Canadian MSW Applicants 2018

Applied to MSW (online/part-time) at Wilfred Laurier, for September. I see from reading previous posts that admissions was very delayed for May intake. I was under the impression from my advisor that it is rolling admission and my application would be viewed by admissions within 2 weeks. Has anyone else been given similar information for September intake? There isn't even an application deadline as of yet. Im assuming now that they have completed offers for May (online) and September( on campus) that things won't be as delayed. 

36 minutes ago, razzledazzle said:

Does anyone suspect when we should start hearing from u of t about getting off the waitlist (2 year program) ?

I did some rough calculations on when we should hear back... the 1-years got their responses around March 2nd, and had three weeks to reply (March 23), and the waitlisted applicants seem to have heard back last week (roughly 1 month later). By that timeline, the 2-years heard back around March 29th, and had about three weeks to reply (April 24). So 1 month from then would be May 22nd. That seems in line with last year -- the waitlist moved near the end of May/beginning of June.

Still quite a bit of waiting to go!

1 hour ago, lastsupper said:

I did some rough calculations on when we should hear back... the 1-years got their responses around March 2nd, and had three weeks to reply (March 23), and the waitlisted applicants seem to have heard back last week (roughly 1 month later). By that timeline, the 2-years heard back around March 29th, and had about three weeks to reply (April 24). So 1 month from then would be May 22nd. That seems in line with last year -- the waitlist moved near the end of May/beginning of June.

Still quite a bit of waiting to go!

Thanks that was helpful ?

5 hours ago, razzledazzle said:

Does anyone suspect when we should start hearing from u of t about getting off the waitlist (2 year program) ?

I think the rough calculation about hearing back in late May / June is probably correct - but I know a Alum of the 2 year MSW program who heard back at the end of August and had two weeks to prepare. I think at the end of the day - most people will have made their final decisions by June, but a few might change their mind or life happens and so people on the waitlist can realistically hear back any time until the program actually starts. 

On 4/21/2018 at 9:01 PM, KJE88 said:

After accepting my offer one of the emails they sent said:

"I know the question of how you will finance your education is an important one.  The Faculty of Social Work has a limited amount of research assistantship positions available each term. Information regarding these positions will be emailed to you late summer.  You can also find information pertaining to additional funding sources and financial assistance at the Graduate Studies website. Information will be updated for the next academic year, early June."

That is all the information I have received. I believe two people on here said they were offered a $10 000 scholarship with their offer of admission. 

Thank you!! I have yet to receive my package in the mail and it’s been over month. 

1 hour ago, Jessabee7 said:

Thank you!! I have yet to receive my package in the mail and it’s been over month. 

I don't think Laurier sends a package in the mail like other schools. I did not receive one.  I'm pretty sure it is just the email and then you have to log into LORIS.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:50 AM, Noelle1 said:

Applied to MSW (online/part-time) at Wilfred Laurier, for September. I see from reading previous posts that admissions was very delayed for May intake. I was under the impression from my advisor that it is rolling admission and my application would be viewed by admissions within 2 weeks. Has anyone else been given similar information for September intake? There isn't even an application deadline as of yet. Im assuming now that they have completed offers for May (online) and September( on campus) that things won't be as delayed. 

Thats what they tild us originally but we found out 2 weeks before. Lol

Hi,

Would anyone who took their BSW at Dalhousie (distance) or Lakehead (Orillia) be willing to share some of their experiences/thoughts with me?

Thank you ? 

On 4/3/2018 at 4:08 PM, 2 Year MSW said:

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your GPA and experiences? I was waitlisted for Western so im curious :P 

My GPA in my last two years was high 80's/low 90's I think and my overall GPA was mid 70s. I completed a HBSc in Neuroscience and Psychology and completed an advanced diploma for Child and Youth Work. I have quite a but of volunteer and experience but currently I volunteer for victim services. I work as a child and youth worker in the school board occasionally, I work at an inpatient child and adolescent psychiatric unit in a hospital (casual), and I work full time at a psychiatric treatment centre for children and youth. I also worked in a group home for youth and spent half a year in Thailand teaching english and science.

Hey all! Just posting this as a notice to those who have been accepted into the UofT MSW 2 Year and Advanced Standing programs.

There is a Facebook page that a few of us are on, which can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/209577219803864/

When joining, please answer the question as it will help me filter out spam accounts. Cheers, and congrats to all of those who made it (to UofT and other schools' programs) :)

On 4/24/2018 at 6:08 AM, skd05 said:

Thats what they tild us originally but we found out 2 weeks before. Lol

That must have been so frustrating. I am preparing for the same. 

Long time lurker, first time poster

I'm honestly just waiting on U of T's response for the pride aspect, as I'm excited to follow a different path with my helping career (I've decided to jump into teaching). My SGS has said "decision made" for a month but I've yet to receive any response (and nothing on ACORN either). From what people have said prior, I would have heard if I got in, and I would have heard if I was rejected...

Good luck to everyone!! Those who got in, I have faith in all of you. To those of you who are waiting, I hope you hear back soon, either way. I look forward to working with all of you (even if it's from another angle of care)! The work all of you are going to do will be so worthwhile ?

Happy that you've settled on a path that makes more sense for you, but you definitely should have received official notice of your status via mail – whether you were accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. If you were waitlisted, you would have had to confirm your desire to remain on the list.  Even if just for curiosity's sake, I think it's worth contacting Angela to find out what your status is, letting her know that you never received anything in the mail.

Good luck – looking forward to working with you too ☺️!!

On 4/30/2018 at 3:17 PM, tabbipotato3000 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster

I'm honestly just waiting on U of T's response for the pride aspect, as I'm excited to follow a different path with my helping career (I've decided to jump into teaching). My SGS has said "decision made" for a month but I've yet to receive any response (and nothing on ACORN either). From what people have said prior, I would have heard if I got in, and I would have heard if I was rejected...

Good luck to everyone!! Those who got in, I have faith in all of you. To those of you who are waiting, I hope you hear back soon, either way. I look forward to working with all of you (even if it's from another angle of care)! The work all of you are going to do will be so worthwhile ?

20 hours ago, laurap said:

Was just accepted off the waitlist at uWindsor, and with a scholarship to boot!!! ?? I am totally over the moon!

Congrats! I’m also going there! Would you want to connect or do you know if there is a face book group?

Has anyone recieved an admissions offer for Wilfred Laurier, September intake (online/part-time)? They have closed applications for that term.

One thing i noticed on my loris account is recently, student aid/funding has been added to my account. It wasn't there when i first applied. Has this happend to anyone else? I was told by undergrad admissions that it likely means a offer is coming, although they were unsure in my case because grad admissions is seperate.

Edited by Noelle1

2 hours ago, msw0913 said:

Accepted off the waitlist for Laurier’s 2 year program!  

1 hour ago, Aspiringmsw2320 said:

I got off the waitlist for Laurier’s 2-year MSW program :D. 

Me too!! I’m currently out of the country and woke up around 3:30am... briefly checked my phone for the time and saw the acceptance... it’s now 5am and I haven’t gotten a wink of sleep! So excited!