Fall 2018 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

psych0

Has anyone heard from Rutgers for their PhD program? Been a month since interviewing and haven't heard a peep. The posts on Results are all confusing with the PsyD program/GSAPP, so wasn't sure.

Hello! First time poster :) Does anyone know what it means to not have heard anything from a school yet? I've gotten some interviews and some non-interview rejections, but some of my top schools haven't sent either yet...I'm assuming rejections?  

I was invited to interview at 5 of the 9 programs I applied to, but I'm feeling dejected after this whole process. I have yet to hear back from a few schools, but the odds don't seem to be in my favor in terms of number of interviewees vs. spots available. Does anyone have any advice for becoming a better applicant next cycle? Or advice in terms of back-up career options other applicants have considered? Or general advise on how to manage feeling broken down that so much hard work and waiting may result in nothing? I don't mean to be a downer, I'm so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to interview in the first place, but it's a grueling process. 

7 minutes ago, ClinicalPsych94 said:

I was invited to interview at 5 of the 9 programs I applied to, but I'm feeling dejected after this whole process. I have yet to hear back from a few schools, but the odds don't seem to be in my favor in terms of number of interviewees vs. spots available. Does anyone have any advice for becoming a better applicant next cycle? Or advice in terms of back-up career options other applicants have considered? Or general advise on how to manage feeling broken down that so much hard work and waiting may result in nothing? I don't mean to be a downer, I'm so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to interview in the first place, but it's a grueling process. 

I feel the same way. 2 interviews. Haven’t heard back but ont feeling optimistic. Not sure what my next move will be but losing my motivation to continue on this career path? 

23 minutes ago, ClinicalPsych94 said:

If you've been in contact with any of your POIs, you can ask them where they feel you can improve your application. It really is a crappy situation. I felt so dejected when I didn't get an interview at my top choice school (I had a really positive back and forth with my POI too). Clinical programs are just so incredibly competitive that sometimes it is just luck. I have 3 years of research experience, a 1st author publication, and 3 years of working full time with my population of interest, and I only got 1 interview (and still waiting to hear back on that). The way I've been coping is just reminding myself that the competition is fierce, but I really believe this is my intended career path. I've talked to some people that push forward and others who look at MA level credentials such as a licensed counselor or LCSW. I feel like a lot of it is really examining your end goals and seeing what you need to do to get there. 

11 hours ago, ClinicalPsych94 said:

I think unfortunately it is true that it sometimes is just luck. I had a professor tell me that I was "a perfect fit" for a program and "exactly what they needed" and I got wait listed. Of course the credentials (GPA, GREs, experience, presentations, pubs, etc.) are very important, but I've gotten feedback that those are just for narrowing things down. The Applicants that get chosen are those who know how to hold a compelling, articulate, but most importantly, authentic conversation during the interview. In my first couple interviews I had the problem of getting too nervous and becoming rigid and losing my flexibility and authenticity a bit. If you're in an interview, they're already impressed with you as a student. You don't have to sell your smarts, you have to sell the rest of you! This of course may just be my experience (I've only interviewed at 5 schools as well) but all the feedback I've gotten has told me that when it comes down to the top 20 or so best applicants, the ones who were easy to talk to are the stand outs, all credentials aside. 

This process sucks. Its a real blow to the ego. Remember you are AMAZING for being motivated enough to put yourself through this and for getting interview invites in the first place! 

Also, when this process has me down, I really enjoy this thread. Full of good laughs and relatable content :)

11 hours ago, ClinicalPsych94 said:

That's a lot of interviews! I would say to keep your hopes up, since you haven't heard back from all of the programs. Wait 2 weeks after the interview and then send an email to the Director or your POI to ask what your status is. If you're on the wait list, make sure to send an email to your top program and let them know you would definitely accept the offer if you were to receive one. 

As far as how to improve for interviews:

1. be as social as you can be! Go to every event.

2. Connect with the grad students in the lab you want to work with. It is essential for you to get along with them, since you will be working with them a lot. 

3. Talk to other faculty and grad students, not just the ones related to your research interests. 

4. If you don't get to meet grad students from the lab you want to join, email the POI after your interview and ask to be connected with them. 

5. Have a million questions prepared to ask. 

6. show that you're extremely interested in the research being done in the lab, but prove that you have a new perspective and ideas to contribute. 

7. RELAX! Have normal conversations with the interviewers. Let them see what you are like as a real person. Show them how your research interests permeate other parts of your life. They want to see that you are dedicated, but also a well-rounded person who will be easy to work with every day. 

Obviously you are an amazing and qualified person, since you got so many interviews! Be confident in your abilities and something will work out! Good luck! 

15 hours ago, childcenteredwork said:

Hey y’all, does anyone know if Northwestern Feinberg initial invites are all out for all the labs - or only partially out? Would it be wise to email and ask the program director what the case is, or to wait a day or so?

I've heard that not all PIs have reached out to students. Even if they have, don't contact the program director yet. It's way too soon. Wait a week and then reach out. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 1:41 PM, asbeingintheworld said:

Can the person who received an interview from Duquesne specify whether it was a generic or personalized email? Alternatively, does anyone have any clue as to whether Duquesne extends all interview invitations at once?

Hi, personalized. Unsure if they all came out at once but the days are 2/8 and 2/15