Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

Hi all! So... this is my fourth time applying to Universities all across Canada. I completed my Master's degree at Western University to try to upgrade my CV in the meantime, but I am already quickly losing faith. Anyways, I am wondering about UBC-Okanagan. Is it confirmed that this school has already sent out all interviews/rejection is pretty certain if we haven't heard back yet?

12 minutes ago, Regina77 said:

Hi Everyone,

Glad to have found this group!!!

Anyone Applied to York and Ryerson for Clinical? Do these have interviews/ open house date? Waiting on both nothing yet:-(

Apparently the York clinical open house is Feb 16th but as far as I know, no one in this thread has heard from York adult clinical 

51 minutes ago, prospectclin said:

Apparently the York clinical open house is Feb 16th but as far as I know, no one in this thread has heard from York adult clinical 

I've lurked these pages for a couple of years, and it seems like a lot of the results on GradCafe tend to come from prospective students in the CD area. Perhaps they are more energized!

48 minutes ago, Regina77 said:

Ah thank you so much for confirming that. York is my first choice!  Do you know if the also interview in addition to open house? I will save the date - and hope!

The Open House is indeed on Feb 16th. There will be informational sessions related to York's psychology programs (razzle dazzle of why the program is strong and competitive), and then students usually breakout to pre-arranged meetings with faculty members and graduate students. When you hear back from your prospective PI, they should be able to let you know what to expect and whether he or she wants to meet with you that day. 

Oh also - Have an interview with Windsor Child Clinical this monday. Have also applied to: Guelph, McGill, UBC-Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, Queens, Waterloo, Dalhousie, SFU (rejected), Victoria, and New Brunswick. I have only heard from Windsor so if anybody knows whether this means im out of the running for all others, please reply. The suspense is killing me!

21 minutes ago, Psych.kitty said:

Oh also - Have an interview with Windsor Child Clinical this monday. Have also applied to: Guelph, McGill, UBC-Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, Queens, Waterloo, Dalhousie, SFU (rejected), Victoria, and New Brunswick. I have only heard from Windsor so if anybody knows whether this means im out of the running for all others, please reply. The suspense is killing me!

I think New Brunswick has started to wrap up their interviews already and should be making decisions soon.

UVic has sent out all the first round invites. They sometimes send out more invites later if they haven't filled all their spots, but it's unlikely. I got an interview invite from Guelph yesterday and it sounded like they were sending out all the invites at once. Hope that helps!

Edited by carolynh

57 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

I think New Brunswick has started to wrap up their interviews already and should be making decisions soon.

54 minutes ago, carolynh said:

UVic has sent out all the first round invites. They sometimes send out more invites later if they haven't filled all their spots, but it's unlikely. I got an interview invite from Guelph yesterday and it sounded like they were sending out all the invites at once. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the info! disheartening for me :( but good luck on the Guelph interview!

9 hours ago, FacelessMage said:

My understanding is that Guelph, UBC (O and Vancouver) and Dalhousie have sent out all of their interview invites at this point.

11 hours ago, Jay's Brain said:

I've lurked these pages for a couple of years, and it seems like a lot of the results on GradCafe tend to come from prospective students in the CD area. Perhaps they are more energized!

The Open House is indeed on Feb 16th. There will be informational sessions related to York's psychology programs (razzle dazzle of why the program is strong and competitive), and then students usually breakout to pre-arranged meetings with faculty members and graduate students. When you hear back from your prospective PI, they should be able to let you know what to expect and whether he or she wants to meet with you that day. 

Thanks Jay’s Brain! Always very helpful! 

Hey All,

It sucks that I didn't get invites from NB, UVIC, UBC-O, Guelph but, I am still holding out for Ryerson, Queens and York. I heard back from Windsor and SFU so far.

Please let me know if anyone has heard ANYTHING from Queens...

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sephix said:

Hey All,

It sucks that I didn't get invites from NB, UVIC, UBC-O, Guelph but, I am still holding out for Ryerson, Queens and York. I heard back from Windsor and SFU so far.

Please let me know if anyone has heard ANYTHING from Queens...

Thanks

dang good luck! ditto on the queens. waiting on them too

23 hours ago, Jay's Brain said:

Thanks Jay's Brain. Do you know if after the York open house are there other formal/separate interviews or do they typically start sending offers after the open house? What tips can you offer if invited to the open house? Is it more information for attendees or are they also evaluating prospective students? If your POI asks to meet is it a super formal/panel interview? Thanks again

6 minutes ago, Kristenkatie said:

Sorry to hear that. :(  Keep your hopes up though! 

Also not to pry, but I was wondering if your email was from the program or your POI. 

It was a generic email from the department, my POIs never contacted me back so I didn't really expect anything to come out of it lol

On 1/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, Neposydko said:

If any of you would like to know the POI's included in those who sent out interviews for the 25th-26th, PM me. I don't know exactly which of them are planning to take new students for next year, but I know who's part of the clinical group and would be interviewing on those days.

Could you PM me?! @Neposydko Thanks!

For those of you inquiring about York, I received an invite to attend the Open House on Feb 16th to interview for the Clinical Developmental program. The email was sent by the POI last week. 

I also had a pre-interview via Skype with a POI at UVic back in early December, but haven't heard back from her since. I presume I didn't make her cut for a formal interview since they are next week. But, I was informed that I continue to be on a backup list for a possible second round of interviews. I am scheduling a meeting with my top-choice POI (who is not clinical faculty) for the end of next week when he knows if there are any remaining slots that are still open for interviews. He informed me that he is not hopeful he will be able to take a student (since the clinical faculty are given priority), but that if he is, I am one of his top two choices. Fingers crossed! 

Also applied to Concordia, but haven't heard a peep from them. I emailed the program coordinator, Kim Breux, and asked if all interview offers had already been sent, but she said that each faculty member will select students differently. My first choice POI informed me she is unable to take a student, but other faculty are still reviewing applications. This was 5 days ago. I am not sure if they have a deadline or how their interview process works, but if anyone else has heard from them, please message me! Thanks :)

Edited by Steph93

19 hours ago, Regina77 said:

Thanks Jay's Brain. Do you know if after the York open house are there other formal/separate interviews or do they typically start sending offers after the open house? What tips can you offer if invited to the open house? Is it more information for attendees or are they also evaluating prospective students? If your POI asks to meet is it a super formal/panel interview? Thanks again

During the Open House, you may end up meeting the Director of Clinical Training in your area (C or CD), and some other faculty members. If you haven't spoke to or met your POI yet, you will on that day. You may also meet some of the grad students in the program or in your prospective labs. The atmosphere is quite warm and welcoming, as it is meant to showcase the program and the perks about being a graduate student at York. Generally, I haven't heard any students complain or leave feeling anxious after the Open House as the meetings are quite positive. It often bumps up York on their list of schools too ;)