Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

6 hours ago, prospectclin said:

does anyone know how schools issue rejections? if your app is still being considered by a university and other applicants have heard back and been rejected, what are your chances? like, how many applications do universities keep on standby while they conduct first-round interviews?

Definitely depends on the school. Some indicate a formal rejection, but usually it happens a bit down the road. Have you tried to connect with your POIs to see where they currently are in their decision-making process?

2 hours ago, Plunk said:

Anyone know when Concordia's departmental meeting is to discuss grad applicants or when they typically send out acceptances? 

Concordia is going to meet and send out acceptances in March. Still have a while to wait :unsure:

2 hours ago, Plunk said:

Anyone know when Concordia's departmental meeting is to discuss grad applicants or when they typically send out acceptances? 

According to a friend there, the meeting was last week of February/first week of March last year. You’ll likely hear back by early March.

30 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

According to a friend there, the meeting was last week of February/first week of March last year. You’ll likely hear back by early March.

That is hugely comforting.  I've been wondering about that program and if anyone had heard from them.

21 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

That is hugely comforting.  I've been wondering about that program and if anyone had heard from them.

Yeah, it’s hard to know what’s going on there since the interviews are done individually. It seems like some faculty don’t even interview applicants until very shortly before the committee meeting, so don’t lose hope yet! 

2 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Perfect...I had kind of caught wind of a similar thing but wanted to double check! Thanks!

2 hours ago, Desperate Clinical said:

Is not getting invited to the open house a bad sign?

I was contacted by a faculty member to come and talk about research interests but it is much after the open house. Should I be worried?

I think if you get invited to talk about research interests that's a really good thing, even if you weren't invited initially

On 05/02/2018 at 6:27 PM, prospectclin said:

Ty jays brain 4 keeping the hope alive as always :’( 

To keep the hope more alive, if you dont receive an invite it doesnt mean you wont get in! I didnt get an invite to the open house last year, but was given an interview mid-march, and was accepted at the end of March.

Edited by BeezKnees

1 hour ago, BeezKnees said:

To keep the hope more alive, if you dont receive an invite it doesnt mean you wont get in! I didnt get an invite to the open house last year, but was given an interview mid-march, and was accepted at the end of March.

you are an inspiration to us all lol. really. love that you and @jay’s brain are here to remind us that there’s light at the end of the very long tunnel haha

1 hour ago, BeezKnees said:

You rock!! B) I totally feel better about that now.

48 minutes ago, Desperate Clinical said:

Another question: isn't U of T Scarborough NOT accredited? is it a good idea to go there if accepted? i don't really know how going to a non- CPA accredited university will affect licensure. same with McMaster clinical program..

It’s not accredited. Taken from the CPA website:

”Although graduation from an accredited doctoral programme is not a requirement for registration as a psychologist or always a requirement of employers, it can be an advantage. Applicants for registration or licensure who have graduated from accredited programmes often receive ‘fast-track’ credential reviews by regulatory bodies. Furthermore, accredited programmes are encouraged to hire faculty and staff who themselves have graduated from either a CPA- or APA-accredited programme.”

2 hours ago, prospectclin said:

you are an inspiration to us all lol. really. love that you and @jay’s brain are here to remind us that there’s light at the end of the very long tunnel haha

Its a horrible tunnel to be stuck in, haha. It took me 4 rounds of applications (56 applications in total) before I got in, so I remember the trauma of application season all too well, lol.

If you (or anyone else( ever have any questions about York, feel free to ask me!

7 minutes ago, BeezKnees said:

Its a horrible tunnel to be stuck in, haha. It took me 4 rounds of applications (56 applications in total) before I got in, so I remember the trauma of application season all too well, lol.

If you (or anyone else( ever have any questions about York, feel free to ask me!

You are such an inspiration!  Thank you for coming back to TGC. :)

4 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

It’s not accredited. Taken from the CPA website:

”Although graduation from an accredited doctoral programme is not a requirement for registration as a psychologist or always a requirement of employers, it can be an advantage. Applicants for registration or licensure who have graduated from accredited programmes often receive ‘fast-track’ credential reviews by regulatory bodies. Furthermore, accredited programmes are encouraged to hire faculty and staff who themselves have graduated from either a CPA- or APA-accredited programme.”

I think as someone said before, it’s likely to become accredited sooner or later, so it shouldn’t be an issue. Not sure what the timeline is for that, though. 

4 hours ago, punkwich said:

Looks like someone got a rejection from UNB...good sign that I haven't received anything? Do they do second round interviews/offers if first offers are rejected?

They only do one round unfortunately. From what I gather, they did interviews in the last week and a half of January, and sent out offers this past Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, FacelessMage said:

They only do one round unfortunately. From what I gather, they did interviews in the last week and a half of January, and sent out offers this past Tuesday. 

ahh, oh well! I await my rejection email then