Fall 2019 Psychology PhD Applicants!

dancedementia

On 1/16/2019 at 4:47 PM, mhm2168 said:

For anyone waiting on Fordham's Counseling Psychology PhD program: i called today and was told it could take another 2-3 weeks before interviews are offered.

Also, for anyone applying to McGill in Montreal: I was told there wouldn't be any in-person interviews. You will be notified if you are on the short list and then will receive a call. They said not until end of Feb/early March.

Re: McGill, is this for the Counselling MA? If yes, internship or project stream? Thanks very much :) 

4 hours ago, Phia13 said:

I contacted Rutgers University. It sounds like all interviews have been extended.

Hi, could you clarify what led you to say this? Did you ask about a specific POI or interview date? I called yesterday and was told they'd still take a while to review all the apps. 

Just now, 21ny14 said:

Hi, could you clarify what led you to say this? Did you ask about a specific POI or interview date? I called yesterday and was told they'd still take a while to review all the apps. 

Hi, I called the psychology department and asked whether all interview invites for the clinical psych phd program have already been sent out. The person I talked to confirmed. I'm glad to hear that you have received conflicting information though. Sorry for the confusion!

1 hour ago, Phia13 said:

Hi, I called the psychology department and asked whether all interview invites for the clinical psych phd program have already been sent out. The person I talked to confirmed. I'm glad to hear that you have received conflicting information though. Sorry for the confusion!

what number did you dial? do you know who you spoke to? Rutgers itself is very confusing, so no worries.

Oh jeez, my nerves! Just got an email from UC Irvine.... first excitement (maybe its an invite), then dread and near vomit (its probably a rejection), then I realized it was just a generic notification acknowledging my application. You are cruel Irvine, that's just cruel... lol Anyone else holding their breath on Irvine?

19 minutes ago, 21ny14 said:

what number did you dial? do you know who you spoke to? Rutgers itself is very confusing, so no worries.

I called the Graduate and Professional Admissions Office and they transferred me to the Psych Department. I don't recall the name of the person I talked to. 

1 hour ago, olddognewtricks said:

Oh jeez, my nerves! Just got an email from UC Irvine.... first excitement (maybe its an invite), then dread and near vomit (its probably a rejection), then I realized it was just a generic notification acknowledging my application. You are cruel Irvine, that's just cruel... lol Anyone else holding their breath on Irvine?

EXACT SAME REACTION, i read it like 10 times to make sure i didn't miss anything... I am still hoping for them to give me a chance, good luck to you as well!

I finally got another invitation! It’s not for psychology, my interests are about children and media, and it’s for a top Communications phd program. So excited! I wanted to share here since this is where I’ve done most of my posting. No interview first and I didn’t contact my POI before applying, so there’s still hope for those of you in the same boat.

Hi all, wondering if anyone has had experience interviewing with multiple potential POIs on interview day. I've been asked to interview with two potential mentors at one of my top choice programs, both of which I mentioned in my personal statement. In this case, the tricky part is they have somewhat divergent research interests (but both are in the field of Child Clinical Psychology broadly), so I'm not quite sure how to tackle the interview.

Of course I want to appeal to both, but don't want to stifle my chances at being admitted to the program by trying to appeal to the research interests of both mentors simultaneously. My worry is that I'll seem scatterbrained and unfocused in my research interests if I try to "cater" to the research interests of each on interview day. (i.e., saying I hope to research x with the 1st mentor and simultaneously saying I hope to research something totally different with the other....I presume they'll speak with each other, since they're both in the same subgroup of the clinical psych department.) 

Anyone else experience this before or have a solution? This being my first application cycle and being lucky enough to snag several interview offers, I've definitely got pre-interview jitters!

•  

On 1/14/2019 at 6:36 PM, soparanoid said:

Hey! I applied to Yale too (non-Clinical) and am desperate to hear back. The result search freaked me out once I saw that several people had already heard back. Wondering if I should still be hopeful or not. 

Yes me too! Since the interview day is Jan 28, maybe they've already sent out all the invitations. Have you talked with you POI before?

I really think they need to add a feedback part... If I applied, no interview, no more notifications, no feedback, I feel like I am just giving money to them....

18 minutes ago, FlowerdanceShirley said:

Yes me too! Since the interview day is Jan 28, maybe they've already sent out all the invitations. Have you talked with you POI before?

I really think they need to add a feedback part... If I applied, no interview, no more notifications, no feedback, I feel like I am just giving money to them....

I know someone who had a Skype interview (non-clinical) awhile ago and was later informed they wouldn’t be getting an invitation. I don’t know if that occurred when the invitations went out though.

29 minutes ago, Clinical_PhD said:

Hi all, wondering if anyone has had experience interviewing with multiple potential POIs on interview day. I've been asked to interview with two potential mentors at one of my top choice programs, both of which I mentioned in my personal statement. In this case, the tricky part is they have somewhat divergent research interests (but both are in the field of Child Clinical Psychology broadly), so I'm not quite sure how to tackle the interview.

Of course I want to appeal to both, but don't want to stifle my chances at being admitted to the program by trying to appeal to the research interests of both mentors simultaneously. My worry is that I'll seem scatterbrained and unfocused in my research interests if I try to "cater" to the research interests of each on interview day. (i.e., saying I hope to research x with the 1st mentor and simultaneously saying I hope to research something totally different with the other....I presume they'll speak with each other, since they're both in the same subgroup of the clinical psych department.) 

Anyone else experience this before or have a solution? This being my first application cycle and being lucky enough to snag several interview offers, I've definitely got pre-interview jitters!

I think you should just be straightforward about your interests! If you mentioned both POIs, your research interests probably connect the two seemingly different areas. Perhaps it is best to start your answers with a general statement of your research interests in which both areas connect/are mentioned, and follow up with something like "If I were to be given the opportunity to work with you, I would like to pursue..." and cater to each POI that way.

However, you should probably talk to your mentor about how to handle the situation. They may have another (much better) suggestion! Good luck :)

9 hours ago, paraent said:

ugh i just got an interview invite from upenn addressed to someone else
this week is really showing me no mercy

I quit

Oh jk just saw it was intended for you. HECK YEAH!

Edited by gottagetthedata

2 hours ago, Clinical_PhD said:

•  

I’ve been in this situation just with the various same-school skype interviews I’ve had. My strategy has been to be honest about your interests, but also be ready to talk about what interests you about the interviewer’s work and maybe parallels between your interests in theirs. 

Edited by paraent