Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

3 minutes ago, eliserichelle said:

I'm just praying there's some way they're not done with the acceptances yet.

Part of what keeps me hanging on right now is that none of the super brilliant people who have had such good runs this season haven't said anything...surely they aren't done yet? (But I do think that it's maybe over. Here's to the possibility of a waitlist!)

33 minutes ago, D13charlie said:

Is there anything from Yale yet? Other than the one post over the weekend?

I am an impatient anxious MONSTER but I just emailed the Yale English registrar and she actually responded saying that no decisions at all had been made or released! Not sure what to make of that post! She told me they appreciated my patience as they continue to finalize decisions and will release them as soon as they're ready...

13 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Part of what keeps me hanging on right now is that none of the super brilliant people who have had such good runs this season haven't said anything...surely they aren't done yet? (But I do think that it's maybe over. Here's to the possibility of a waitlist!)

Also praying...or an invisible waitlist/rounds of acceptances? 

20 minutes ago, automatic said:

I am an impatient anxious MONSTER but I just emailed the Yale English registrar and she actually responded saying that no decisions at all had been made or released! Not sure what to make of that post! She told me they appreciated my patience as they continue to finalize decisions and will release them as soon as they're ready...

Phew! Thanks for the update. 

55 minutes ago, automatic said:

You’re amazing. Thanks for this. 

Anyone starting to feel.... really depressed and hopeless?  I applied to 10 schools and have been rejected from four, and am expecting rejections from two more.  I know it only takes one, but I'm starting to feel like my chances are almost 0 of getting in anywhere.

3 minutes ago, eliserichelle said:

Anyone starting to feel.... really depressed and hopeless?  I applied to 10 schools and have been rejected from four, and am expecting rejections from two more.  I know it only takes one, but I'm starting to feel like my chances are almost 0 of getting in anywhere.

Yup. Applied to nine. Got rejected from two right off. Waitlisted at my ‘safety’ school. Terrified I will have no where to go and will be so depressed I will screw up my final exams (which, unfortunately, are all that determine the outcome of my degree and mess up all future hope). But 6 more to go. Too early to give up.

On 2/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, M(allthevowels)H said:

Were you hoping to work with Ross Gay? If so, the upside is he's one of those poets who does visiting workshops all over the place, all the time. So there's a lot of opportunities to work with him outside of the traditional MFA if you end up somewhere else. (I was a fiction emphasis in my MFA, but I love Ross Gay and Patrick Rosal).

Actually, I was hoping to work with Adrian Matejka! (Though Ross is a ray of sunshine.)

Has anyone received any MFA rejections from Indiana Bloomington? It seems like most/if not all of the poetry acceptances were sent out last week, and I just think it's strange that no rejections have been sent yet (at least not that I know of). 

It looks like acceptances went out, or at least interviews, to the majority of the programs I've been waiting to hear from (UCR, Boulder, CUNY, Davis, Vanderbilt, and Columbia - already rejected from Chicago outright) and I've gotten one acceptance with a waitlist for funding at my bottom choice of school (which, to be honest, I didn't even want to apply to because it wasn't a great fit and match but my thesis chair insisted. I'm really not excited for it). I was waitlisted two years ago before my MA at UCR and was the top person on their waitlist (and at Davis as well but I have no idea where I was on their list). I was strongly encouraged by UCR's English department to apply again and it seems that I'm either waitlisted or rejected this time around. It's a bummer since I've redone my GRE for a higher score (93% verbal and writing), have a pretty high GPA (3.95 graduate GPA), have done more intense research and disseminated the research at top conferences in my field (16th Century Society, etc.), and had not only my department but other recent graduates from my field look over all of my application materials for a thumbs up. This is my third time trying and I think it's over - I'm not going to try again. I can't keep putting my life on hold to apply to departments that constantly don't want me nor my research.

Edited by ThePandaBard
More info about Davis.

26 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

Okay NYU, just RIP THE BANDAID OFF PLEASE. 

I’m finally starting to accept that it’s probably a no...the klonopin helped and now I’m eating my feelings ? (those feelings being anxiety at the thought of this day starting all over again tomorrow with Penn and Princeton in the running—it’s like Groundhog Day for over-thinkers and feelers)

30 minutes ago, ThePandaBard said:

I was strongly encouraged by UCR's English department to apply again and it seems that I'm either waitlisted or rejected this time around. It's a bummer since I've redone my GRE for a higher score (93% verbal and writing), have a pretty high GPA (3.95 graduate GPA), have done more intense research and disseminated the research at top conferences in my field (16th Century Society, etc.), and had not only my department but other recent graduates from my field look over all of my application materials for a thumbs up. This is my third time trying and I think it's over - I'm not going to try again. I can't keep putting my life on hold to apply to departments that constantly don't want me nor my research.

Just want to say on this front that I wouldn't count UCR out! Taking a look back at their results, they notify over a stretch of nearly a week! Also, in the few exchanges I had with the person who contacted me, they said they're trying to expand the amount of people in the cohort who work in earlier time periods, which I'm sure 1500s would count as! Hope is not lost! <3 

Edited by chellyfish_

3 hours ago, eliserichelle said:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

It looks like acceptances went out, or at least interviews, to the majority of the programs I've been waiting to hear from (UCR, Boulder, CUNY, Davis, Vanderbilt, and Columbia - already rejected from Chicago outright) and I've gotten one acceptance with a waitlist for funding at my bottom choice of school (which, to be honest, I didn't even want to apply to because it wasn't a great fit and match but my thesis chair insisted. I'm really not excited for it). I was waitlisted two years ago before my MA at UCR and was the top person on their waitlist (and at Davis as well but I have no idea where I was on their list). I was strongly encouraged by UCR's English department to apply again and it seems that I'm either waitlisted or rejected this time around. It's a bummer since I've redone my GRE for a higher score (93% verbal and writing), have a pretty high GPA (3.95 graduate GPA), have done more intense research and disseminated the research at top conferences in my field (16th Century Society, etc.), and had not only my department but other recent graduates from my field look over all of my application materials for a thumbs up. This is my third time trying and I think it's over - I'm not going to try again. I can't keep putting my life on hold to apply to departments that constantly don't want me nor my research.

Has CUNY gone out? 

2 hours ago, automatic said:

Has CUNY gone out? 

Two people have claimed they've been contacted with acceptances with offers to follow on the results forum.

3 hours ago, chellyfish_ said:

Just want to say on this front that I wouldn't count UCR out! Taking a look back at their results, they notify over a stretch of nearly a week! Also, in the few exchanges I had with the person who contacted me, they said they're trying to expand the amount of people in the cohort who work in earlier time periods, which I'm sure 1500s would count as! Hope is not lost! <3 

That is helpful - thank you!

5 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

Columbia isn’t out either! They do NOT interview everyone. Don’t give up yet!

9 hours ago, ThePandaBard said:

Two people have claimed they've been contacted with acceptances with offers to follow on the results forum.

That is helpful - thank you!

Ugh, re CUNY. I'm wondering if everyone gets contacted personally (sounds like at least 1 of those people had communicated with a professor; perhaps if you didn't have that experience, they wouldn't send out a personalized unofficial email). I'm hoping not. I'm feeling like I'm about to be shut out this time and just overall am despondent and miserable, like, just in the mode of waiting for more rejections to materialize formally. For some reason the worst part--probably because it's the most immediate, short term experience I have to look forward to--seems not even like, applying all over and waiting at least another year, but having to tell everyone I know I didn't get in anywhere. I know people on this forum get it isn't a mark of shame, but it feels like that and it also seems the rest of the non-PhD applicant world views getting unilaterally rejected across the board would see it as such :/

18 hours ago, chellyfish_ said:

Anyone else squirming over UCSB right now?? They seem to be running their admissions process totally different this year.  In past years acceptances and rejections seem to have gone out en mass with wiatlists shortly after....hmmm.

I am also squirming, especially since I had a positive email exchange with one of my POIs at UCSB this fall.

1 hour ago, automatic said:

Ugh, re CUNY. I'm wondering if everyone gets contacted personally (sounds like at least 1 of those people had communicated with a professor; perhaps if you didn't have that experience, they wouldn't send out a personalized unofficial email). I'm hoping not. I'm feeling like I'm about to be shut out this time and just overall am despondent and miserable, like, just in the mode of waiting for more rejections to materialize formally. For some reason the worst part--probably because it's the most immediate, short term experience I have to look forward to--seems not even like, applying all over and waiting at least another year, but having to tell everyone I know I didn't get in anywhere. I know people on this forum get it isn't a mark of shame, but it feels like that and it also seems the rest of the non-PhD applicant world views getting unilaterally rejected across the board would see it as such :/

I hope I can shed some light on CUNY. After calming down and actually reading the email I received today (Reading? Who knew!), it does say that the official email will come later. I can also say that mine was from a POI and was heavily personalized. So, it does sound like things aren't settled there yet.

21 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

I hope I can shed some light on CUNY. After calming down and actually reading the email I received today (Reading? Who knew!), it does say that the official email will come later. I can also say that mine was from a POI and was heavily personalized. So, it does sound like things aren't settled there yet.

Thanks so much for this! And firstly, congrats!!! That's super kind of you and who knows, but either way, that's awesome for you and thanks for calming my fears a tiny bit. 

// slow breathing 

Another UCSB acceptance on the boards from a couple days agoooo -- trying not to give up hope :unsure:  

(Side note to this, if any of the people accepted have intel on their notifying process this cycle, I'd appreciate it!)

Edited by chellyfish_