applying to and I was wondering if that was something we're actually supposed to fill out? It feels like a trap! 

4 hours ago, hopetobeGC said:

3 hours ago, Nefelibata said:

@hopetobeGC To my understanding, yes you need official from all schools attended. You could maybe ask if unofficial transcripts are okay for the older schools/schools you didn't graduate from, but as far as I know, no loophole. I feel your pain, I have 2 schools to send transcripts from for 10 applications. I'm just glad that not all of them require official transcripts. 

I feel you both-I've done coursework at 6 different schools and plan to apply to 10-ish programs next year! But on that note, I had contacted schools asking about re-applying a few years ago, and multiple programs told me to only send in transcripts for new coursework completed since the last application. So it might be worth reaching out to the programs you are applying to and asking about this, if you're a re-applicant!

3 hours ago, hfj23 said:

So a lot of the applications have a section to list the other schools we're applying to and I was wondering if that was something we're actually supposed to fill out? It feels like a trap! 

Nope, not required in the slightest. I'm not sure entirely what they use it for, other than to gauge how they stand versus other schools? But feel free to leave blank, shouldn't affect you one way or the other.

19 hours ago, hfj23 said:

I interviewed a couple of places last year and they just used the list to sort of gauge where they ranked in your mind compared to the others you listed. But I don't think it's required at all. Probably not as necessary this year with the match 

On 11/7/2017 at 1:11 PM, hfj23 said:

In Sarah Lawrence's webinar they said it was used so they can see how they compare to the other schools you are applying to like if you are looking at all small schools or all schools that have rotations in the first year etc.  This may differ from program to program though.

10 hours ago, GCo.Hopeful said:

I interviewed a couple of places last year and they just used the list to sort of gauge where they ranked in your mind compared to the others you listed. But I don't think it's required at all. Probably not as necessary this year with the match 

5 hours ago, KG203040 said:

In Sarah Lawrence's webinar they said it was used so they can see how they compare to the other schools you are applying to like if you are looking at all small schools or all schools that have rotations in the first year etc.  This may differ from program to program though.

yeah...that definitely sounds like a trap. I don't want schools to think I'm indecisive/don't care about their school or anything because I'm applying to 10 lol and honestly I have almost no preference. I'm just trying to get in at this point! I just hate leaving part of the application blank but in this case I probably will.

47 minutes ago, lilmaz said:

Just submitted all of my applications and it feels so good! (Bank account is hurting a little though...) Now for the hard part.....waiting :)

I know how your feeling, I submitted all my applications last week and besides waiting for the recommenders to do their thing its just "patient waiting" until January. I feel happy but kinda of empty due to spending over a year preparing for this. Hopefully (fingers- crossed) its not as bad as last year. 

5 minutes ago, JN212 said:

I know how your feeling, I submitted all my applications last week and besides waiting for the recommenders to do their thing its just "patient waiting" until January. I feel happy but kinda of empty due to spending over a year preparing for this. Hopefully (fingers- crossed) its not as bad as last year. 

So true! Plus the timing is the worst for me because I am graduating and defending my current Master's thesis next month. I know I won't even feel like celebrating until I know what is happening in April!! This is my first time applying so I bounce back and forth between being confident and feeling totally ill-prepared. Oh well, it will all work out for the best!! 

1 hour ago, lilmaz said:

Just submitted all of my applications and it feels so good! (Bank account is hurting a little though...) Now for the hard part.....waiting :)

Nice!!! I'm spreading mine out so it doesn't seem like I'm spending ~$700 at once lol. So far I've only submitted Ohio and Indiana and still waiting for one more LoR to be submitted /: Did Northwestern, Wisconsin, and VCU send you a confirmation email with the materials they've received so far? I'm not sure if they got my GRE scores but i know Indiana and Ohio told me what they had received when I submitted my apps so I'm just wondering 

4 minutes ago, hfj23 said:

Nice!!! I'm spreading mine out so it doesn't seem like I'm spending ~$700 at once lol. So far I've only submitted Ohio and Indiana and still waiting for one more LoR to be submitted /: Did Northwestern, Wisconsin, and VCU send you a confirmation email with the materials they've received so far? I'm not sure if they got my GRE scores but i know Indiana and Ohio told me what they had received when I submitted my apps so I'm just wondering 

Nothing yet, I took my GRE in late Oct and just sent all my official scores earlier this week. On the ETS page it still says pending and their website says it can take a couple weeks so I will keep checking that when I check my LoR responses. I'm applying to the M.S/PhD program at VCU so I need to keep in contact with the director so both programs get my scores.  

2 hours ago, lilmaz said:

Wow, I'm over here still stressing and haven't submitted a single application yet. I sent in all my transcripts, need to send in a few schools my GRE scores, and really just have to finish my personal statement. I just took the final for the neurogenetics class which had been taking most of my focus, so now I need to dig in deep and get everything finished and turned in. Hoping to turn everything in by December 1st.  

37 minutes ago, hopetobeGC said:

So if a certain school's deadline is Dec. 1, but they say they don't review applications until Jan-Feb...do you think scores from a late November GRE would be considered? 

I think so! Everything I've seen is to take it before Dec. 1st. Since most applications have you self report GRE scores anyway I think if the officials were a little late you would still be considered. My GRE scores are crazy so I didn't even consider taking it again later, but if its important to you I wouldn't worry about it and just report them as soon as you can! 

Has anyone else applying to Stanford noticed they changed their personal statement restrictions from 500-750 words to 2 pages, double spaced? If so, how are you all navigating this? I wrote my statement following the original limitations so now I'm a bit worried...

1 hour ago, GC12018 said:

Has anyone else applying to Stanford noticed they changed their personal statement restrictions from 500-750 words to 2 pages, double spaced? If so, how are you all navigating this? I wrote my statement following the original limitations so now I'm a bit worried...

I am having the same issues. I was about to submit my essay and noticed it too :(

54 minutes ago, GeneDawg said:

I am having the same issues. I was about to submit my essay and noticed it too :(

750 words was already so short too. I'm sort of confused at what true messages we're supposed to be able to convey about our person in such a limited amount of space! 

34 minutes ago, trp111 said:

750 words was already so short too. I'm sort of confused at what true messages we're supposed to be able to convey about our person in such a limited amount of space! 

I'm having a similar issue writing my statement for Baylor - they also have a limit of 750 words. How do I get everything I want to get across in 750 words!? I have so much to say! My other ones are easily 1200-1500 words. 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:28 PM, GC12018 said:

Does anyone know if Sarah Lawrence has a strict limit on how many recommenders we can have? I know the website says two but the portal has room for more

They just said no more than 4

19 hours ago, GeneDawg said:

I emailed the program yesterday so hopefully I'll get some sort of response tomorrow. I was so ready to submit as well!!

On 11/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, lilmaz said:

That's so awesome! Did you choose to do the video essay for your application to Cincinnati? If so, how was it? I'm so nervous to do it!