Oh, The Places You'll Go! (Decisions 2018)

Officially accepted my offer at TCU's rhet/comp PhD program. Very happy to finally have made my decision. Good luck to everyone out there still trying to make a decision. It can be hard, but take your time, you've still got two more weeks

10 minutes ago, renea said:

Officially accepted my offer at TCU's rhet/comp PhD program. Very happy to finally have made my decision. Good luck to everyone out there still trying to make a decision. It can be hard, but take your time, you've still got two more weeks

Congrats on making your final decision! :)

3 hours ago, clinamen said:

Anybody else still having a tough time making a decision? :wacko:

Yesssssss. I have one school that I think would be the best for my career but the city would make life and finances more difficult for us, and another that is lower ranked but the cost of living is soooo cheap and I know my partner would be happier there. Trying to choose has honestly been the most stressful part of the process for me.

14 minutes ago, melian517 said:

Yesssssss. I have one school that I think would be the best for my career but the city would make life and finances more difficult for us, and another that is lower ranked but the cost of living is soooo cheap and I know my partner would be happier there. Trying to choose has honestly been the most stressful part of the process for me.

I can totally relate! At least it seems you have narrowed it down to two! I have only narrowed it down to three and one (the one I think is my first choice) is a waitlist so I'm really feeling the stress. The one I liked most after visits is in a climate I just don't think I could handle and in a region I just don't particularly want to live in. I had no idea that this part of the process would be so stressful (or even stressful at all)!! 

48 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I can totally relate! At least it seems you have narrowed it down to two! I have only narrowed it down to three and one (the one I think is my first choice) is a waitlist so I'm really feeling the stress. The one I liked most after visits is in a climate I just don't think I could handle and in a region I just don't particularly want to live in. I had no idea that this part of the process would be so stressful (or even stressful at all)!! 

I didn't either! Keeping my fingers crossed that you hear from the waitlist soon and that your choice becomes easier!

3 hours ago, renea said:

Congratulations on making your decision!

52 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

@clinamen @melian517 My people! I'd narrowed it down to three with an ever shifting rank until last week. Now I'm 80% sure it's two, but don't ask me which one is in the lead. God help me if I get off of a waitlist.

I feel this so hard. I just got off the waitlist at top choice and the funding package is only four years.. whomp whomp. God help me is right. This was not meant to be an easy decision process for me apparently! 

24 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I just got off the waitlist at top choice and the funding package is only four years

I responded to this on the other thread. One of my universities has a similar funding situation, but I heard from a grad student that they mostly use that just in case a student doesn't progress--but basically, everyone who does their work gets an additional year. You could check in with some current grad students to see if there's a similar situation at UW.

P.S. Congratulations again!

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

28 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I responded to this on the other thread. One of my universities has a similar funding situation, but I heard from a grad student that they mostly use that just in case a student doesn't progress--but basically, everyone who does their work gets an additional year. You could check in with some current grad students to see if there's a similar situation at UW.

P.S. Congratulations again!

Ahh thank you so much for this!! You have made me feel better and a bit more equipt to be happier about this development! I am definitely going to check in with current grad students. Luckily I am visiting this coming week so I will come prepared with questions. I am only concerned because the DGS had told me over email only a few weeks ago that all phd students receive five years of funding and that my incoming cohort (smaller than previous years) would be the first to get the sixth year guaranteed as well. I'm anxiously awaiting a response to the email I wrote to ask about this conflicting information. 

Edited by clinamen

2 hours ago, punctilious said:

I’m sooo excited for everyone! What an adventure it has been with you all. :lol:

Seconded! Everyone here is fantastic, and I thank you all for helping me through the last five (!) months! Being alone in this would've been less than great. And I truly hope to meet some of you at conferences in the future! First round's on me!

33 minutes ago, defmaybe said:

Officially accepted my offer at Berkeley! Yeesh. Congrats to everybody :)

Congrats on making your decision!

14 hours ago, Melvillage_Idiot said:

@FishNerd and I are off to University of Denver! Took us a while to get that figured out, but the visits made everything clear.

Now to look up terrifyingly expensive apartments!

Denver's a fun city though! I have some friends near Denver that say commuting from Boulder to Denver is easy due to the connecting buslines. Maybe you can find a cheaper city between the two?

On 3/30/2018 at 6:24 PM, Dogfish Head said:

Officially decided on Vermont, thank you all for the unconditional support throughout this process!

Congrats. Vermont is a very gorgeous state! Enjoy the winter wonderland. :)

On 3/31/2018 at 8:33 AM, LeeLeeCzechIrish said:

Officially going to UConn! Thanks all, for going through the process with me-it definitely helped!!

Congrats! It's a very friendly program!

On 3/31/2018 at 2:11 PM, Crow T. Robot said:

Officially committed to Stanford Modern Thought and Literature!!! See you around campus, @FreakyFoucault!

Both of you are going to take the department by storm. It has been a pleasure reading both of your posts. :)

Edited by Warelin