Fall 2018 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

psych0

To those who've received acceptances and waitlists from the University of Missouri at Kansas City (UMKC), congratulations and/or best of luck! Could you DM me you POIs? Thanks!

On 3/1/2018 at 5:04 PM, 21ny14 said:

May I ask where you got this information from?

Phase I results: 3,163 applicants were successfully matched to internship positions in Phase I of the 2018 APPIC Match. After many years of scarcity, there were more positions offered (3906) than registered students (3779). 

More than half (51%) of all applicants who obtained a position matched to their first choice internship program, nearly three-quarters (73%) received one of their top two choices, and about six-in-seven (85%) received one of their top three choices.

The total number of accredited positions (3383) represents a 43% increase in the past 6 years.

https://www.appic.org/.../Match-Statistics-2018-Phase-I

Nancy Gordon Moore, PhD, MBA
Executive Director, Office of Strategic Programs
American Psychological Association

1 hour ago, iliketurtlestoo said:

Phase I results: 3,163 applicants were successfully matched to internship positions in Phase I of the 2018 APPIC Match. After many years of scarcity, there were more positions offered (3906) than registered students (3779). 

More than half (51%) of all applicants who obtained a position matched to their first choice internship program, nearly three-quarters (73%) received one of their top two choices, and about six-in-seven (85%) received one of their top three choices.

The total number of accredited positions (3383) represents a 43% increase in the past 6 years.

https://www.appic.org/.../Match-Statistics-2018-Phase-I

Nancy Gordon Moore, PhD, MBA
Executive Director, Office of Strategic Programs
American Psychological Association

By definition, 400 of the internships that students “matched to” aren’t accredited. Given that going to un accredited internship is a huge barrier to licensure and job prospects, I wouldn’t be as far sweeping by saying the number of spots exceeds the demand. This is extremely misleading. 

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is one of those “log jam” years, where a lot of people are waiting on someone else before releasing their own offer to a different school?

It just seems (andcdotally) like I’m seeing a higher number of posts asking “has anyone heard from....?” than in past years.

2 hours ago, Clinapp2017 said:

By definition, 400 of the internships that students “matched to” aren’t accredited. Given that going to un accredited internship is a huge barrier to licensure and job prospects, I wouldn’t be as far sweeping by saying the number of spots exceeds the demand. This is extremely misleading. 

While it isn't the ideal, these stats are definetely an improvement over past years. Hopefully this trend continues. 

6 hours ago, DdndCraft said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is one of those “log jam” years, where a lot of people are waiting on someone else before releasing their own offer to a different school?

It just seems (andcdotally) like I’m seeing a higher number of posts asking “has anyone heard from....?” than in past years.

I definitely feel that way. I’m waiting for people to reject offers they’re holding onto so my professor can extend an offer. It’s very frustrating as there are a couple people holding offers. Don’t get me wrong, it’s their right but I find that if you hold onto an offer for more than a week you’re not likely to take it. It just a “safety net”at this point for them as hey wait for better offers. 

Edited by missfleur

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can alleviate my anxiety~

I recently visited a program and interviewed with two POIs.
The first one told me that she thought we are a match mid way through the interview and asked if I was leaning more towards her or the other POI. I told her I felt we are a match too, but I felt the need to meet the other professor before I could really know who I would best work with. She respected that.
I met with the second POI, who right off the bat before interviewing me at all asked me if I was more interested in working with her or the other POI. I told her I was very interested in the other professor's lab but wanted the opportunity to speak with her. She described her specific current research goals with me and I said that it seemed like the other professor was a closer match. She did not interview me at all. According to other applicants this professor did not ask them about who they preferred to work with and they all had normal interviews.
I don't know how to feel about this! Did I just harm my chances of getting into the program?

1 hour ago, horseshoesandhandgrenades said:
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can alleviate my anxiety~

The first one told me that she thought we are a match mid way through the interview and asked if I was leaning more towards her or the other POI. I told her I felt we are a match too, but I felt the need to meet the other professor before I could really know who I would best work with. She respected that.
I met with the second POI, who right off the bat before interviewing me at all asked me if I was more interested in working with her or the other POI. I told her I was very interested in the other professor's lab but wanted the opportunity to speak with her. She described her specific current research goals with me and I said that it seemed like the other professor was a closer match. She did not interview me at all. According to other applicants this professor did not ask them about who they preferred to work with and they all had normal interviews.
I don't know how to feel about this! Did I just harm my chances of getting into the program?

I mean, you might have somewhat harmed your chances of working with the second POI, but if it isn't a great match (like you seem to say), then maybe that isn't something I would necessarily stress about anyway. It's just as important to know what is a good match for you. If I were in your position, I would send them both a thank you email for the interview (as usual) but in my email to the first POI, I'd maybe let them know that after speaking to POI #2, you see POI #1 as being a good match and that you're excited about the chance to work with them. Just basically letting them know that you weighed your options (which is completely fine and within your right), but that you're definitely still interested. I don't necessarily think you harmed your chance of getting into the program, so I wouldn't worry too much. These things can be such a tricky balancing act, but I think you did fine! 

3 hours ago, horseshoesandhandgrenades said:

I don't see any harm with being honest with yourself and the professors in the program.  I'm not quite sure if this was some sort of "test"/whether or not you past it, but match is important for you and the professor.  And there's more to it than the research - what does their mentorship look like?  Are there opportunities to expand the scope of projects to align better with your goals?  You did, after all, apply to them for a reason.  Obviously the odds of you getting accepted into a program are better when two professors are considering you, but it's going to be narrowed down to one at some point anyway.  Best of luck!  Curious to know the outcome of this.

4 hours ago, horseshoesandhandgrenades said:

This happened to me. I don’t know if it harmed my chances. I wish I had been more forthright with the one who I was interested in and told the other, as you did. It was really uncomfortable. Feel free to DM for details.

Edited by Psycholostress
Add DM invite

I know a couple people posted about not hearing from ETSU on the results page. I think I remember the DCT saying that we should hear within two weeks. Has anyone been in touch with this school post-interview? 

Hi all, I got waitlisted by USC and Minnesota-DPCS track earlier last month and was wondering if anyone got off waitlist yet. I am tired of waiting and thinking about accepting an offer from a similarly good program rather than postpone until 4/15. Any input would be more than appreciated.

7 hours ago, Meteor&Star said:

Hi all, I got waitlisted by USC and Minnesota-DPCS track earlier last month and was wondering if anyone got off waitlist yet. I am tired of waiting and thinking about accepting an offer from a similarly good program rather than postpone until 4/15. Any input would be more than appreciated.

I guess it depends if receiving offers from USC and Minnesota would change your decision.  How do you feel about the similarly good program?  If it's just impatience that's getting to you, I'm inclined to suggest you wait it out.  But then again, making a decision now lets other wait-listers know where they stand.  So it's up to you.  I understand the temptation, as I'm currently waiting on two schools and holding an acceptance, but I'd rather know what all my options are before making any big life decisions.

Edited by 4est

29 minutes ago, 4est said:

I guess it depends if receiving offers from USC and Minnesota would change your decision.  How do you feel about the similarly good program?  If it's just impatience that's getting to you, I'm inclined to suggest you wait it out.  But then again, making a decision now lets other wait-listers know where they stand.  So it's up to you.  I understand the temptation, as I'm currently waiting on two schools and holding an acceptance, but I'd rather know what all my options are before making any big life decisions.

Your response really helped me. I was getting impatient and am in the same position you described. I’ve been conflicted about holding an offer while waiting. Your reminder about knowing all options before making such a big life decision helped me to slow back down. 

14 minutes ago, Psycholostress said:

Your response really helped me. I was getting impatient and am in the same position you described. I’ve been conflicted about holding an offer while waiting. Your reminder about knowing all options before making such a big life decision helped me to slow back down. 

Glad it helped - it's seriously a huge commitment.  We're talking 5-6 years of our lives!  As someone who does not like change or uncertainty, I like weighing out all my options.  Congratulations on your offer, and best of luck waiting it out!  If you ever need further reminders, feel free to reach out :)  

Sending you and Meteor&Star good luck and vibes~

10 minutes ago, 4est said:

Glad it helped - it's seriously a huge commitment.  We're talking 5-6 years of our lives!  As someone who does not like change or uncertainty, I like weighing out all my options.  Congratulations on your offer, and best of luck waiting it out!  If you ever need further reminders, feel free to reach out :)  

Sending you and Meteor&Star good luck and vibes~

Thank you!!! You made my day. I feel much more centered. I may reach out if I get too stressed again lol. Thanks again. I also wish you all the best in your decisions, etc.