2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

5 hours ago, _kb said:

Is this the same as the Biology PhD program or the BMS program? there seems to be 3 types of bio programs for ucsd in the results page lol

uhhh I wanna say that it's the same as the Biology PhD program ( I don't think there's a Bio PhD at UCSD).

It's different from the BMS though

Did anybody who applied to UCSD BMS notice they changed the application deadline to Dec. 19? I swear that was Nov. 29 before... As someone who hasn’t gotten an interview from UCSD, I think I might just be holding out on hope. But it’s strange, does it mean anything or just a typo ?

On 12/18/2018 at 2:45 PM, curious_who said:

Really, do you know if BU PiBS sends out all invites at once though?

They do not. I called and was informed i was not supposed to get the invitation email but my application had not been reviewed yet. 

Hey guys, I got offered interviews at UCSD for the BMS and neuroscience programs. Most of my faculty of interest have appointments in both departments and I don't really have a strong preference on way or another. The only real difference for me is that the neuro interviews overlap with BU and Stanford (I won't know about those interview decisions until mid-January), while BMS has no conflicts. Should I just decline the neuro invite? Is there a reason to do both? How likely is it that I could be accepted to one but not the other, or that they might offer different levels of funding? Does anyone have any insider knowledge about either program as to any pros/cons?

I'll also add that I'm in a full-time job currently so I'm trying to minimize how much time I need to take off for these interviews.

Edited by maya123z

39 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Hey guys, I got offered interviews at UCSD for the BMS and neuroscience programs. Most of my faculty of interest have appointments in both departments and I don't really have a strong preference on way or another. The only real difference for me is that the neuro interviews overlap with BU and Stanford (I won't know about those interview decisions until mid-January), while BMS has no conflicts. Should I just decline the neuro invite? Is there a reason to do both? How likely is it that I could be accepted to one but not the other, or that they might offer different levels of funding? Does anyone have any insider knowledge about either program as to any pros/cons?

I'll also add that I'm in a full-time job currently so I'm trying to minimize how much time I need to take off for these interviews.

Hi @maya123z! So I have a friend there who is a 1st year MD/PhD student. If you want I can put you in touch. I don't know how well he can answer your question but just in case no one here can give you answers feel free to PM me!

Anyone got replies from Dartmouth MCB or UIUC MCB? I've seen on the results survey, some people have got invitations from Dartmouth since Dec 8, but in my application, it says nothing but "Submitted"

22 hours ago, biggielarges said:

I have gotten interview invites to a few places:

Penn BGS (Immunology)
Yale BBS (Micro)
UChicago BMS (Immunology)
Northwestern DGP (Immunology)
University of Washington MCB

So excited!!

U are an American citizen or not?

14 hours ago, sbaringer said:

Do you know if they sent all of them at once?

I guess they will send till late Jan. I got a mail from them saying that they have received lots of applications and they will be sending emails till late Jan. It was a general email. Also, as per the trend, they mail initially to us people and then to international candidates.

13 hours ago, Manilo said:

Does anyone knows anything about Weill Cornell Biomedical Graduate ???

I am expecting to hear from them too. I looked at last year's timline and they seem to have sent the invites on December 20th. So they might send either later today or tomorrow I guess. Fingers crossed. ?

31 minutes ago, aspiringscientist said:

Has anyone who did an online interview with Caltech Biology hear anything? I think it was a pre-screen for an on campus interview - has anyone gotten an invitation for that?

I did the online interview last Thursday, haven't heard back yet about on-campus interview. When I sent a thank you email afterwards, the admissions director told me they'd get back within 1 - 2 weeks. So could be anytime between today and the end of next week.

Hi, so I've started to get more interview invitations than I anticipated, and I was wondering how many interviews people typically go to?

Right now I have UNC, Duke, Utah and St. Jude scheduled. But I got news from Wisconsin yesterday, rejected from CMB but interview with Genetics. CMB was my preference. (for people who are familiar with UW Madison, does this make a huge difference?)

Also, I am still waiting on Vanderbilt IGP and UT southwestern which would be schools I would like to interview at.

I guess what I'm saying is how many should I go to?/ what is reasonable?

2 hours ago, biophys123 said:

Has anyone heard back from Berkeley Biophysics? They said they'd be out by mid-Dec, but I don't see anything on results page. Not sure if they're just a little later or no one who got an invite posted.

I applied to Berkeley Biophysics. I contacted their admissions administrator last week and they said they were trying to get interview invites out by the 21st. So it could be anytime today or tomorrow. Nonetheless, I am very skeptical that I have a shot getting in. Especially coming from a nontraditional undergraduate background haha.  

Edited by Yoshi19

43 minutes ago, MMM7 said:

Hi, so I've started to get more interview invitations than I anticipated, and I was wondering how many interviews people typically go to?

Right now I have UNC, Duke, Utah and St. Jude scheduled. But I got news from Wisconsin yesterday, rejected from CMB but interview with Genetics. CMB was my preference. (for people who are familiar with UW Madison, does this make a huge difference?)

Also, I am still waiting on Vanderbilt IGP and UT southwestern which would be schools I would like to interview at.

First-year at UW Madison but in a different program than CMB or Genetics.  It doesn't usually make a big difference since faculty recruit students from different programs.  There are some differences with regard to coursework requirements and possibly stipends (I didn't ask about other students' stipends though), you may be required to TA at some point, but the students in either of those programs who did rotations with me seemed happy in those programs.  I heard that the first-year Genetics students were highly encouraged to submit GRFPs and I know a couple who did.

Edited by StemCellFan

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota MICaB or Northwestern DGP in immunology? They're the only 2 schools I'm waiting on and it appears there's been a DGP invite already (however I'm not sure if these invites are sent out based on track or not). I've been offered an interview at UChicago, but I can't accept the first weekend due to another interview and couldn't take first weekends from DGP if I were offered because of other interviews. I think I should probably just go ahead and take the UChicago second weekend interview, but I'm conflicted about taking more interviews without knowing all my options.

23 minutes ago, sydber said:

Has anyone heard from University of Minnesota MICaB or Northwestern DGP in immunology? They're the only 2 schools I'm waiting on and it appears there's been a DGP invite already (however I'm not sure if these invites are sent out based on track or not). I've been offered an interview at UChicago, but I can't accept the first weekend due to another interview and couldn't take first weekends from DGP if I were offered because of other interviews. I think I should probably just go ahead and take the UChicago second weekend interview, but I'm conflicted about taking more interviews without knowing all my options.

I received an invite from the DGP in Immunology on Monday.  Do you have a preference for either the DGP or UChicago? 

2 hours ago, MMM7 said:

I also have gotten more than anticipated, and I basically am going through and trying to arrange based on preference. My top two choices for interviews (Caltech and Stanford) haven't sent their on-campus invites yet, but I do know what weekends they are so I'm leaving them open. Then taking the others in sort of rank order. Unfortunately, that has meant UCLA and Penn have openly said they cannot accommodate my schedule, and I've just declined UNC's interview offer.

It's really difficult to turn down opportunities but that's how I'm approaching it. It's impossible to fit everything if you fill every interview weekend. I'm also already accepted to a great program so I'm going purely on rank. If I didn't have that, I would probably try and take things at a nice balance with a sort of "safety" option included in the interview line-up, just in case.

10 minutes ago, biggielarges said:

I received an invite from the DGP in Immunology on Monday.  Do you have a preference for either the DGP or UChicago? 

Not particularly. My main first choices are Mayo and WUSTL (both of which I've already scheduled interviews for). UChicago has a better flow cytometry core so I'll probably go ahead and take that interview if only to see if that's a deal breaker.

29 minutes ago, aspiringscientist said:

I also have gotten more than anticipated, and I basically am going through and trying to arrange based on preference. My top two choices for interviews (Caltech and Stanford) haven't sent their on-campus invites yet, but I do know what weekends they are so I'm leaving them open. Then taking the others in sort of rank order. Unfortunately, that has meant UCLA and Penn have openly said they cannot accommodate my schedule, and I've just declined UNC's interview offer.

It's really difficult to turn down opportunities but that's how I'm approaching it. It's impossible to fit everything if you fill every interview weekend. I'm also already accepted to a great program so I'm going purely on rank. If I didn't have that, I would probably try and take things at a nice balance with a sort of "safety" option included in the interview line-up, just in case.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. Plus I've got a full-time job so missing work is definitely something I want to minimize.

I applied to 11 programs and I'm giving myself an upper limit of 7 interviews. So far I've gotten 5 invites including 2 from the same school. I'll probably decline one of the duplicates, possibly UNC as well (haven't totally decided yet though).

Edited by maya123z

I have applied to 6 different programs but have not heard back anywhere yet and I am starting to get worried. I applied pretty late in the process so I'm guessing that will affect the timing of my decision, but I still hate the waiting. Reading everyone's info I feel unqualified and am doubting myself. Would anyone care to let me know if I am actually eligible for these programs or if I may not get in anywhere. 

Undergrad Institution: Mid sized state school in SE US
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry, psychology, Spanish
GPA in Major: 3.88 
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Not sure
Type of Student: Domestic. Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 159
W: 4.0
B: did not take

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Summer RCEU in 2016 and 2017. Work on campus in Biology and chemistry labs in testing natural products on various cancer cell lines. Second author on one paper

Internship at Biotech institute for 1.5 years doing genetic research on MAPT gene (related to AD, FTD, and PD). Presented poster at SEND conference in Orlando

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Deans List, Honors College, Student Athlete scholar

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

TA for intro biology for 1.5 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Student Athlete? Not sure if that holds any weight or not

Applying to Where:

UAB, Vanderbilt, Duke, Mayo Clinic, UT Austin, WashU 

All neuroscience PhD

Is this enough? Surely ~someone~ will take me, right? 

I've just seen a lot more qualified people applying to the same programs and I'm worried.