MFA 2018 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

I just received my notice from SAIC via usps today, which honestly is just baffling. I went and interviewed for both sculpture and film, and very clearly make films (and am interested in sculpture), all of the items in my portfolio were video, sourced from my Vimeo page....

but ive been admitted to the sculpture department all the same! Waiting on FVNMA to let me know about what they think.... nuts because I nailed the film interview, got faculty affirmation of that, and felt I bombed the sculpture interview. 

Hope sculpture folks get their notices pronto - I’m chicago based so it may have come quicker than it might to others, and I never received a phone call. 

20 minutes ago, Creech said:

I just received my notice from SAIC via usps today, which honestly is just baffling. I went and interviewed for both sculpture and film, and very clearly make films (and am interested in sculpture), all of the items in my portfolio were video, sourced from my Vimeo page....

but ive been admitted to the sculpture department all the same! Waiting on FVNMA to let me know about what they think.... nuts because I nailed the film interview, got faculty affirmation of that, and felt I bombed the sculpture interview. 

Hope sculpture folks get their notices pronto - I’m chicago based so it may have come quicker than it might to others, and I never received a phone call. 

You never received a phone call from the SAIC department and got admitted through mail directly? OMG, that is such a good news for me. I thought I got rejected because I didn’t receive any phone call and others who got admitted mostly received a phone call from their department. Probably the sculpture department just mail directly? Congratulations! And thank you so much for sharing this invaluable news! Will you accept the offer from sculpture department?

7 minutes ago, kazuhiro_chou said:

....Will you accept the offer from sculpture department?

It depends on if the film department makes an offer, honestly. But I’m intending to land at SAIC, either in Sculpture, Film, or the Low Residency, depending on how money all breaks down. 

9 minutes ago, peachgray said:

Hey do you know when we will receive our financial aid information? 

Hi! I got an acceptance call for SAIC painting and drawing yesterday. I also received the acceptance packet in the mail. 

I was offered a merit-based scholarship; my understanding is that the merit scholarships have all been chosen. However, based on your financial aid application you can get other funding. I was told to talk to the admissions counselor of the program for more info on this process. For painting and drawing, that's Patrick "Q" Quilao. 

Good luck!!

8 minutes ago, apollonia666 said:

Hi! I got an acceptance call for SAIC painting and drawing yesterday. I also received the acceptance packet in the mail. 

I was offered a merit-based scholarship; my understanding is that the merit scholarships have all been chosen. However, based on your financial aid application you can get other funding. I was told to talk to the admissions counselor of the program for more info on this process. For painting and drawing, that's Patrick "Q" Quilao. 

Good luck!!

Did your scholarship info come with your acceptance letter together? Mine did not include any scholarship info at all. :(

28 minutes ago, Creech said:

It depends on if the film department makes an offer, honestly. But I’m intending to land at SAIC, either in Sculpture, Film, or the Low Residency, depending on how money all breaks down. 

I only applied for sculpture at SAIC and it is my first choice. Thank for your sharing this info at this stage. I will check my mailbox three times a day from now. Haha congratulations and hope you get good funding from the school as well!

5 minutes ago, kazuhiro_chou said:

I only applied for sculpture at SAIC and it is my first choice. Thank for your sharing this info at this stage. I will check my mailbox three times a day from now. Haha congratulations and hope you get good funding from the school as well!

I know a painter who did not receive a call but got an acceptance letter from saic. So there is still hope lol

6 minutes ago, Makerak said:

I know a painter who did not receive a call but got an acceptance letter from saic. So there is still hope lol

Thank you! Also, you mentioned you got it through USPS? Do you remember it is in the standard mail (the slowest type) or first-class mail? I want to calculate how long it will take to ship to California. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, apollonia666 said:

It did :/. But you should inquire about the financial aid / need-based scholarship process! 

I called the financial department yesterday, and there seems no financial aid for international students (I live in Canada), but I was asked if I was willing to accept TA-ship for class when the school gave the call for acceptance, and had marked down for me. However, in the package, it states every grad student can apply for TA jobs based on professors acceptance so I am quite confused now...

5 minutes ago, kazuhiro_chou said:

Thank you! Also, you mentioned you got it through USPS? Do you remember it is in the standard mail (the slowest type) or first-class mail? I want to calculate how long it will take to ship to California. Thank you!

I didn't get it, I didn't get anything. Looking at what has been posted and from my friend it looks like standard mail.

Ahaha yes I've calculated how long it will take to get to NY. 

https://ribbs.usps.gov/modernservicestandards/ssmaps/find_map.cfm

Check this link, it will show u the "service standards" of USPS by region. How faithful USPS are to their standards though, no one knows. 

4 minutes ago, Rennnnn said:

You mean calls for interview or acceptance? And what program was that?

Yes for Ceramics. So what they did do is they review the applications with the students and then they make their picks to the faculty meetings and then they call students to let them know they got in. 

4 minutes ago, LHM said:

Yes for Ceramics. So what they did do is they review the applications with the students and then they make their picks to the faculty meetings and then they call students to let them know they got in. 

Thank you for the info! I applied for painting and I might have been rejected already since it is already March now. 

4 minutes ago, Rennnnn said:

Thank you for the info! I applied for painting and I might have been rejected already since it is already March now. 

Painting notifications for UCLA have not been sent out yet to my knowledge. When I called they said March/April.

On 2/28/2018 at 5:46 PM, Makerak said:

Eh you mean the faculty teaching in the mfa arent good as well? Or just the staff? Curious since i got an offer but havent decided yet

just the people i've met who do the interviews and recruiting are really rude. if you got an offer you should greatly consider it. it's a good school. 

1 hour ago, Creech said:

Also, you said that you got the offer through USPS? Do you remember it is in the standard mail (the slowest type) or first-class mail or any other type? Thank you!