Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

2 hours ago, CanadaArrive said:

Is it not a strange system to only send out interview invites but not rejections?  Does this mean I might be waitlisted or are they just very late sending rejections usually?

Usually there's the first batch of rejections for people who don't qualify, then there's rolling acceptances. For the most part waitlisted is typically for people who have interviewed and mass rejections will be closer to mid-end of March.

2 hours ago, CanadaArrive said:

But thank you both for your help.  Should I assume rejection or would it help people if I chased them up?

Most of the time it comes across more negative if you contact POIs in the in between stage, unfortunately at this point it's probably best to just wait it out (which I know is excruciating!)

18 minutes ago, Jay's Brain said:

Those still waiting for York Clinical - still possible to hear back from your POIs about the Feb 16th Open House. Most Adult clinical faculty only started reviewing last week ish, and are sending details about who they are inviting this week.

Ty jays brain 4 keeping the hope alive as always :’( 

11 minutes ago, ContentFaces said:

Usually there's the first batch of rejections for people who don't qualify, then there's rolling acceptances. For the most part waitlisted is typically for people who have interviewed and mass rejections will be closer to mid-end of March.

Thank you for all of your insight.  Very helpful and de-stressing!

13 hours ago, Jay's Brain said:

Those still waiting for York Clinical - still possible to hear back from your POIs about the Feb 16th Open House. Most Adult clinical faculty only started reviewing last week ish, and are sending details about who they are inviting this week.

Thanks Jay's Brain for all your tips. I got a rejection  yesterday :-(  was contemplating if to reach out for tips on what could have made me a stronger applicant but the POI never got back even during the application so I am guessing will probably not

3 hours ago, Regina77 said:

Thanks Jay's Brain for all your tips. I got a rejection  yesterday :-(  was contemplating if to reach out for tips on what could have made me a stronger applicant but the POI never got back even during the application so I am guessing will probably not

Tough luck @Regina77 hope all your other applications go better!

4 hours ago, Regina77 said:

It's worth a shot, but if I'm being honest, the whole application process is very random. Departmental politics do play a sizeable role as to who is accepted and who isn't. You could be the most qualified candidate in your application pool, but in some departments, if the powers to be determine that your POI isn't a priority to take students that year, you're not getting in. It's sucky. I have a friend who's POI at one school wanted to accept her to the clinical program, but the POI wasn't a priority to take clinical students that year, and the department wouldn't accept her to the clinical program (she ended up in the experimental program). 

If you want to improve your applications, it's worth a lot re-examining your statements of purpose, making sure they're clear and are an accurate representation of your experience, how that plays into the research you want to do in grad school, and how that all ties into the POI. Get someone to look over it for clarity and readability. Research experience also helps; try to get as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

It's worth a shot, but if I'm being honest, the whole application process is very random. Departmental politics do play a sizeable role as to who is accepted and who isn't. You could be the most qualified candidate in your application pool, but in some departments, if the powers to be determine that your POI isn't a priority to take students that year, you're not getting in. It's sucky. I have a friend who's POI at one school wanted to accept her to the clinical program, but the POI wasn't a priority to take clinical students that year, and the department wouldn't accept her to the clinical program (she ended up in the experimental program). 

If you want to improve your applications, it's worth a lot re-examining your statements of purpose, making sure they're clear and are an accurate representation of your experience, how that plays into the research you want to do in grad school, and how that all ties into the POI. Get someone to look over it for clarity and readability. Research experience also helps; try to get as much as possible. 

I very much agree @FacelessMage. Unfortunately there is a lot of luck on the part of the applicants. I have heard a faculty member say that an applicant may be in the top 10% , but if his or her research fit isn't compatible with the faculty members taking students, then it becomes very hard for that student to be taken. Best advice is to make sure you know the area of research for the faculty members at the institution well, try to find out if those POIs are taking students, and making sure your application reflects the research the POI conducts. 

6 hours ago, Regina77 said:

Hey,

I was checking the website and it still says "no decision yet" - I am getting ansi as I applied to the child one and I haven't heard back yet :(. I know it could be a good thing but the open house is less than 10 days away and I almost just need to know now if it is a rejection so I can move on.

3 minutes ago, Sephix said:

Hey,

I was checking the website and it still says "no decision yet" - I am getting ansi as I applied to the child one and I haven't heard back yet :(. I know it could be a good thing but the open house is less than 10 days away and I almost just need to know now if it is a rejection so I can move on.

emailing the grad secretary is not the worst thing in the world but i would hold out until the end of the wk if possible though just b/c it's more likely a decision will have been made. in the same boat though, i feel ya. super crappy feeling.

4 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

emailing the grad secretary is not the worst thing in the world but i would hold out until the end of the wk if possible though just b/c it's more likely a decision will have been made. in the same boat though, i feel ya. super crappy feeling.

Hey P,

Yeah that is fair - I will sit tight and here's hoping (fingers crossed) they decide to give us one. I would hate to be on the waitlist for 2nd round of interviews even though it is "supposed" to be a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Sephix said:

Hey,

I feel you. Mine says no decision as well 

also not sure if this hurts or helps lol (hopefully the latter) - but last year in this thread, someone got an interview at York in early March and then was accepted shortly thereafter so, anything can happen i guess.

but definitely email the grad secretary at some point (i.e. after the open house for ex) b/c you could be waiting a long time otherwise. last year, Ryerson emailed me a rejection in May :|

Edited by prospectclin

6 hours ago, Jay's Brain said:

I very much agree @FacelessMage. Unfortunately there is a lot of luck on the part of the applicants. I have heard a faculty member say that an applicant may be in the top 10% , but if his or her research fit isn't compatible with the faculty members taking students, then it becomes very hard for that student to be taken. Best advice is to make sure you know the area of research for the faculty members at the institution well, try to find out if those POIs are taking students, and making sure your application reflects the research the POI conducts. 

I agree. I have sat on selection committees myself so I know the process is very subjective. Good luck everyone 

3 hours ago, CanadaArrive said:

Someone finally heard from Queen's by the looks of it

Hmm, what I am trying to figure out is whether they are wait-listed for a spot or wait-listed for an interview? Queens needs a better system *sigh

17 minutes ago, Sephix said:

Hmm, what I am trying to figure out is whether they are wait-listed for a spot or wait-listed for an interview? Queens needs a better system *sigh

Yeah, same! Think I had given up on Queen's anyway, as well as Calgary, Ryerson and Guelph.  Looks like UNB is out the window too.  

No one seems to know about Western so I'm just waiting to hear the result of my interview with Windsor and then from Acadia and Memorial who are both later.

does anyone know how schools issue rejections? if your app is still being considered by a university and other applicants have heard back and been rejected, what are your chances? like, how many applications do universities keep on standby while they conduct first-round interviews?

1 hour ago, CanadaArrive said:

Yeah, same! Think I had given up on Queen's anyway, as well as Calgary, Ryerson and Guelph.  Looks like UNB is out the window too.  

No one seems to know about Western so I'm just waiting to hear the result of my interview with Windsor and then from Acadia and Memorial who are both later.

I believe Western’s interview day is this week so I expect all invites are out. I also know of at least one person with an interview at Memorial.

15 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I believe Western’s interview day is this week so I expect all invites are out. I also know of at least one person with an interview at Memorial.

Thanks for the info.  Regarding MUN, I'm guessing it's for the PsyD? If so, that's not the programme I applied to.  I applied to the MSc in Experimental.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:15 PM, AlbertaUndergrad said:

I'm wondering if anyone knows about general timelines for school and clinical at U of Alberta or school and applied at U of Calgary? I have heard they don't have formal interview processes? Thanks!

I have an informal Skype interview tomorrow at U of Calgary in school and applied child psyc with my POI.