10 hours ago, SLP2018! said:

Is anyone still waiting for an email from McMasters? 

I received an email from them on Thursday March 1st which took me by surprise because they said offers would be sent out on March 2nd. I read through a lot of these forums from last year and people said they also received emails if they weren't offered an interview so I would call if you haven't heard anything yet!

Hey guys!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview at Mac and accepted at UofA! 

I am currently in my first year of the Western SLP program, but also got accepted at Mac last year so thought I'd give some advice about the MMI (the best I can without breaking the confidentiality agreement!) because I know it is super nerve wracking :) 

The best thing I did to prepare was practice answering example questions from online searches in the exact format the MMI was going to be in. So I would get a friend to wait in a room, give myself 2 minutes to review the question, and go in there and talk about it! Most of the questions are scenario based, so there isn't really a way to study for it other than practicing! Just be confident in the stand you take on the situation, and you will do great!

Good luck to everyone, and can't wait to meet some of you at Western next year! :) 

On 3/2/2018 at 8:34 PM, Kellua said:

That's awesome! Mine still says 'under review' and I don't see a letter. Did your application status change? I don't know if I'm being irrational but I'm nervous that my offer might be conditional, since I haven't graduated yet. 

Mine still says "Under Review" and "Decision: Pending" as well, so there's at least one other person still waiting with you. I finished my degree already so my acceptance wouldn't be conditional and I assume that if yours were conditional, it wouldn't affect the timing of your letter. I'm hoping it updates on Monday and everyone who hasn't had their official offer yet gets it. But I hear you; the longer it takes, the more nervous I get, especially when others have received their offers.

1 hour ago, SpeechHopeful'18 said:

I just received an email saying I did not get an interview. They listed some reasons it may have been but non applied to me. I checked my application and they received everything so just have to wait for April 3rd for Wester and McGill! Congrats to everyone who got an interview and good luck to you all:) 

I still have not gotten an email. I emailed them to see if I would be getting one, and it sent back an automatic response. Hoping to hear anything soon just to know for sure!

On 3/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, SLPhopeful17 said:

Hey guys!

Congrats to everyone who got an interview at Mac and accepted at UofA! 

I am currently in my first year of the Western SLP program, but also got accepted at Mac last year so thought I'd give some advice about the MMI (the best I can without breaking the confidentiality agreement!) because I know it is super nerve wracking :) 

The best thing I did to prepare was practice answering example questions from online searches in the exact format the MMI was going to be in. So I would get a friend to wait in a room, give myself 2 minutes to review the question, and go in there and talk about it! Most of the questions are scenario based, so there isn't really a way to study for it other than practicing! Just be confident in the stand you take on the situation, and you will do great!

Good luck to everyone, and can't wait to meet some of you at Western next year! :) 

I received an interview for McMasters on March 1st, and I was wondering if you were able to clarify what is meant by the written portion? Is it just 6 minutes writing an answer instead of speaking it out loud? 

To anyone still waiting on their official letters for UofA, I called Vicki this morning and she said not to worry about it and that it is still coming for those who got an email. She told me that very few have gone out so far and that different people are handling processing for successful applicants with names in different sections of the alphabet, so we shouldn't worry unless it doesn't come by the end of the month. They're also doing their year-end for the department so lots going on there.

hey everyone!

I thought I would share my experiences from applying to schools in 2017 & 2018! Just in case it could help anyone. I applied last year to McGill, Western, McMaster & U of T. I was still still finishing up pre-reqs when I applied. I did not get accepted to any of them, however, I did get invited to the interview at McMaster. It was a tedious and nerve-wracking process, but I am glad I went through it! I tried again this year, got the GRE done and am now in a few pre-reqs for U of A and UBC. I applied to Dal, U of A, UBC, and Western this time around. I just received my 'informal' acceptance letter from Dal this morning! So relieved! Still waiting to hear back from the rest. My U o A application still says pending!

Congrats to everyone who received acceptance letters! And good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!

Hey everyone! 

This is my second time applying at the UofA. I went in feeling awfully discouraged from being rejected last year but I took some online courses to boost my GPA as well as added another volunteer position to my resume. 

I really hope this is the year. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have been accepted! 

1 hour ago, arlie said:

Hi guys! I'm new to this thread, but I just got my conditional acceptance from U of A yesterday and I am dying to know who else is going?! Good luck to everyone! :)

Wow congrats! Would you be willing to share your stats with us?

Thanks @SLPhopeful1 !! Yes, I am happy to share my stats:

Grades: I graduated from UVic in 2016 with an 8.6 GPA (they use a really weird 9 point scale), which translates to 4.0 on normal scales 

Volunteer work: ~ 80 hours volunteering at a rehab hospital with SLPs and running an aphasia conversation group for out patients; ~ 60 hours in an elementary school with an SLP

Research:  RA for two projects at UBC 

I hope that helps! I am just so excited to make it, this has been a dream since my first year of school! I hope you hear back soon!! :) 

Edited by arlie

2 hours ago, alberta.slpa.to.slp said:

People who have gotten into Dal or U of A who are confortable sharing, what were your GRE scores like? Thanks! =) 

Verbal 161, Quant 151, Writing 4 

To the people who have made it into Dal: out of curiosity, did you say that you wanted to do a thesis when you applied? And would you mind sharing your stats with us? :) 

Thanks everyone for being so supportive! Even though this thread gives me a lot of anxiety about others getting in, it's also very comforting... I guess I have a love/hate relationship with it. Haha