SSHRC Doctoral Award/CGS (funding for 2018-2019)

PsychBoy

8 minutes ago, UnlikelyGrad4 said:

Thanks! I do think topic had a lot to do with it. My project looks at the reproduction of colonial hetero-patriarchy (inherited after forced displacement of Indigenous notions of gender and sexuality to undermine political structures) in contemporary Indigenous political movements and how we best address those reproductions. So I'm dealing with gender/race/Indigenous-settler relations. I also dropped "reconciliation" in there. I'm an Indigenous woman but they don't know that, so I do think the score was largely due to my topic relating to a lot of the themes SSHRC promotes.

This is indeed a very fascinating and relevant topic. Well done! I know I am personally very excited to follow your progress on it. I saw you were considering leveraging this fellowship to gain acceptance into other institutions, and I certainly think you could get a matched entrance scholarship or similar. 

Finally got my letter in the mail. Scored 9/20 (didn't get an award), with 4 publications and 3 conference presentations. It's a bit disappointing considering I won with only 2 publications 2 years ago (same proposal, 1 letter writer was still the same). I'm just burnt out on the whole process of grad school right now. 

Hi all, thought i'd share my results. I won the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS, with a score of 18.7/20. First time applicant with 4 first authored publications and 1 coauthored pub, alongside a number of conference presentations. With that being said, publications/presentations are more common in my discipline. I have to echo what everyone else has been saying, there is honestly so much luck and subjectivity that goes into it the scoring. I know I had strong reference letters as well but I would say that most of us would. If anything I think what helped me was that my research experience, publications, and proposed project were all very much aligned. Good luck to those still waiting and I hope those who didn't have luck this year aren't too discouraged, I know what a gut wrenching process this has been but you are all are extremely competent researchers to have made it to the national competition.

Edited by NWstudent

8 minutes ago, PhDough said:

Still no letter here in metro Vancouver. Anyone from SFU receive letters or emails of waitlist/rejects? I'm under the impression accepts were emailed to successful applicants already. 

Radio silence here, PhDough! 

Hi guys, thought I would chime in with my results since I've been lurking this forum waiting to see if results had been released! 

I won a Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS with a score of 16.1/20. I had 2 multi-author pubs, 3 conferences. My Masters GPA was a 4.42/4.5, and I held a Masters SSHRC.

It's my second year applying. Last year, with a nearly identical application, I wound up with a terrible score. I'm definitely happy, but also blown away by how much of a crapshoot the process is. My only advice is reapply, reapply, reapply. Eventually, hopefully, your application will land in the right hands. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet!

26 minutes ago, PhDough said:

Still no letter here in metro Vancouver. Anyone from SFU receive letters or emails of waitlist/rejects? I'm under the impression accepts were emailed to successful applicants already. 

21 minutes ago, LakeGirl said:

Radio silence here, PhDough! 

Still no physical letter yet.

6 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I got 9.5/20 which is hilarious since I scored relatively well enough for the Vanier to be waitlisted.

SSHRC and all these agencies is literally a crapshoot and sometimes makes no logical sense. At least that's what people have been telling me to make me feel less bummed, lol!

Luck absolutely plays a big part in these things - Last year I was put forward by my school for the Trudeau Scholarship - my score from SSHRC though? 9.2/20!
This year I got the fellowship, and my score is 18.9/20. Absolutely ridiculous considering my proposal remained the same, but I added two conferences and a single journal article (which should absolutely not warrant over doubling my score.)

7 minutes ago, PhDough said:

Does anyone know what "recommended but not funded" really means? 

I think I remember this from when I was applying for my master's. I believe my supervisor described it as "your research was deemed meritorious, but due to the limits of funding, could not be ultimately funded" or something. I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, ButterTurtle said:

I think I remember this from when I was applying for my master's. I believe my supervisor described it as "your research was deemed meritorious, but due to the limits of funding, could not be ultimately funded" or something. I could be wrong.

Thanks! Sounds like I am joining the waitlist crowd, but I still don't have my letter or score. Does not bode well either way. 

Hi everyone, I’m in Toronto and got my letter today. My score says 17.9/20 but I’m wondering how we find out our ranking? I’ve seen others posting their ranking but don’t see that info anywhere so just curious. In the Vanier it said I was 22/186 so wondering if SSHRC gives that info somewhere?

Edited by msfinley

22 hours ago, RainDays said:

This year the letter stated that there were 2,048 applicants and roughly 840 spots. So chances are something like less than a quarter get a sshrc! 

840?!?!?

I applied for CIHR and this year there was 1,205 applications and only 154 spots! That's a 12.8% success rate! 

22 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I got 9.5/20 which is hilarious since I scored relatively well enough for the Vanier to be waitlisted.

SSHRC and all these agencies is literally a crapshoot and sometimes makes no logical sense. At least that's what people have been telling me to make me feel less bummed, lol!

@CrazyPugLady You're not alone in concluding it is a crapshoot and that it is not logical.

I scored in the top 1% for CIHR Doctoral but ranked >100 in Vanier. Research-Academic score for CIHR Doctoral from both reviewers was a perfect score (4.9/4.9). Research and academic score for Vanier were "not recommended" (<3.0) and "could be recommended" (3.0-6.0) respectively.

How does one get a PERFECT SCORE and "NOT RECOMMENDED" (lowest tier of scores) in the same agency in the same competition year with the same research proposal? And CIHR doctoral has half the space to flesh out your project so you are just throwing disjointed snippets at them compared to the Vanier. Sure, the weight for the sections are different, but you would think there would be at least some correlation.

A similar issue happened with the leadership and characteristics section!

Not sure what the fudges to make of it.

Got my letter in Saskatchewan today. 

Rejected with an embarrassingly low score. I was waitlisted last year with a much higher score and it was the same proposal. Added a few national conferences to the CV this year and was awarded a research fellowship by my university. Not sure what to think.

Excellent job to the rest of you for getting your funding!! Best of luck to those still waiting. 

Edited by ButterTurtle

Damn. Wait-listed with a score of 11.8. Two publications (one in a prestigious journal), two more accepted (again, with one in a prestigious journal), two conference presentations. Had a Masters SSHRC, but nada for doctoral. >4.0 GPA. Perhaps my application just didn't go well with the reviewers, but congrats to everyone that got one!

Awarded a Bombardier CGS with a score of 15.3/20. First time applying as an incoming doctoral student beginning in the fall of 2018. I have 1 publication (lead author), 6 conference presentations, 4 of which were international conferences. I Received a CGS-M in 2016 as a MSC student but as I have read that may have little impact on being awarded a CGS at the doctoral level. When I had originally applied I had no idea where or what doctoral program I would be attending and listed what at that time was my number 1. Is anyone familiar with the process by which I should be starting to activate or inform the school/program I will be starting at in the fall 2018?

And to all those waiting, it seems that everyone here is more than qualified to received one of these awards. I made it a priority to focus my application around the themes SSHRC had identified in 2017 as areas of interest and then relate them to my research interests. Everyone has other scholarships, we all have good grades, and solid letters of reference. The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to relate your "Program of Study" portion of the application back to that. Best of luck to everyone in their studies. PS is anyone taking a CGS of Doctoral Fellowship to Waterloo?

Edited by SocsciorDie