Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

4 minutes ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

For anyone asking about how UofT communicates their decision: they will not email to say a decision has been made, you will need to continually check back on SGS and ACORN, then wait for the official documentation to come through the physical mail. SGS will show "Decision Made", it won't actually tell you what the decision is, unfortunately (hurray for the ACORN loophole!).

For my Advanced-Standing friends, may our distress only continue for another week! I applied last year and I heard back around Feb 20th so I'm hopeful that they'll stick to this general timeline again

So much good information!

Do you remember when you got your letter? ..Or know when acceptance packages are mailed out? 

UofT advanced standing folks ... I'm sitting here knowing that somewhere in UofT land...the decision is already made and I'm soon to hear about it, in a few days. THE ANXIETY. I'M FEELING TOO MANY FEELINGS.

21 minutes ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

For anyone asking about how UofT communicates their decision: they will not email to say a decision has been made, you will need to continually check back on SGS and ACORN, then wait for the official documentation to come through the physical mail. SGS will show "Decision Made", it won't actually tell you what the decision is, unfortunately (hurray for the ACORN loophole!).

For my Advanced-Standing friends, may our distress only continue for another week! I applied last year and I heard back around Feb 20th so I'm hopeful that they'll stick to this general timeline again

? good to know. Thank you

16 minutes ago, FK@UofT said:

UofT advanced standing folks ... I'm sitting here knowing that somewhere in UofT land...the decision is already made and I'm soon to hear about it, in a few days. THE ANXIETY. I'M FEELING TOO MANY FEELINGS.

lol ?? I'm with you on those feelings :)

1 hour ago, FK@UofT said:

So much good information!

Do you remember when you got your letter? ..Or know when acceptance packages are mailed out? 

I remember my letter being dated Feb 20 or Feb 21 but I don't think I actually got it until March 1st because that's when I sent in my slip accepting a spot on the waitlist. I'm pretty sure that Feb 20th is when people started to see the "Invited" tag on their ACORN accounts appear. I do know that acceptance and waitlist letters were sent out at the same time

14 minutes ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

I remember my letter being dated Feb 20 or Feb 21 but I don't think I actually got it until March 1st because that's when I sent in my slip accepting a spot on the waitlist. I'm pretty sure that Feb 20th is when people started to see the "Invited" tag on their ACORN accounts appear. I do know that acceptance and waitlist letters were sent out at the same time

Thank YOU!

21 hours ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

Thank you for the info! Best of luck! :)

3 minutes ago, MSWWWW said:

Hi all, lurker here! I got accepted to Carleton last night - 2 year program for those without a BSW... woo! 

They emailed me to notify me and acceptance details are avail through Carleton Central. Best of luck to all!

CELEBRATIONS TO YOU!!!!!!! Rejoice, Rejoice!

59 minutes ago, MSWWWW said:

Hi all, lurker here! I got accepted to Carleton last night - 2 year program for those without a BSW... woo! 

They emailed me to notify me and acceptance details are avail through Carleton Central. Best of luck to all!

Congratulations!! I also was accepted to the Carleton 2 year program yesterday :) 

36 minutes ago, Canadamsw2019 said:

I’m not 100% sure yet, but they offered me a TA position so I’m definitely leaning towards yes! Are you? 

Yess def. Ottawa is ideal for me ^.^

6 hours ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

For those who were accepted to Laurier's MSW programs, did they send an official letter in the mail after sending an email of acceptance? Thanks. 

No it is an email only and then you accept on Loris. You have 30 days from the day you get the email to accept the offer.

7 hours ago, ErinCM said:

No it is an email only and then you accept on Loris. You have 30 days from the day you get the email to accept the offer.

Thank you so much for this information! I greatly appreciate it! 

5 hours ago, Giantoreo said:

Just curious, what does everyone have for their experience and gpa? 

Hello!

I applied to Laurier's and York's Advanced Standing MSW Programs. I am currently awaiting to hear whether I am accepted or declined. 

Schools/GPA: -BSW, York University (7.67 B+, almost an 80% GPA)

-SSW, Sheridan College (4.0)

Experience: 4’515 hours of volunteer, placement, and work experience with people with disabilities, children, youth, and families.

-Placements: -700-hour BSW Placement in the Employment Department of a disability agency.

-600-hour SSW Placement at a day program for adults with disabilities, dual diagnosis, and mental health.                   

-Summer Work: Provided support to children and youth with intellectual disabilities with recreational programming, volunteering/job coaching, transit training, and at summer camps.      

-Volunteering: Adult disability programs; elementary and high school classes/special education programming; childcare centre; social justice committee member; SSW alumni panel guest speaker. 

References: BSW Professor, SSW Professor, Manager of Volunteer/Student Services from a disability agency 

Written Statement: Focused on clinical and social justice practices for people with disabilities and mental health 

I'm aware that many applicants have stronger applications than mine (as they have higher GPA's and more work experience than myself), but I am hopeful that my overall application and my experiences are what they are looking for! 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019