Oh, The Places You'll Go! (Decisions 2018)

Umm... is anyone else STILL struggling to make a decision?? And, kind of freaking out?? I love Oregon State's Rhet/Comp program but am worried about their teaching load. And, I would love to live in Cincy, and everyone at the U of Cincinnati is awesome and super nice, but their stipend is on the low side. I've been offered a substantially higher stipend at Auburn and am tempted to accept because I feel like having a bit more financial security will allow me to focus on my studies more. But, on the other hand, I have a feeling that the other two programs would probably yield more opportunities? And be a better fit? 

39 minutes ago, nervousrex said:

Umm... is anyone else STILL struggling to make a decision?? And, kind of freaking out?? I love Oregon State's Rhet/Comp program but am worried about their teaching load. And, I would love to live in Cincy, and everyone at the U of Cincinnati is awesome and super nice, but their stipend is on the low side. I've been offered a substantially higher stipend at Auburn and am tempted to accept because I feel like having a bit more financial security will allow me to focus on my studies more. But, on the other hand, I have a feeling that the other two programs would probably yield more opportunities? And be a better fit? 

I’m having this dilemma too! I can totally commisserate. The two offers that I’m still considering have their own pluses, which makes it hard to choose either one, so now I’ve been looking at which one can possibly give me more threats and anxieties. I think I can find happiness and opportunities anywhere, but I think it’s wise to avoid problems, esp. if you’ve already seen it coming. In your case, it looks like U of Cicinnati is the one with the potential threat, i.e. less financial security? I’m certainly not the best in making decisions (and I don’t know your entire situation either), so take this with a grain of salt. Good luck and hang in there!!

I'm officially staying at Miami of Ohio to pursue my PhD in comp/rhet! ?

I am soooo excitedddd, and I feel such a weight lifted off me now that I've decided. I feel seriously so much less stressed. This process stretched out for quite a long time because I just didn't know what I wanted... Until I did, and until I realized I already had it all along (*insert cliché feels*).  

I'm ready to start PhDing!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, klader said:

I am soooo excitedddd, and I feel such a weight lifted off me now that I've decided. I feel seriously so much less stressed. This process stretched out for quite a long time because I just didn't know what I wanted... Until I did, and until I realized I already had it all along (*insert cliché feels*).  

Congrats on making your decision! It really is one of the best feelings, isn't it?

1 hour ago, nervousrex said:

What does coursework look like at each school? What opportunities for teaching are available at each? How do you feel about living in each city? Does the average graduate student in each city live alone or with roommates? What does conference funding look like? Are there opportunities available outside of teaching? Are there enough professors with different interests in case you realize you'd like to explore something else? Are there enough classes at each university to choose from or does the cohort take the same classes?

15 minutes ago, klader said:

Congrats on making at decision!

@bigfluffybearcat thank you for your thoughts! I totally agree about minimizing stressors going into grad school (especially for those of us who have been out of school for a few years), so I think I'm going to make that jump this morning and accept where the money is. But, eek I'm so nervous that I'm going to make the wrong decision! 

I hope you are feeling refreshed after a night of (hopefully) sleep and are more clear headed to make a decision. I'm sending good vibes your way. It sounds like both of your prospects are fantastic, so take comfort in knowing that either decision will be a good one. Try to follow your gut on this one. 

Best wishes with your decision and future studies! You'll be awesome!

@Warelin Thank you! Wise words as always!

15 hours ago, nervousrex said:

If you're concerned about OSU's teaching, drop me a message: I'm finishing up my MA in lit/culture there, and I help train the incoming GTAs. I'd be happy to answer any questions! :)

51 minutes ago, northwestnative said:

If you're concerned about OSU's teaching, drop me a message: I'm finishing up my MA in lit/culture there, and I help train the incoming GTAs. I'd be happy to answer any questions! :)

Thank you--that's too kind! Unfortunately, I just accepted elsewhere, despite how much I loved OSU's program. I'm really hoping that was the right decision.... yikes. 

Oh, and congrats on finishing up your MA! Best wishes on whatever is next for you!

22 hours ago, nervousrex said:

I wish I had seen your post sooner! I visited OSU earlier this week before accepting and got to learn more about the teaching load. Now, if you've decided to move to Cincinnati, I couldn't blame you because I love Cincy B) if you chose Auburn for the financial security I wouldn't blame you for that either. Best wishes with whomever you chose!!

On 4/13/2018 at 10:30 PM, klader said:

Ahh! Yes! Congratulations on making your final decision. I know the siren call of Purdue was pretty strong there for a minute, but I'm glad you chose Miami because it sounded from your other posts that they really do offer the best and most seamless opportunities for professional development. There's a lot to be said for already having a strong support network in place, too. Congratulations!

17 hours ago, sarahchristine said:

Officially committed to Lehigh's English MA program! I'm so glad this whole process is over. Congratulations to everyone else who has decided, and good luck to those still hoping for waitlist movement tomorrow!

Congratulations! One of my MA thesis advisors did his PhD at Lehigh, and I've never heard him speak about the school in anything less than a gush.

12 hours ago, EspritHabile said:

Ahh! Yes! Congratulations on making your final decision. I know the siren call of Purdue was pretty strong there for a minute, but I'm glad you chose Miami because it sounded from your other posts that they really do offer the best and most seamless opportunities for professional development. There's a lot to be said for already having a strong support network in place, too. Congratulations!

Thank you so much! :) I'm excited. Now I just have to finish the the semester/thesis/MA/etc. 

Sorry if I missed it, but where did you end up accepting?! 

Well, my decision has been made for me. The person above me at Tennessee accepted the last offer (there were two RWL spots). So, I've been shut out this year.

I was hesitant about leaving my full time Lecturer position for a PhD during this entire process. I'm going to reflect and think about if I want to reapply next year or just be satisfied with what I have.

Good luck to everyone! 

22 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

Well, my decision has been made for me. The person above me at Tennessee accepted the last offer (there were two RWL spots). So, I've been shut out this year.

I was hesitant about leaving my full time Lecturer position for a PhD during this entire process. I'm going to reflect and think about if I want to reapply next year or just be satisfied with what I have.

Good luck to everyone! 

I'm sorry to hear that.If you do wind up applying next cycle, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help you in whatever you'd like help in. :)

On 3/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, EspritHabile said:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself  any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...B) 

Going to the place from where that person you quoted did his undergrad. :)

Dartmouth for PhD in CS.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, /pol/ said:

Accepted my offer to Johns Hopkins University for Mechanical Engineering ! :D

Congratulations! I know nothing about your field or this department, but it sounds impressive!

On 4/19/2018 at 1:45 PM, noughnough said:

Going to the place from where that person you quoted did his undergrad. :)

Dartmouth for PhD in CS.

Congratulations! In my head there are many whimsical statues around campus in honor of Dr. Seuss. Don't correct me if I'm wrong.

23 hours ago, evanmarie said:

Guys, I successfully negotiated my funding package!  Heading to UT Austin's Ph.D program in American Studies. 

The illusive negotiation! Congrats!