2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

3 hours ago, Yoshi19 said:

I applied to Berkeley Biophysics. I contacted their admissions administrator last week and they said they were trying to get interview invites out by the 21st. So it could be anytime today or tomorrow. Nonetheless, I am very skeptical that I have a shot getting in. Especially coming from a nontraditional undergraduate background haha.  

I got the phone call an hour ago and an email right after. Best of luck! :)

I have applied to 11 universities and not heard from any. I’m feeling sad. I’m an international candidate.

Edited by Ayub2306
Wrong grammer

12 minutes ago, biophys123 said:

I got the phone call an hour ago and an email right after. Best of luck! :)

No call or email ?...kinda expected. I will give it another hour or two before I pull the plug on all hope. But overall, congrats! That is great!

Edited by Yoshi19

3 hours ago, sydber said:

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota MICaB or Northwestern DGP in immunology? They're the only 2 schools I'm waiting on and it appears there's been a DGP invite already (however I'm not sure if these invites are sent out based on track or not). I've been offered an interview at UChicago, but I can't accept the first weekend due to another interview and couldn't take first weekends from DGP if I were offered because of other interviews. I think I should probably just go ahead and take the UChicago second weekend interview, but I'm conflicted about taking more interviews without knowing all my options.

MiCaB has started sending out interviews; not sure if they were sent out all at once, though.

If you check the "Results" section, a few programs have sent out interviews. The molecular sciences cluster sent out a batch of invites quite early on. Someone seems to have just got one for immunology (in the biomedical cluster) 2 days ago. My labmate got an invite for cancer bio (also biomedical cluster) last week.

13 minutes ago, thezonehunk said:

MiCaB has started sending out interviews; not sure if they were sent out all at once, though.

I got the interview invite literally moments after this post I guess I just need to be more patient. Learned from my PI whose best friend has a lab over there that they just met for the first time about apps today anyway. 

On 12/20/2018 at 2:40 PM, AcePlace said:

I have applied to 6 different programs but have not heard back anywhere yet and I am starting to get worried. I applied pretty late in the process so I'm guessing that will affect the timing of my decision, but I still hate the waiting. Reading everyone's info I feel unqualified and am doubting myself. Would anyone care to let me know if I am actually eligible for these programs or if I may not get in anywhere. 

Undergrad Institution: Mid sized state school in SE US
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry, psychology, Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.88 
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: Domestic. Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 159
W: 4.0
B: did not take

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Summer RCEU in 2016 and 2017. Work on campus in Biology and chemistry labs in testing natural products on various cancer cell lines. Second author on one paper

Internship at Biotech institute for 1.5 years doing genetic research on MAPT gene (related to AD, FTD, and PD). Presented poster at SEND conference in Orlando

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Deans List, Honors College, Student Athlete scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

TA for intro biology for 1.5 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Student Athlete? Not sure if that holds any weight or not

Applying to Where:

UAB, Vanderbilt, Duke, Mayo Clinic, UT Austin, WashU

All neuroscience PhD

Is this enough? Surely ~someone~ will take me, right? 

I've just seen a lot more qualified people applying to the same programs and I'm worried. 

Mayo Clinic neuro already sent out decisions!

On 12/20/2018 at 6:09 PM, ray92 said:

Anybody here from UW- Madison or University of Washington  for computer science?

Wrong thread, this is biology! I'll second the schools though; anybody heard from UWashington microbiology? I've only seen one person on the results page.

8 hours ago, aspiringscientist said:

Has anyone who did an online interview with Caltech Biology hear anything? I think it was a pre-screen for an on campus interview - has anyone gotten an invitation for that?

I just got an email from them! Interview is Jan 30 - Feb 3

8 hours ago, MMM7 said:

Hi, so I've started to get more interview invitations than I anticipated, and I was wondering how many interviews people typically go to?

Right now I have UNC, Duke, Utah and St. Jude scheduled. But I got news from Wisconsin yesterday, rejected from CMB but interview with Genetics. CMB was my preference. (for people who are familiar with UW Madison, does this make a huge difference?)

Also, I am still waiting on Vanderbilt IGP and UT southwestern which would be schools I would like to interview at.

I guess what I'm saying is how many should I go to?/ what is reasonable?

Vanderbilt IGP contacted me yesterday for an interview. Not sure if you heard from them today? I'm not sure how many more rounds of interview invites they will send out, mine was the third or fourth I think. I also have UNC BBSP as well! Maybe we'll see each other.

I would look at the programs and decide if that program really focuses on what you want. Some programs focus on specific areas that may or may not interest you. Remember that most of these programs should be covering all of your costs, including driving or flying. It really is going to boil down to how interested in programs are you? Such as, do you have one program that you would be happy with a vast majority of PI's or only two or three? I'd pick the program where I had more opportunities, as some professors may not be accepting students. My worst nightmare would be picking a program where I had no options but a PI I was not really interested in.

As far as UW goes, if I got my preference program at another school I would not attend. 

On 12/20/2018 at 2:40 PM, AcePlace said:

I have applied to 6 different programs but have not heard back anywhere yet and I am starting to get worried. I applied pretty late in the process so I'm guessing that will affect the timing of my decision, but I still hate the waiting. Reading everyone's info I feel unqualified and am doubting myself. Would anyone care to let me know if I am actually eligible for these programs or if I may not get in anywhere. 

Undergrad Institution: Mid sized state school in SE US
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry, psychology, Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.88 
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: Domestic. Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 159
W: 4.0
B: did not take

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Summer RCEU in 2016 and 2017. Work on campus in Biology and chemistry labs in testing natural products on various cancer cell lines. Second author on one paper

Internship at Biotech institute for 1.5 years doing genetic research on MAPT gene (related to AD, FTD, and PD). Presented poster at SEND conference in Orlando

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Deans List, Honors College, Student Athlete scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

TA for intro biology for 1.5 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Student Athlete? Not sure if that holds any weight or not

Applying to Where:

UAB, Vanderbilt, Duke, Mayo Clinic, UT Austin, WashU 

All neuroscience PhD

Is this enough? Surely ~someone~ will take me, right? 

I've just seen a lot more qualified people applying to the same programs and I'm worried. 

Hey girl! Don't sweat that you haven't heard from anywhere. I applied to UAB too and my application doesn't even close until Dec 31st so maybe yours is the same? Your GPA is good, you've got solid research experience, you're a student athlete and were a TA. Those are all great things. (When did you sleep? haha!)

I heard back from Vandy's IGP program yesterday. Most of these schools are reviewing applicants in small batches, so I wouldn't freak out yet. Vanderbilt alone fielded over 1,100 apps this year for IGP, it takes time to go through those apps. I'm sure all of the other schools are dealing with a high volume of applications and getting through them can be time consuming. Plus, Christmas is coming up and NYE. Some professors on review committees may be really busy and not be able to dedicate a ton of time to reviewing apps etc. Seriously, you've got a solid resume so don't doubt yourself! I would only start worrying if you don't hear from any programs by late feb-early March. Most schools send out final decisions for applicants in Mid March and most interviews are completed by then as well.

Best of luck! Please let me know if you hear from Vandy and if you get an interview, what weekend you pick. We may be on the same weekend!

4 minutes ago, ClayR said:

Anybody with some insider info on whether Caltech is done sending interview invites? Didn’t get an online interview either... lolz

I did an online interview last week which I think was a pre-screen. Got the official on-site invite today. 

13 hours ago, DRMF said:

If you check the "Results" section, a few programs have sent out interviews. The molecular sciences cluster sent out a batch of invites quite early on. Someone seems to have just got one for immunology (in the biomedical cluster) 2 days ago. My labmate got an invite for cancer bio (also biomedical cluster) last week.

Oh! I’m hoping for an invite too though I’m an international applicant. Let’s hope for the best.

14 hours ago, cidmeister said:

Hey girl! Don't sweat that you haven't heard from anywhere. I applied to UAB too and my application doesn't even close until Dec 31st so maybe yours is the same? Your GPA is good, you've got solid research experience, you're a student athlete and were a TA. Those are all great things. (When did you sleep? haha!)

I heard back from Vandy's IGP program yesterday. Most of these schools are reviewing applicants in small batches, so I wouldn't freak out yet. Vanderbilt alone fielded over 1,100 apps this year for IGP, it takes time to go through those apps. I'm sure all of the other schools are dealing with a high volume of applications and getting through them can be time consuming. Plus, Christmas is coming up and NYE. Some professors on review committees may be really busy and not be able to dedicate a ton of time to reviewing apps etc. Seriously, you've got a solid resume so don't doubt yourself! I would only start worrying if you don't hear from any programs by late feb-early March. Most schools send out final decisions for applicants in Mid March and most interviews are completed by then as well.

Best of luck! Please let me know if you hear from Vandy and if you get an interview, what weekend you pick. We may be on the same weekend!

Thanks so much! I just have a friend that already heard back from UAB, but it was a different program and like you said, the application isn't even closed yet. 

Ha! Sleep is hard to come by, but it was worth it haha 

I would love to get into Vandy, but I'll be patient haha and I will update if I hear from them! 

The waiting game is just killer. But I don't expect to hear anything over the next week or so so I will try to put it out of my mind until after the holidays. Thanks so much for words of encouragement. I will try to stop stressing :) 

For people who have heard back from UC Davis BMCDB what are the interview dates? And does anyone know if they are still sending invites? I saw they've been calling the past few days, so holding out hope they may send more today!

Also, does anyone know whether each home area for UCLA handles invites separately? Has anyone heard from Gene Regulation if so? Or know potential dates for any biosciences interviews? 

Does anyone know Penn CAMB has sent out all the invites?

The public calendar on their web says there were two admission committee meeting on 12/12 and 12/13. 

I applied for MVP track and have not heard back yet.  Does anyone have insider information?

Thanks!