Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

37 minutes ago, FluffyPancakes said:

Could the person that heard from UBCO let me know if it was an interview with your PI or an official interview weekend invite by the school? Just wondering if official invites are already out. 

Official invites are going out for UBCO.

2 minutes ago, CWyers said:

We likely won’t hear until end of January. I spoke with the Director of Clinical Training and she mentioned they typically go out around then

Thank you!! Super helpful, was starting to worry. :unsure:

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well! Second round of applications this year and it's not looking good already :(

I've seen on the admission page that people received Interview invites to Concordia for the 25-26th of January. If you're like me and didn't receive anything, I'd assume rejection...pretty bummed out that this is happening twice in a row for me tbh

I've applied to Concordia, McGill clinical, UBC, Western so far, and I haven't heard anything from anyone :( anyone in the same boat? Also applying to psychiatry at McGill and to french schools in Montreal. Considering giving up and going into another field despite all the efforts...Very tough to be an international applicant :( 

44 minutes ago, Psy_duckling said:

Hi, I'm new to this forum as well! Second round of applications this year and it's not looking good already :(

I've seen on the admission page that people received Interview invites to Concordia for the 25-26th of January. If you're like me and didn't receive anything, I'd assume rejection...pretty bummed out that this is happening twice in a row for me tbh

I've applied to Concordia, McGill clinical, UBC, Western so far, and I haven't heard anything from anyone :( anyone in the same boat? Also applying to psychiatry at McGill and to french schools in Montreal. Considering giving up and going into another field despite all the efforts...Very tough to be an international applicant :( 

Re: Concordia, someone in this thread said that the Concordia invites were for the clinical health program or something like that and that developmental and some other department send out their invites later. 

As a former international applicant, I understand completely.  I found out after I got here that due to funding, no matter how stellar you are as international applicant, it's hard to overcome the fact that the school basically has to pay twice as much for a proper funding package for an international student as for a domestic one.  Any chances you can immigrate to Canada first?

50 minutes ago, Psy_duckling said:

If it helps, Western’s interview day is in February and I would be very surprised if they had already send out invites since they have a later application deadline. I would expect to hear back closer to February if you’re invited to interview.

Also, I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I believe the Concordia interview days are just for a small number of faculty members (5-6?), and everyone else conducts their interviews throughout February. 

Finally, I believe McGill tends to be later as well. 

I know it’s hard, but don’t give up yet :) 

10 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

Re: Concordia, someone in this thread said that the Concordia invites were for the clinical health program or something like that and that developmental and some other department send out their invites later. 

As a former international applicant, I understand completely.  I found out after I got here that due to funding, no matter how stellar you are as international applicant, it's hard to overcome the fact that the school basically has to pay twice as much for a proper funding package for an international student as for a domestic one.  Any chances you can immigrate to Canada first?

Yeah that's my plan for next year if I can't get anything this time around... I'm just afraid of taking a year off but I guess I will have to. Still hoping to get into the french clinical programs in town because it seems funding isn't as much of an issue but we'll see :) Congrats on getting in ! 

I hope there's still hope for Concordia then! We shall see

18 minutes ago, PsycUndergrad said:

If it helps, Western’s interview day is in February and I would be very surprised if they had already send out invites since they have a later application deadline. I would expect to hear back closer to February if you’re invited to interview.

Also, I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I believe the Concordia interview days are just for a small number of faculty members (5-6?), and everyone else conducts their interviews throughout February. 

Finally, I believe McGill tends to be later as well. 

I know it’s hard, but don’t give up yet :) 

Thanks! 

Hopefully something comes up soon, but you're right, it's still very early :) 

20 minutes ago, Psy_duckling said:

Yeah that's my plan for next year if I can't get anything this time around... I'm just afraid of taking a year off but I guess I will have to. Still hoping to get into the french clinical programs in town because it seems funding isn't as much of an issue but we'll see :) Congrats on getting in ! 

I'm applying for PhD programs this time around :)  Best of luck to you!  

58 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

49 minutes ago, Psy_duckling said:

If any of you would like to know the POI's included in those who sent out interviews for the 25th-26th, PM me. I don't know exactly which of them are planning to take new students for next year, but I know who's part of the clinical group and would be interviewing on those days.

1 hour ago, Neposydko said:

If any of you would like to know the POI's included in those who sent out interviews for the 25th-26th, PM me. I don't know exactly which of them are planning to take new students for next year, but I know who's part of the clinical group and would be interviewing on those days.

Could you please PM me the POIs?? Thanks!! 

1 hour ago, Neposydko said:

Could you please PM me as well? Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Just a question for previous or current applicants: What do you think about the PsyD degree? Universite de Montreal is my top choice right now because they offer that degree and it is accredited (but in french only), but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go for a PsyD instead of PhD in terms of career prospects etc. Is anyone pursuing a PsyD here by any chance? 

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place

16 minutes ago, Psy_duckling said:

Hey everyone,

Just a question for previous or current applicants: What do you think about the PsyD degree? Universite de Montreal is my top choice right now because they offer that degree and it is accredited (but in french only), but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go for a PsyD instead of PhD in terms of career prospects etc. Is anyone pursuing a PsyD here by any chance? 

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place

I work at a Psychology Centre and two of our clinicians have Psy.Ds.  They are from the states and Austrailia, so I’m not sure about the Canadian programs, BUT they are awesome alternatives.  They focus less on research and more on clinical work, and are actually shorter. The only thing I would suggest is making sure that all of the requirement meet what you need to register with the appropriate college :)