Fall 2018 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

psych0

I'm not sure if you guys tend to think as far ahead as me or would be interested in this information, but as we do know, pre-doctoral internships are very competitive. In the last few years the gap has been closing between the number of internship applicants and the number of internship positions available. This year, finally, there were more internship positions available than applicants! I for one hope this trend continues as it's pretty relevant to those of us applying to clinical programs. 

Hope everyone is hanging in there as we wind down interview season and are waiting for good news!

1 hour ago, nycgrad14 said:

Hey there,

I officially accepted USF this morning - for RS lab. Was trying to make decisions ASAP so that they might let people know who were in a "on hold status". Not sure if that pertains to you or not but hope its helpful.

Thanks and congratulations! I have a different POI, but I appreciate your response. I interviewed first wknd so it seems like a long time not to hear anything. 

19 hours ago, Psycholostress said:

Thanks and congratulations! I have a different POI, but I appreciate your response. I interviewed first wknd so it seems like a long time not to hear anything. 

Thanks! I was there first weekend as well! They made us wait since the second interview day was the 15th/16th. I know they met on the 20th to make all decisions, not sure why you havent heard anything - even a wait-list notification... hope you hear something soon and best of luck! 

Any thoughts on requesting feedback from programs? I applied to 8 schools and didn't land a single interview.

I have 4+ years field experience, high GPA, excellent GRE scores, and good recommendations. Did not major in psych for undergrad. Would like to get feedback on how to become a better applicant, but I've heard mixed feelings on contacting programs with this kind of inquiry.

5 minutes ago, cantunderstand said:

Any thoughts on requesting feedback from programs? I applied to 8 schools and didn't land a single interview.

I have 4+ years field experience, high GPA, excellent GRE scores, and good recommendations. Did not major in psych for undergrad. Would like to get feedback on how to become a better applicant, but I've heard mixed feelings on contacting programs with this kind of inquiry.

I would 100% ask for feedback. This is my second cycle of applying and finally landed 6 interviews and so far have been accepted to 3 places and have pulled my name from the remaining 3 since I already have accepted. After my first cycle, I didnt land one interview and reached out to each program for feedback on my application and the majority of my feedback was my GRE scores were too low. Also when I was writing my PS, the fit didnt really show as well as I wanted. So this time around I went through and really applied to programs that were perfect matches for me, forgot about location location location, and that really turned things around. Hope that helps!

31 minutes ago, nycgrad14 said:

I would 100% ask for feedback. This is my second cycle of applying and finally landed 6 interviews and so far have been accepted to 3 places and have pulled my name from the remaining 3 since I already have accepted. After my first cycle, I didnt land one interview and reached out to each program for feedback on my application and the majority of my feedback was my GRE scores were too low. Also when I was writing my PS, the fit didnt really show as well as I wanted. So this time around I went through and really applied to programs that were perfect matches for me, forgot about location location location, and that really turned things around. Hope that helps!

Did you ask specific POIs for feedback? Program coordinators? Did you just say something like "I am hoping to find out how I can improve my application in the future" or something like that? Thanks! And congratulations!!

45 minutes ago, PsychM said:

Did you ask specific POIs for feedback? Program coordinators? Did you just say something like "I am hoping to find out how I can improve my application in the future" or something like that? Thanks! And congratulations!!

I asked whoever I had the most contact with! Some schools I just a typical mass rejection, so I would respond either to the program coordinator or the DCT. Some schools the POI let me know that they were not extending an interview so I would ask them. This is the message I used: 

I want to first thank you for reviewing my application for Clinical Psychology Ph.D program for the 2017 admission cycle. Even though I was unable to move forward I was told that I could reach out to get feedback about my application. Were there areas of weakness in my application (E.g., GRE scores, personal statement, or my letters of recommendation)? I would appreciate any feedback on how I might be able to improve myself as a candidate for the next submission cycle. 

My Application number was: (if applicable). 

Thank you so much for your time.

So something like that and I got really nice responses from everyone - so dont be afraid to ask.

49 minutes ago, nycgrad14 said:

I asked whoever I had the most contact with! Some schools I just a typical mass rejection, so I would respond either to the program coordinator or the DCT. Some schools the POI let me know that they were not extending an interview so I would ask them. This is the message I used: 

I want to first thank you for reviewing my application for Clinical Psychology Ph.D program for the 2017 admission cycle. Even though I was unable to move forward I was told that I could reach out to get feedback about my application. Were there areas of weakness in my application (E.g., GRE scores, personal statement, or my letters of recommendation)? I would appreciate any feedback on how I might be able to improve myself as a candidate for the next submission cycle. 

So something like that and I got really nice responses from everyone - so dont be afraid to ask.

Thank you! Really great input and example. I'm hoping for some solid feedback I can address for next cycle.

I thought everyone here would like this:

Somone on Reddit estimated decision timelines based on GradCafe data. For each university and program you will find three graphs:

• Decision timeline as a cumulative sum of decisions (accept, reject, interview, waitlist) as a function of time between Jan 1 and May 1 for the last five years combined.
  • Boxplots of GRE Q and GRE V for people who reported both scores.
  • Histogram of GPAs (from 2.5 to 4.0 with 0.1 step).

https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/7srxxy/decision_timelines_for_particular_universities/

Brilliant!

On 2/16/2018 at 8:50 PM, 123pickme said:

I am actually very uncertain what is going on with TC so maybe someone else can address that. There may be hope for this one!

UCLA:  My colleague had an interview invite in January and the interviews were conducted earlier this month. Based on the results page one of the admissions already went out. Here is this link that may have a status check for your application, though they usually don't send non-interview rejections until like March: https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fAccount%2fLogin.aspx 

Don't get discouraged if you get an outcome other than an interview/rejection for those two programs, they are some of the most competitive programs and theres many factors that go into interview invites. Good Luck!

Thank you so much for this! This was very useful! I'm an international applicant so I had no idea how it would work for me because I'm sure it would be over Skype for me. I contacted the department and they said that most decisions are made around March April and I should wait till April 15th. The link was very useful thank you! I wasn't sent anything over email so it's good to have handy! :)

On 2/16/2018 at 9:39 PM, PsychApplicant18 said:

PhD interviews were yesterday, unfortunately, for TC. 

In-person interviews and Skype interviews as well? I'm an international applicant and am unsure how it would work for me! 

On 2/27/2018 at 11:10 AM, nycgrad14 said:

Thank you so much! 

54 minutes ago, corbeau said:

Has anyone head anything post-interview from the University of Pittsburgh? 

I know my POI said they were still in the process of making decisions this week, so I'm guessing that holds for most of the faculty. Looking at previous years, acceptances seemed to go out either this week or next week, so I'd say we will likely hear by the end of next week. 

5 minutes ago, Timemachines said:

I know that at least some acceptances have gone out

But what about for clinical psych? I've seen that one Cognitive poster, but nothing else except for a new non-interview rejections.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:44 PM, b_l91 said:

I'm not sure if you guys tend to think as far ahead as me or would be interested in this information, but as we do know, pre-doctoral internships are very competitive. In the last few years the gap has been closing between the number of internship applicants and the number of internship positions available. This year, finally, there were more internship positions available than applicants! I for one hope this trend continues as it's pretty relevant to those of us applying to clinical programs. 

Hope everyone is hanging in there as we wind down interview season and are waiting for good news!

May I ask where you got this information from?

3 hours ago, 21ny14 said:

May I ask where you got this information from?

I work at a facility that has an internship program. I haven't looked at the APPIC website but like Hk328 said, I'm sure the stats are there as well.