2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

2 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Someone on the results page is upset they weren't admitted to Hogwarts. 

Their program is going downhill quickly these days anyway (DDore is functionally retired), though still probably one of the best places for those with interest in medieval and/or herbology

10 minutes ago, artshop said:

I've seen that at least two people report that they were either rejecting an offer from UW or taking themselves off the waitlist.  Has anyone on the waitlist been notified?

I'm guessing you mean UW-Seattle? If so, I'm also curious. I wish they would release more information about their waitlist; I've asked about more info, but they don't give any specific details as a matter of policy. 

8 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

I'm guessing you mean UW-Seattle? If so, I'm also curious. I wish they would release more information about their waitlist; I've asked about more info, but they don't give any specific details as a matter of policy. 

I've emailed to ask if there is a ranking and I haven't gotten a response. I got waitlisted a day earlier than the others who reported.  I know I'm grasping at straws but I wonder if that's significant.  It could mean that it was a no brainer that I wasn't going to be accepted off the bat.

7 minutes ago, artshop said:

I've emailed to ask if there is a ranking and I haven't gotten a response. I got waitlisted a day earlier than the others who reported.  I know I'm grasping at straws but I wonder if that's significant.  It could mean that it was a no brainer that I wasn't going to be accepted off the bat.

Yeah, I have no idea how to interpret such things. My guess is that the waitlist is quasi-ranked according to AOI. But I really don't know. 

2 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

Congrats! That is a really impressive list. Also, I noticed Simon Fraser on your list as well, are you just coming out of undergraduate school? 

Thanks! Yes, I applied straight from undergrad.

5 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Me. Also in this position with Arizona, Rutgers, UConn, Fordham and UCSD.

Very frustrating!

I completely understand - I just want this torment to end!

I contacted Martin Lin at Rutgers today, though, and solicited a rejection. Perhaps you could try too - he was pretty friendly, if understandably curt. 

I also contacted Prinz at CUNY, and Paul at UNC Chapel Hill today, but haven't heard anything yet. Will let you know if I hear anything from CUNY :) 

16 minutes ago, eigenname said:

I contacted Martin Lin at Rutgers today, though, and solicited a rejection. Perhaps you could try too - he was pretty friendly, if understandably curt. 

I also contacted Prinz at CUNY, and Paul at UNC Chapel Hill today, but haven't heard anything yet. Will let you know if I hear anything from CUNY :) 

I tried to solicit from UConn, UCSD, Cornell, and FSU. But haven't heard anything. 

21 minutes ago, eigenname said:

If you hear anything from LA Paul, let me know! Chapel Hill is my last hope PhD wise.

1 hour ago, be. said:

Thanks! Yes, I applied straight from undergrad.

Same here, but I stuck to M.A.'s this round. I just figured it would be unrealistic of me to even try to breach so many schools of that caliber without at least an M.A. or a letter of recommendation from Aristotle. Way to go, that's really inspiring. What was your sample on? 

28 minutes ago, eigenname said:

If she replies I'll let you know! :) For personal reasons I also hope to go somewhere on the east coast, so fingers crossed for both of us!

I second this. I want to email UNC, but I'm  nervous about it, as I REALLY want to go there. The rejection would stink.

38 minutes ago, Descartes blanche said:

Same here, but I stuck to M.A.'s this round. I just figured it would be unrealistic of me to even try to breach so many schools of that caliber without at least an M.A. or a letter of recommendation from Aristotle. Way to go, that's really inspiring. What was your sample on? 

Thanks! Going into this application cycle, I really did have no idea that I'd do this well. And my sample was on Berkeley.

23 minutes ago, LORDBACON said:

Looks like we're headin' down into a good old-fashioned standoff, folks!

Sounds about right. I've solicited UCSB, UT at Austin (I know they sent out notifications, but I got nothing during that wave), and UConn. None of them have responded yet.

It's currently the middle of the night, but I just received an email from UMass Amherst telling me that a decision letter had been posted! It was generic, so I assume that a bunch were all sent out just now.

Edited by Stencil

Rejected at U Mass Amherst and waitlisted at Ohio State this week. I think I may have been on a hidden waitlist at Ohio State, since I believe the waitlist decisions went out a long time ago. I still haven't heard by from 7 programs. I would solicit decisions, but does anyone ever get good news from that? I think I am going to wait and see if I get moved onto any official waitlists in April.

2 hours ago, Pythian said:

Rejected at U Mass Amherst and waitlisted at Ohio State this week. I think I may have been on a hidden waitlist at Ohio State, since I believe the waitlist decisions went out a long time ago. I still haven't heard by from 7 programs. I would solicit decisions, but does anyone ever get good news from that? I think I am going to wait and see if I get moved onto any official waitlists in April.

I did see that someone solicited an acceptance from Rutgers, and I think that someone else posted on another thread a solicited acceptance. 

UConn has been solicited by so many of us, I wonder why they haven't responded at all...