Fall 2018 Cycle

ahmed.samy

2 hours ago, rwoodward said:

Ok thank you! 

It's strange as I have not heard of anyone hearing back for Organic Chemistry. But perhaps those people are keeping quiet...

Same here I'm applying to organic master. No responses yet. 

On 2018/1/11 at 9:38 AM, matchem95 said:

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread for a while now and thought I'd share my results as well!

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts college
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.98
Position in Class: not sure, but definitely at the top
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?) domestic female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 165
V: 161
W: 5.0
S: 780 (73%)

Research Experience: 3.5 years of materials research including 2 summers at home institution, 1 NSF REU at UPenn, and part-time work during semesters. Have presented at multiple ACS meetings and have a 1st author paper submitted to top materials journal.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?) numerous school departmental awards and research fellowships, Goldwater honorable mention, Phi Beta Kappa, Outstanding Presentation Award at GCURS

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...) chemistry tutor and TA for 5 semesters

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: My research interests are very closely related to my previous work.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I know at least one of my LOR will be stellar.

Applying to Where: all for materials chemistry/closely related disciplines

UC Berkeley, Harvard, Caltech, MIT, Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia, UCLA, U of Michigan, Georgia Tech, UCSB, U of Washington

So far I've been accepted to Caltech, Northwestern, UCLA, Michigan, UCSB, and Washington! I'm a bit worried about Berkeley at the moment since I've seen so many acceptances posted....

Ummmmmm...why is WUSTL a terrible choice? because of the location...?

I actually got an interview invitation yesterday from WUSTL...

14 minutes ago, ninah said:

Ummmmmm...why is WUSTL a terrible choice? because of the location...?

I actually got an interview invitation yesterday from WUSTL...

Yes...  I grew up in the heartland, St. Louis is dismal.  Anyways, go to the interview, you might like it.  I've got a few high school friends who ended up at WUSTL and didn't find it so bad.

Something about trash being someone's treasure.

44 minutes ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

Radio silence from Yale... I'm gonna call it a Rejection

Agreed, I think last year or the year before some acceptances trickled in on grad cafe right before rejections were sent Feb 6/7 which may occur but probably won't. 

3 hours ago, NervousChemApplicant said:

Radio silence from Yale... I'm gonna call it a Rejection

Based on last years results we should expect a rejection next week.

Edited by ChemDude

I'm not really sure why a lot of people are giving up hope. It's the beginning of February. Many people I've talked to have received acceptances in February. If the results page was anything to go off of then that would mean only like 10 people got into Yale this year, 8 to Harvard, etc etc. The results page is extremely biased. Most people don't even know this website exists. Yale acceptances are probably still coming out I would imagine and I'm assuming most schools are still making acceptances. I don't trust the results page and I don't really trust a lot of the information on this thread. Someone said that uchicago was gonna release all decisions by today and that hasn't happened. Someone said Yale was gonna release all decisions last Friday and that didn't happen. Don't give up hope!

4 minutes ago, supremethiophene said:

I'm not really sure why a lot of people are giving up hope. It's the beginning of February. Many people I've talked to have received acceptances in February. If the results page was anything to go off of then that would mean only like 10 people got into Yale this year, 8 to Harvard, etc etc. The results page is extremely biased. Most people don't even know this website exists. Yale acceptances are probably still coming out I would imagine and I'm assuming most schools are still making acceptances. I don't trust the results page and I don't really trust a lot of the information on this thread. Someone said that uchicago was gonna release all decisions by today and that hasn't happened. Someone said Yale was gonna release all decisions last Friday and that didn't happen. Don't give up hope!

A lot of these schools send out their acceptances either at once or by discipline. For example, I know Harvard releases decisions at once and Yale typically does it by discipline (albeit, both are typically of the last schools to send out their acceptances)-- I know this from friends who have gone through this process and by speaking with professors. Historically, these decisions are released in January so prospective students have time to make travel arrangements for visiting weekends. I agree, a lot of people don't know about this website, so that is where I would think maybe the accepted students just aren't on here this year?? 

Maybe we shouldn't give up hope, but I'd also say, let's not get our hopes up. An unexpected surprise is better than being let down.

16 hours ago, supremethiophene said:

I really did call UChicago and the lady said that they would release decisions yesterday. I didn’t receive anything though, so I guess I was lied to ?

On 1/31/2018 at 1:11 PM, rwoodward said:

Ok thank you! 

It's strange as I have not heard of anyone hearing back for Organic Chemistry. But perhaps those people are keeping quiet...

Hi. I just got an unofficial email saying I got in organic chemistry track masters! Yeah Saturday night. 

My University of Maryland app status changed from “under departmental review” to “under graduate school review”... anyone have any idea what that could mean?

edit (clarification): is this a good sign or bad sign?

Edited by nickel28