2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

On 2/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, hannahjennifer said:

I would love to discuss it but i don't know much about it either

Hi, I am a student in the MScPH program at McGill, feel free to ask me questions! Compared to other MPH programs, McGill's MScPH is very rigorous in epidemiology and quantitative methods, it's essentially an MScPH with specialization in epidemiology. During the first year, you'll be taking the same courses (and more) as the MSc epi students. That was a huge plus for me, since I wanted to do a more epi-focused practicum in the summer.

3 hours ago, bread123 said:

Hi, I am a student in the MScPH program at McGill, feel free to ask me questions! Compared to other MPH programs, McGill's MScPH is very rigorous in epidemiology and quantitative methods, it's essentially an MScPH with specialization in epidemiology. During the first year, you'll be taking the same courses (and more) as the MSc epi students. That was a huge plus for me, since I wanted to do a more epi-focused practicum in the summer.

Hi thanks so much! I am a bit concerned about the heavy focus on epidemiology. I have taken stats courses, but it has been a while and I have forgotten a lot! Should I try to review statistics before the program or does the program have a lot of review? I was also wondering how large the program is? And what is the average week like? Are there many class hours? 

28 minutes ago, hannahjennifer said:

Hi thanks so much! I am a bit concerned about the heavy focus on epidemiology. I have taken stats courses, but it has been a while and I have forgotten a lot! Should I try to review statistics before the program or does the program have a lot of review? I was also wondering how large the program is? And what is the average week like? Are there many class hours? 

Hey! I don't know the program at McGill so hopefully someone else can answer your question, but about the stats refresher:

SFU recommends this free online course for people who have taken statistics but need a refresher - https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-statistics--st101 

There are also some cool free courses on http://coursera.org , some even are statistics specifically for Public Health! 

37 minutes ago, car. said:

Hey! I don't know the program at McGill so hopefully someone else can answer your question, but about the stats refresher:

SFU recommends this free online course for people who have taken statistics but need a refresher - https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-statistics--st101 

There are also some cool free courses on http://coursera.org , some even are statistics specifically for Public Health! 

Thanks so much! I will definitely look into these! 

On 3/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, Dr Dee said:

hi guys, i have noticed that a lot of people here did not apply to U of M MPH program. please is there anything wrong with the school or program?

i actually applied for the PgD for U of M

3 hours ago, Loveleen said:

any update from Lakehead , Guelph or Victoria?

My application status at Lakehead is ' under review' they sent me this email yesterday.

We're so happy that you've applied to Lakehead University. You've made a great choice. For over 50 years, Lakehead University has welcomed international students from around the world, and we look forward to you being one of them.

Although the beginning of the school year is still several months away, it's not too early to explore your new university community, one with globally-recognized and renowned academic programs that are delivered in smaller, more intimate and engaging learning environments.

Enjoy this video for a preview of where you will live, learn and make new, long-lasting connections. Thank you for taking the first step in expanding your horizons. Prepare to experience the Lakehead difference – A Truly Canadian Experience.

6 hours ago, Emilia Marie said:

My application status at Lakehead is ' under review' they sent me this email yesterday.

We're so happy that you've applied to Lakehead University. You've made a great choice. For over 50 years, Lakehead University has welcomed international students from around the world, and we look forward to you being one of them.

Although the beginning of the school year is still several months away, it's not too early to explore your new university community, one with globally-recognized and renowned academic programs that are delivered in smaller, more intimate and engaging learning environments.

Enjoy this video for a preview of where you will live, learn and make new, long-lasting connections. Thank you for taking the first step in expanding your horizons. Prepare to experience the Lakehead difference – A Truly Canadian Experience.

yes evn i got this similar email... its seems a random msg

On 2/28/2019 at 9:07 AM, bve5 said:

Does anyone know approximately when Western and Queen's will start sending out offers? 

I got an offer from Western University 4 days ago. I'm an international student.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:18 PM, Doma said:

Hi, were you not required to mail copies of official transcripts with your initial application? Maybe I was mistaken, but it said on their website that part of the required documents is to mail 2 hard copies of official transcripts. 

I was wondering the same thing. I sent my official transcripts right after I submitted the online application. I still did not see any check mark next to Step 4 in the online application but they emailed me and said they had received my transcripts. Haven't heard anything from them since, I really had my finger crossed for SFU :(

2 hours ago, Emilia Marie said:

I wonder when they will start notifying people . Have not heard back from saskatchewan and alberta

The deadline to accept offers for both Alberta and Saskatchewan was March 1. Now that that's passed they'll probably start sending out more letters!

Best of luck to everyone!

10 hours ago, sidcure said:

i actually applied for the PgD for U of M

have you gotten any response from them?  the last email i got from them was about housing. did you get it too?

1 hour ago, Dr Dee said:

have you gotten any response from them?  the last email i got from them was about housing. did you get it too?

I haven't gotten an email about housing but on the portal, it says its under review by the department

1 hour ago, sidcure said:

I haven't gotten an email about housing but on the portal, it says its under review by the department

ok, mine also still says under review by the department. 

13 hours ago, Emilia Marie said:

I wonder when they will start notifying people . Have not heard back from saskatchewan and alberta

I heard from both alberta ( Rejected) and saskatchewan...( accepeted)

13 hours ago, dknyy18897 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I sent my official transcripts right after I submitted the online application. I still did not see any check mark next to Step 4 in the online application but they emailed me and said they had received my transcripts. Haven't heard anything from them since, I really had my finger crossed for SFU :(

I applied at SFU, too. Haven’t heard back from them. 

I did some backreading from MPH Canada 2018 thread and SFU only started notifying applicants late March to mid April. 

56 minutes ago, joyinvancouver said:

I applied at SFU, too. Haven’t heard back from them. 

I did some backreading from MPH Canada 2018 thread and SFU only started notifying applicants late March to mid April. 

Best of luck! :) I keep checking the online system myself. Nothing has changed. The only reassurance is that when I click "Continue an Application" under Step 1 it says Submitted, so I just hope one day that will hopefully change for the good! Fingers crossed for you :) 

On 3/2/2019 at 1:00 PM, hannahjennifer said:

This is based on my experience, things could change next year. Last year, the MScPH cohort was around 35. This year, we're 55.

The inferential stats prof taught a lot of the concepts from undergrad in much more detail so I was able to relearn them fairly quickly. We also had a lot of assignments (which were worth more than the exams) and those were really helpful in understanding the concepts. Our prof wanted all of our assignments to be done on R Markdown, so there was a steep learning curve for R at the beginning of the semester. The statistical software class (EPIB613) gave us a good foundation of R and it was a pass or fail class. Some of my classmates never took a stats course before and they did just fine! Some people in my class participated in a 1-week stats bootcamp in August, but I am not sure how you can register. 

First semester: PPHS602 (3h), EPIB607 (4h),  EPIB601 (4h), EPIB613 (1.5h), Forum (1.5h), Tuesdays off
Second semester: EPIB621 (4h), EPIB603 (3h + 1.5h lab), PPHS612 (3h), EPIB605 (2h), Forum (1.5h), Fridays off

Even though the timetable may not look that busy, it was busy. The program starts full force with assignments and quizzes. We had 2-3 things due every week. Most of the breaks between classes are spent working on assignments with friends. I found the workload for inferential stats to be the heaviest (I spent 5-10h/assignment, 1-3h/reading+quiz), maybe because it was a new prof? So the average week consists of going to lectures/practicum sessions, and working on assignments or quizzes during your free time. The program is very rigorous, but you will learn a lot :)

14 hours ago, Dr Dee said:

hey,

I also got tht housing email..i guess its a new random  thing all univ r sending 

I have not heard back from SFU either for the MPH. *fingers crossed* When I inquired late last year about early admission the lady I spoke with with in the department advised they do not do early admission, but that acceptance letters should start going out within the first two weeks of March. Hoping this is true because the waiting game is tough!?