Is it true that it takes FOUR WEEKS for CSDCAS to "process" applications?

I'm freaking out because I had a friend tell me that CSDCAS takes four weeks to "process" applications therefore you NEED to have all apps due 4 weeks BEFORE the deadline. I knew it was always smart to turn in applications early but I do not understand this. If this is true, why would they write the deadline as say for example, December 15, when in actuality this means it's all due November 15th? Also was does it mean that an application has to be "processed"? Does this also mean that when asking professors for LORs we should give them the 4 week prior deadline? I just need some clarification on what exactly is a deadline now...

I *think* that CSDCAS's average processing time is 2 weeks, but I would play it safe just in case! You can also submit your applications even before the letters of recommendations are submitted, so I think they can start being processed even if that part isn't totally done. It would be really unfair to make it be such a risky game when that part is out of your complete control! 

Somebody correct me if I am wrong though. 

From what I remember, it's the GPA and transcript verification process that takes so long, not the application. Get your transcripts and test scores sent early to programs that need it and DEFINITELY fill out your transcript stuff on the CSDCAS  and send in your transcript to them a month before your first deadline--they take a while to verify everything.

Adding on to this question, should we wait to send our transcripts until after we have received our grades for this fall semester? Also, if I took one class at a community college (not specifically regarding anything related to the programs I'm applying to) do I need to send transcripts for that school as well?

Edited by futureslp17

I agree with @Auuudriana. It's so important to get in the application materials in early such as the transcripts because they go through the verification process and that can take a long time when everyone is submitting their transcripts at the same time towards the end. Make sure to look under CDSCAS faqs to double check on the letters of recommendation question. They also answer all these other questions as well. I just made sure when I applied to get everything in on time to make sure.

Thanks everyone. I have another question, does anyone recommend paying for the transcript input service? Anyone who did it manually, can you let me know how that was?

Also when it comes to entering transcript, can I go ahead and enter all my transcript info I have so far then when my fall 2018 (current) semester grades come in, go back in and enter those?

43 minutes ago, futureSLPhopefullylol said:

Thanks everyone. I have another question, does anyone recommend paying for the transcript input service? Anyone who did it manually, can you let me know how that was?

Also when it comes to entering transcript, can I go ahead and enter all my transcript info I have so far then when my fall 2018 (current) semester grades come in, go back in and enter those?

I am entering everything in right now, and it takes about an hour or so. To me, it was not at all worth it to pay them to do it. 

You do not need to tell people writing your letters that they need to submit before the actual deadline. The verification process only takes so long because of transcripts. As long as LOR people send their letter by the Dec 15th deadline, for example, it is fine!

Also, FYI--not all schools required "verification" by the deadline. Just completion. Check websites to confirm. 

7 hours ago, futureslp17 said:

Adding on to this question, should we wait to send our transcripts until after we have received our grades for this fall semester? Also, if I took one class at a community college (not specifically regarding anything related to the programs I'm applying to) do I need to send transcripts for that school as well?

No, you don't need to wait! In fact, it is probably going to be too late if you do that. You can do what is called an "academic update" after you submit CSDCAS and add in those classes. Also, I definitely would send transcripts for that college because schools tend to emphasize wanting ALL transcripts. 

34 minutes ago, Felice said:

I am entering everything in right now, and it takes about an hour or so. To me, it was not at all worth it to pay them to do it. 

I agree with this! It did not take long at all. I recommend requesting your own official transcripts to model after. It was really worth the $8 or so for me. 

Just so I'm clear on this as well, does the verification include the documents needed to be uploaded? (i.e., essays for schools). I sent my transcripts to csdcas about a month ago so I'm hoping they should be verified by now. After seeing 2 posts about this question I'm worried I should work a little faster on these essays, my goal was to have everything done by December 1 but now I'm wondering if I need to move that up or not. 

1 hour ago, hopefulslp1 said:

Just so I'm clear on this as well, does the verification include the documents needed to be uploaded? (i.e., essays for schools). I sent my transcripts to csdcas about a month ago so I'm hoping they should be verified by now. After seeing 2 posts about this question I'm worried I should work a little faster on these essays, my goal was to have everything done by December 1 but now I'm wondering if I need to move that up or not. 

You have to submit your application for it to begin verifying transcripts. The earlier, the better.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:29 AM, Auuudriana said:

The earlier you can submit the better. I think it only took them like a week to verify mine because I didn't wait until the last minute when they got backlogged with thousands of applications.

Do you remember what date/time of what month you sent in your first application for it to only take a week for verification?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys-- I wouldn't recommend the professional transcript entry. You have to wait on them to input all of the information, and they make mistake that you have to look out for (which can take a day or two to correct). I paid for it and regret it because I've been waiting so long to hear back on them in regards to the professional transcript entry and I could have used that time be verified (if I did it myself).

I was careful about making sure that all of my documents were there on time, but the professional transcript entry has caused more anxiety than relief haha. I should be okay-- but I just want this over and done with! Set aside an hour and get it done yourselves :) 

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone around this time is worried about verification. I submitted my transcripts and official gre a few months before my first deadline of 1/1. I submitted my first app ON 1/1 because it was an orange "complete" deadline. I submitted at 9pm and it said "received" then at 11:25pm it said "complete". This morning, 1/4 CSDCAS verified my application. Perhaps it helped that while I was inputting my coursework, I circled all my questions on the official (3) transcripts I was using, then called CSDCAS and had someone pull up my transcript on their side, and asked them very specific questions (for some questions I even called a couple of times to confirm information, CSDCAS has been on speed dial for months). So definitely not 4 weeks for me, and even less than 4 days. DON'T BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME AND SUBMIT THINGS LATE (but also if you are, maybe things won't go terribly, irreversibly wrong?) Just thought I'd offer my experience in the ongoing survey of CSDCAS turnover time.

Hi guys, just wanted to give you my personal experience and hopefully that will help relieve some anxiety. When the apps first opened I manually input my transcript info. Then I had GRE scores sent and LOR (last month). I submitted one application on 12/29 and it was verified within a couple of hours. Hope this helps! Good luck everyone :) 

It depends on when you submit your application. There is a time when they receive several apps at once, it may take about 4 weeks during that time. The earlier you send your apps the better.