2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

16 hours ago, bread123 said:

This is based on my experience, things could change next year. Last year, the MScPH cohort was around 35. This year, we're 55.

The inferential stats prof taught a lot of the concepts from undergrad in much more detail so I was able to relearn them fairly quickly. We also had a lot of assignments (which were worth more than the exams) and those were really helpful in understanding the concepts. Our prof wanted all of our assignments to be done on R Markdown, so there was a steep learning curve for R at the beginning of the semester. The statistical software class (EPIB613) gave us a good foundation of R and it was a pass or fail class. Some of my classmates never took a stats course before and they did just fine! Some people in my class participated in a 1-week stats bootcamp in August, but I am not sure how you can register. 

First semester: PPHS602 (3h), EPIB607 (4h),  EPIB601 (4h), EPIB613 (1.5h), Forum (1.5h), Tuesdays off
Second semester: EPIB621 (4h), EPIB603 (3h + 1.5h lab), PPHS612 (3h), EPIB605 (2h), Forum (1.5h), Fridays off

Even though the timetable may not look that busy, it was busy. The program starts full force with assignments and quizzes. We had 2-3 things due every week. Most of the breaks between classes are spent working on assignments with friends. I found the workload for inferential stats to be the heaviest (I spent 5-10h/assignment, 1-3h/reading+quiz), maybe because it was a new prof? So the average week consists of going to lectures/practicum sessions, and working on assignments or quizzes during your free time. The program is very rigorous, but you will learn a lot :)

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! this is very helpful! 

Hi Guys, 

I'm new on this forum and I had a couple of questions regarding the admission requirements. I'll be applying for fall 2020 as an international student.. Some of the universities mention a mandatory undergraduate stats course, is that also for international students? or will taking the GRE be a suitable alternative?

I'm not able to get a clear idea from the university websites, so any info would be much appreciated!

16 minutes ago, dentist09 said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm new on this forum and I had a couple of questions regarding the admission requirements. I'll be applying for fall 2020 as an international student.. Some of the universities mention a mandatory undergraduate stats course, is that also for international students? or will taking the GRE be a suitable alternative?

I'm not able to get a clear idea from the university websites, so any info would be much appreciated!

Call the schools and ask.

Additionally, the GRE does not test statistical knowledge whatsoever.

So I applied to University of Ontario Institute of technology for MSc community health and I've not seen a second person who did that.  Is uoit a crappy school? Any bad reviews? Even though I have not gotten a response yet I'm still a bit skeptical about it

After hearing on January 30th that I was rejected from the University of Saskatchewan MPH program, I received an email today that a spot had opened up and I have been accepted! I was never notified about being on a waitlist or anything so I assumed that the response I got in January was a final decision.

If it was someone on this forum who recently turned down their offer, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

42 minutes ago, jt2013 said:

After hearing on January 30th that I was rejected from the University of Saskatchewan MPH program, I received an email today that a spot had opened up and I have been accepted! I was never notified about being on a waitlist or anything so I assumed that the response I got in January was a final decision.

If it was someone on this forum who recently turned down their offer, thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Wow you are so lucky. I wish I were as luck as you ?

2 hours ago, jt2013 said:

Congratulations... lucky you.

Can you pls share Ur profile.

I haven't heard anything from usask till date.

5 hours ago, jt2013 said:

Are you an international or domestic applicant? Whats your profile? I submitted my application November last year for the MPH program and the last referee submitted the reference on 14th January, my application is still 'complete ready for review'. I am an international applicant. I am really worried.

13 hours ago, dentist09 said:

Hi Guys, 

Hey, yes it is for international students too. I’m from the US and I applied to SFU where they stated in their MPH program page that they required the stats course for anyone applying, including international students. It did not state whether you could substitute the stats course for the GRE and I did not see the GRE even mentioned anywhere on the MPH/MsC program pages. I would suggest giving them a call though and confirming because you never know what they might say! To be safe though I would also complete a stats course, they have more info here:

https://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/fhs/future-students/graduate/documents/Statistics course recommendations for MPH students Fall 2018 entry.pdf

So I applied to University of Ontario Institute of technology for MSc community health and I've not seen a second person who did that.  Is uoit a crappy school? Any bad reviews? Even though I have not gotten a response yet I'm still a bit skeptical about it

On 3/4/2019 at 11:11 AM, joyinvancouver said:

I applied at SFU, too. Haven’t heard back from them. 

I did some backreading from MPH Canada 2018 thread and SFU only started notifying applicants late March to mid April.  

really? I was expecting it would come in March. Many schools need students to accept offer in the early April... I guess I should not wait too long or I will miss the deadline to accept other schools' admission offer

15 hours ago, jt2013 said:

omg congratssssssssssssss!! You are lucky

2 hours ago, dknyy18897 said:

really? I was expecting it would come in March. Many schools need students to accept offer in the early April... I guess I should not wait too long or I will miss the deadline to accept other schools' admission offer

I was looking over last years forum for MPH and someone got a response back from SFU on March 5, so we should be hearing back from them soon hopefully.

32 minutes ago, Mission2508 said:

I was looking over last years forum for MPH and someone got a response back from SFU on March 5, so we should be hearing back from them soon hopefully.

I emailed the program assistant for SFU MPH and they said for this year, she said "Applicants will be contacted from the end of March through to May.". 

Fingers crossed. 

6 minutes ago, londonfogg said:

I emailed the program assistant for SFU MPH and they said for this year, she said "Applicants will be contacted from the end of March through to May.". 

Fingers crossed. 

Ok the end of March. Best wishes for all of us.

20 hours ago, Mph201999 said:

Wow you are so lucky. I wish I were as luck as you ?

5 hours ago, dknyy18897 said:

omg congratssssssssssssss!! You are lucky

This could mean that if others decline their offers, they will re-evaluate more applications and you may get an acceptance as well! Don't give up yet!

18 hours ago, dentistdoc said:

Congratulations... lucky you.

Can you pls share Ur profile.

I haven't heard anything from usask till date.

15 hours ago, Emilia Marie said:

Are you an international or domestic applicant? Whats your profile? I submitted my application November last year for the MPH program and the last referee submitted the reference on 14th January, my application is still 'complete ready for review'. I am an international applicant. I am really worried.

Thank you both very much! I am a domestic applicant, out of province.

• UBC 2018 graduate, BSc microbiology with a language minor, average 77%
  • Unclassified studies at UBC 2018-2019, average 88%
  • 4+ years volunteer and work experience doing science and engineering outreach and teaching middle and high school-aged children
  • 2+ years cumulative work experience Indigenous health non-profits, government departments, and university departments
  • Made arrangements last summer with a USask professor apply for entry to the MPH thesis stream and work on a project with him (I included this on my application and in my letter of intent as well)
  • Unrelated but relevant experience: University Senate student representative, executive member of a number of clubs and course unions, 4 years of middle-management experience

I was very interested in pursuing education before I realized that I had an interest in public health, so the majority of my work and volunteer experience was teaching and mentoring high school students. I don't have a conventional profile by any means, so anything is possible! Good luck!

5 hours ago, jt2013 said:

This could mean that if others decline their offers, they will re-evaluate more applications and you may get an acceptance as well! Don't give up yet!

Thank you both very much! I am a domestic applicant, out of province.

• UBC 2018 graduate, BSc microbiology with a language minor, average 77%
  • Unclassified studies at UBC 2018-2019, average 88%
  • 4+ years volunteer and work experience doing science and engineering outreach and teaching middle and high school-aged children
  • 2+ years cumulative work experience Indigenous health non-profits, government departments, and university departments
  • Made arrangements last summer with a USask professor apply for entry to the MPH thesis stream and work on a project with him (I included this on my application and in my letter of intent as well)
  • Unrelated but relevant experience: University Senate student representative, executive member of a number of clubs and course unions, 4 years of middle-management experience

I was very interested in pursuing education before I realized that I had an interest in public health, so the majority of my work and volunteer experience was teaching and mentoring high school students. I don't have a conventional profile by any means, so anything is possible! Good luck!

Thts a good profile ...all d best for your future

On 3/3/2019 at 9:09 PM, alb83 said:

Best of luck! :) I keep checking the online system myself. Nothing has changed. The only reassurance is that when I click "Continue an Application" under Step 1 it says Submitted, so I just hope one day that will hopefully change for the good! Fingers crossed for you :) 

Thank you! Im really hoping to get into SFU!?

10 hours ago, alb83 said:

Just got an offer from UBC for the MSc PPH! :) Was not expecting it!

Congratulations! Waiting for UBC’s response as well. 

10 hours ago, londonfogg said:

Fingers crossed. 

Ah. Their admissions are so late but I think it makes sense because they fully changed their curriculum to generalized approach.

If that’s the case, I am willing to wait! ?