Fall 2018 CANADIAN clinical psychology

ContentFaces

2 hours ago, Sephix said:

Hey All,

Would it be appropriate to contact schools and ask about the status of your application?

I would like to just contact my POIs and the school and know if I am rejected instead of waiting for that god-awful email.

Please advise

I contacted the POIs from schools I had not heard from.  It was a very positive experience.  Mostly, they gave me feedback as to why I was not being selected and possible improvements I could make for next year (if I reapply).  One gave me very detailed review of my application and general advice for both applications and scholarships.

Last year, after interviews, I also contacted a POI.  She let me know that I was on a short list, but that offers had gone out. 

For the most part, I think professors understand how important and stressful this experience is and don't mind an inquiry or two (at least in my limited experience). 

41 minutes ago, FluffyPancakes said:

I contacted the POIs from schools I had not heard from.  It was a very positive experience.  Mostly, they gave me feedback as to why I was not being selected and possible improvements I could make for next year (if I reapply).  One gave me very detailed review of my application and general advice for both applications and scholarships.

Last year, after interviews, I also contacted a POI.  She let me know that I was on a short list, but that offers had gone out. 

For the most part, I think professors understand how important and stressful this experience is and don't mind an inquiry or two (at least in my limited experience). 

Yes absolutely no harm in doing this after rejections are confirmed. I'll probably do this too to get some insight. 

8 hours ago, WadaTest said:

Hi everyone --- I was invited to interview at UVic next week. In addition to the interview with my PI, I have what they call clinical interviews scheduled. Does anyone know what I can expect from the clinical interviews. Thanks! 

Did you just receive an invitation today?  Who is your POI - can you DM me? Thanks! :)

3 hours ago, FluffyPancakes said:

oh wow that sounds really helpful! did you contact POIs after receiving rejection e-mails, then? There are a few schools I expect a rejection from (based on other posts), but have not received formal e-mail yet. 

10 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

oh wow that sounds really helpful! did you contact POIs after receiving rejection e-mails, then? There are a few schools I expect a rejection from (based on other posts), but have not received formal e-mail yet. 

Actually, I had not received my formal  rejection notices when I e-mailed. 

I knew I was not likely getting in because I didn't receive an interview invite on the first one and the second one I had no idea if I was still under consideration after my interview(they gave us a time frame for when we would receive our acceptance or rejection notice and it had passed by over a week).

I crafted a short, polite inquiry email and did not follow up if they didn't answer (almost everyone did).

All emails were to POIs I had previously engaged with.

13 hours ago, Anne said:

Yes absolutely no harm in doing this after rejections are confirmed. I'll probably do this too to get some insight. 

I agree.  I think emails after the fact can show a strong desire to improve and may even benefit you the next application cycle, if you follow through.

I personally contacted my POIs before my rejections, but there is potential harm that could have been done. I really weighed the pros and cons before I emailed, and knew I was okay with all scenarios before I sent my inquiries.

In fact, it is likely the professors that responded felt the inquiry showed a strong interest in their work and the program, where the ones that did not may have felt my email was impatient or bothersome.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I have received an interview with Queen's and McMaster's University for Clinical Psychology with research areas relating to memory formation. I was wondering if you guys any recommendations for interviewing tips at the Open House (Mac's open house is next Friday).

Also, has anyone heard from York for Clinical Neuropsychology?

Thanks!

Brainmatter

Has anyone heard anything at all from York for the adult clinical program? I'm starting to get anxious since their open house is on the 16th, but it doesn't seem like anyone has heard from them?

7 hours ago, butt0n said:

Has anyone heard anything at all from York for the adult clinical program? I'm starting to get anxious since their open house is on the 16th, but it doesn't seem like anyone has heard from them?

I haven't heard anything from York. I did contact the Director of Clinical Training (Dr. Jill Rich) and she was kind enough to notify me that "at least 3 faculty members have indicated the students they are inviting to the Open House." This e-mail came in on February 2. 

23 hours ago, butt0n said:

I haven't heard anything. It seems they sent out a wave of rejections, but I haven't seen any interviews yet.

Wondering if anyone in the know could help me... I have applied to 9 different universities and have had one interview.  Does anyone know what's happening with the rest of them -

University of Calgary

Ryerson University

University of Western Ontario

Queen's University

University of Guelph

University of New Brunswick

I have also applied to Acadia and Memorial but know they are much later.

20 minutes ago, CanadaArrive said:

Wondering if anyone in the know could help me... I have applied to 9 different universities and have had one interview.  Does anyone know what's happening with the rest of them -

University of Calgary

Ryerson University

Queen's University

University of Guelph

I know that Calgary sends out their invite earlier in January.  I'm assuming rejection since I haven't heard anything.  Not sure about the rest for clinical, although I have seen some of them popping up in discussion (like Ryerson)

13 minutes ago, Piagetsky said:

I know that Calgary sends out their invite earlier in January.  I'm assuming rejection since I haven't heard anything.  Not sure about the rest for clinical, although I have seen some of them popping up in discussion (like Ryerson)

I thought the same.  Don't know when to expect rejection emails though so might try getting confirmation by emailing soon.  

1 hour ago, CanadaArrive said:

University of Calgary

Ryerson University

Queen's University

University of Guelph

Guelph and Ryerson have already sent out interview invites I believe

1 hour ago, CanadaArrive said:

University of Calgary

Ryerson University

Queen's University

University of Guelph

UNB will likely send out acceptances/rejections this week. 

Edited by FacelessMage

Those still waiting for York Clinical - still possible to hear back from your POIs about the Feb 16th Open House. Most Adult clinical faculty only started reviewing last week ish, and are sending details about who they are inviting this week.