2018 Acceptances

7 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Do you think this is an anomaly? Like do schools often accept especially stellar applicants early?

My husband has been in meetings around DC all day and left the house with his phone on low battery this morning. Now I'm wondering if he possibly could have gotten a call... Lol, if only!

Schools often notify special fellowship winners before they notify other people of their acceptances. As far as I know though, Harvard has always funded everyone equally. 

ETA: This isn't the first case of Harvard notifying by phone.  It seems like one's POI can call an applicant first. This could be followed by a letter from the DGS. Based on that, e-mails can go out as early as next week. Harvard and Yale have also usually notified a day apart so it would be interesting to see if Yale will notify soon as well. Lots of admission decisions have come in early this cycle. We may be looking at early decisions from all schools. :)

Edited by Warelin

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Schools often notify special fellowship winners before they notify other people of their acceptances. As far as I know though, Harvard has always funded everyone equally. 

ETA: This isn't the first case of Harvard notifying by phone.  It seems like one's POI can call an applicant first. This could be followed by a letter from the DGS. Based on that, e-mails can go out as early as next week. Harvard and Yale have also usually notified a day apart so it would be interesting to see if Yale will notify soon as well. Lots of admission decisions have come in early this cycle. We may be looking at early decisions from all schools. :)

That would be a relief! I was dreading having to wait for the Ivies, which seem to be weeks after a lot of other schools.

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

That would be a relief! I was dreading having to wait for the Ivies, which seem to be weeks after a lot of other schools.

I think it was previously joked on these boards that Harvard/Yale tend to break hearts on Valentine's Day. I'm happy that this might be a move away from that. Earlier acceptances mean that students have more time to decide before the April 15 deadline. 

13 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I know it's been said before, but thank you @Warelin for being so thorough and open with the "when/how/why" re: notifications. Also, I so - SO - hope you're right about early notifications. I have a good feeling that may well be the case.

34 minutes ago, punctilious said:

My husband has been in meetings around DC all day and left the house with his phone on low battery this morning. Now I'm wondering if he possibly could have gotten a call... Lol, if only!

Haha don't drive yourself crazy!

This came up in the acceptance thread re: Buffalo, but oftentimes schools have outside or university-wide fellowship nomination processes that don't coincide with their overall admissions timeline.  Oftentimes the department needs to nominate an applicant and then forward that nominee's application to an extra-departmental committee for approval.  That could potentially be a reason for admissions notifications that seem out of whack with tradition.  If this doesn't show up in the survey in previous years, it could be because some fellowships rotate between departments; or because a department used a fellowship that ordinarily goes to a student already attending in order to recruit a particularly good or interesting applicant they think may go elsewhere.

Also, I'm sure that if a dept. tried to notify an accepted applicant by phone and didn't get an answer that they would leave a voicemail, contact the applicant by e-mail, and patiently wait for a response.  If they're calling you that means they want you, possibly just as much as you want them.  Even Harvard has to compete for accepted applicants, so remember that it's a two-lane street, even if their lane is substantially wider than yours!

Edited by jrockford27

8 minutes ago, jrockford27 said:

This came up in the acceptance thread re: Buffalo, but oftentimes schools have outside or university-wide fellowship nomination processes that don't coincide with their overall admissions timeline.  Oftentimes the department needs to nominate an applicant and then forward that nominee's application to an extra-departmental committee for approval.  That could potentially be a reason for admissions notifications that seem out of whack with tradition.  If this doesn't show up in the survey in previous years, it could be because some fellowships rotate between departments; or because a department used a fellowship that ordinarily goes to a student already attending in order to recruit a particularly good or interesting applicant they think may go elsewhere.

Also, I'm sure that if a dept. tried to notify an accepted applicant by phone and didn't get an answer that they would leave a voicemail, contact the applicant by e-mail, and patiently wait for a response.  If they're calling you that means they want you, possibly just as much as you want them.  Even Harvard has to compete for accepted applicants, so remember that it's a two-lane street, even if their lane is substantially wider than yours!

This. I am struggling to believe that Harvard was able to determine the entire class in two weeks. (Applications were due January 2nd.) But hey! You never know!

3 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got waitlisted for a Gender Studies program -- first non-rejection in two years; I suddenly feel like maybe I have a chance. 

I'm out of reactions but that is such awesome news! Being on the waitlist definitely means you have a chance (in addition to the validation that your app is great in general!).

35 minutes ago, Warelin said:

ACCEPTED TO ILLINOIS AND NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP!

14 minutes ago, bumbleblu said:

I just got waitlisted for a Gender Studies program -- first non-rejection in two years; I suddenly feel like maybe I have a chance. 

Congrats to both of you!!!! YAY!!!

3 hours ago, Warelin said:

ACCEPTED TO ILLINOIS AND NOMINATED FOR A FELLOWSHIP!

Yahoo congrats!!!

3 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

Congrats to you too!!! Hoping for good news!!!

3 minutes ago, Cotton Joe said:

Accepted to Literature MA at Alabama (not Strode) with assistantship and Loomis scholarship.

1 hour ago, Crow T. Robot said:

I got a Duke Literature interview!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, bumbleblu said:

All out of upvotes but congrats to all! Fantastic news all around! Please keep us in the loop as you move forward/get info - can't wait to hear more!