2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

1 hour ago, clarkdean said:

Congrats! And thanks... I got rejected, but I was already expecting it. Berkeley was really just my top choice initially, although that changed over the course of the application season. Do you think you’ll accept their offer?

It seems that way. I am waiting to hear about my fellowship results. I am 75% sure I will accept it. I don't know if I'll get into Amherst or what their funding is like, but yeah. Berekely seems like the one for me. 

Sorry about it, but you got an offer elsewhere. Are you an international applicant or do you just live abroad? I am shocked by the number of socio rejections as so many people posted interviews.

5 hours ago, waltzforzizi said:

It seems that way. I am waiting to hear about my fellowship results. I am 75% sure I will accept it. I don't know if I'll get into Amherst or what their funding is like, but yeah. Berekely seems like the one for me. 

Sorry about it, but you got an offer elsewhere. Are you an international applicant or do you just live abroad? I am shocked by the number of socio rejections as so many people posted interviews.

I hope you hear back from Amherst soon. Both places sound like really great options!

Yes, thanks... I have a really great offer from UC San Diego, and my prospective advisor there seems to be an amazing mentor! I was also interviewed by MIT and Virginia (results will be out soon I hope!), and I’m still waiting on NYU and Northwestern. I’m from the Philippines, but I have a Master’s from a US university in Hungary.  This process has been such a huge emotional roller coaster!

On 2/27/2018 at 9:58 AM, waltzforzizi said:

Have you interviewed or chatted with your POI or anyone? I Skyped with mine several months before the deadline, and I believe the poster I mentioned interviewed before the deadline too. Hopefully, we will hear soon.......!!!..... :o

No, I haven't interviewed with anyone. 

40 minutes ago, Indiana_Bones said:

I am SO READY for this waiting thing to be over. What are y'all doing to fill your time/distract yourself?

Reading old threads on this site with info about my prospective schools... watching welcome videos of those schools on Youtube... stalking POIs online... refreshing my inbox and the results board 2936426 times a day...

Oh you asked what I do to distract myself. Alas I've tried over and over and failed every time.

Edited by clarkdean

Y'all, I did an impatient thing. I couldn't wait any longer :wacko:

I just went ahead and e-mailed my POIs at the schools I hadn't heard from, briefly reiterating my interest in the program and asking for a timeline on when to expect a decision.

Ask and ye shall receive, eh?

37 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Y'all, I did an impatient thing. I couldn't wait any longer :wacko:

I just went ahead and e-mailed my POIs at the schools I hadn't heard from, briefly reiterating my interest in the program and asking for a timeline on when to expect a decision.

Ask and ye shall receive, eh?

Lol I ended up doing this yesterday too because I wanted to get my decision out of the way. I got my answer, though! Hope you do too :) 

12 minutes ago, theprincessleia said:

Are interviews required to be accepted into a program? 

It depends on the program. If they traditionally do interviews, then most likely yes. If they don’t, no. I was accepted recently without an interview.

@clarkdean what do you mean welcome videos? Like campus visit day vlog or like a welcome to... here is our main building? I haven't thought of doing that. I currently live in Korea and will miss out on the welcome day. 

Good luck with your other schools! It seems like your background would give you an edge. 

Sorry, @Archaeodan that's terrible news :(. I hope you can find something else soon

40 minutes ago, Archaeodan said:

haha psa maybe don't be nice and tell your bosses you got into grad school and are going on fieldwork this summer cause they may FIRE YOU IMMEDIATELY. this is fun this is fine yay

Holy crap, that’s awful. Aren’t you doing Americorps right now???

It sounds like that’s somewhere you don’t need to work anyways if that is the reaction of your boss...

4 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Holy crap, that’s awful. Aren’t you doing Americorps right now???

It sounds like that’s somewhere you don’t need to work anyways if that is the reaction of your boss...

MMHMM YUP I AM. I can't finish my term because my POI wants me to come on fieldwork this summer, so I wanted to let my bosses know so they won't be sad/angry/surprised when I only can do 8 months. BUT they decided instead that since I can't do 12, they'll cut their losses and fire me after 4. So like...that's fun. I've...definitely worked in better work environments. 

5 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

MMHMM YUP I AM. I can't finish my term because my POI wants me to come on fieldwork this summer, so I wanted to let my bosses know so they won't be sad/angry/surprised when I only can do 8 months. BUT they decided instead that since I can't do 12, they'll cut their losses and fire me after 4. So like...that's fun. I've...definitely worked in better work environments. 

Wowwwww, I am so sorry. Hopefully this doesn’t put you in a bind too much :( 

But screw it! Get a jump start on all of that PhD stuff and have fun with it! More time to plan and scope out housing.

6 hours ago, waltzforzizi said:

@clarkdean what do you mean welcome videos? Like campus visit day vlog or like a welcome to... here is our main building? I haven't thought of doing that. I currently live in Korea and will miss out on the welcome day. 

Good luck with your other schools! It seems like your background would give you an edge. 

Thank you! I sure hope so...

I'm obviously skipping recruitment and admit days, too, since I'm so far away. So I'm watching video clips of universities. Most are actually more of promotional videos than welcome videos. This one's for you:

14 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

haha psa maybe don't be nice and tell your bosses you got into grad school and are going on fieldwork this summer cause they may FIRE YOU IMMEDIATELY. this is fun this is fine yay

That blows, I'm feeling fortunate that my work is hopeful that I get in. I hope you can find something in the meantime!