2019 Applicants

My Hulu account keeps recommending a documentary about puppies trying to get selected for service dog training or something like that and I’m like no, even that is too much competition for me to watch rn. This process has killed my love of competition ?? and even puppies can’t help me.

22 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

My Hulu account keeps recommending a documentary about puppies trying to get selected for service dog training or something like that and I’m like no, even that is too much competition for me to watch rn. This process has killed my love of competition ?? and even puppies can’t help me.

Dude I realized this process has like temporarily made me needy towards my friends. Like all the sudden my feelings of not getting accepted morph into this weird thinking which of my friends would reject/waitlist me if they could!

3 minutes ago, Matthew3957 said:

Dude I realized this process has like temporarily made me needy towards my friends. Like all the sudden my feelings of not getting accepted morph into this weird thinking which of my friends would reject/waitlist me if they could!

Oooohhhhh you put it in words! I bet this is why I'm feeling really insecure toward my friends recently.

32 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Oooohhhhh you put it in words! I bet this is why I'm feeling really insecure toward my friends recently.

I’ve 100% been isolating myself because I’m avoiding the “of course you’ll get in” and “stopping stressing about this” commentary. Also so I can sit in front of GC and my email and refresh portals continuously...

Friends-- since the implicit Chicago acceptance was posted I've been a ball of anxiety. The rest of us didn't hear back today! Oh, the agony... 

The creeping suspicion that this is all just an anxious lead up to a big 'ol rejection, too, is such a burden on my poor little heart. ?

Edit: Minutes after sending this I went to the results page to find an acceptance with "email to check portal". Congrats to whoever received such an incredible offer! Is anyone willing to claim? Do we think that means that offers have gone out? (Me, inside: %#$*#!?%&#$%@&?!!!!!!)

Edited by bardie
Results Update

First time posting on here, maybe a little late in the game. I graduated from UNC in May 2018 with a double major in English and Classics. I didn't know I wanted to do a PhD in English until I started my senior thesis on James Baldwin and so I'm giving it my best shot--I went a little overboard and applied to 17 schools. Not sure how attractive a white guy studying James Baldwin is to admissions committees, but we'll see! I think I have pretty strong numbers but I have no idea how to evaluate the strength of my writing sample and SOP. I'm definitely starting to get pretty worried about getting shut out across the board.

Anyway, gradcafe is helping me to stay sane and also drive myself crazy so I thought I should introduce myself to everyone going through the same process!

UIUC, Vanderbilt, Emory, UPenn, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Yale, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, UGA, UNC, Boston College, UT Austin 

Rejected    Implied Rejection  Waitlisted  Interview   Accepted 

25 minutes ago, millw said:

I didn't know I wanted to do a PhD in English until I started my senior thesis on James Baldwin and so I'm giving it my best shot--I went a little overboard and applied to 17 schools. Not sure how attractive a white guy studying James Baldwin is to admissions committees, but we'll see! I think I have pretty strong numbers but I have no idea how to evaluate the strength of my writing sample and SOP. I'm definitely starting to get pretty worried about getting shut out across the board.

Welcome! I also love Baldwin. Have you seen If Beale Street Could Talk yet?? Don't get too down--you can always give it another shot next year. I feel the exact same about my writing sample and SOP though. 

i had a dream last night that the admissions process involved everyone queueing up to be publicly and loudly assessed in turn by the Admissions Committee - & to really up the intensity, we all had to bring our friends and family along with us to witness the assessment?! anyway it was very terrible and i did have a moment of relief upon waking up to realise that, no matter how grueling this process is, at the very least i don't have to stand at the head of the queue alongside my parents and brothers whilst an admissions committee calls my prose 'tepid' ? 

Edited by dangermouse

Oh now the Davis and Santa Cruz calls that I did not receive make me feel like implied rejections. Why won't they update their portals already!! 

I'm really hoping for Alberta, UCSC, and Davis to post this week.... I need some news. Also, would be nice to get the official rejection from UIUC. 

1 hour ago, placeinspace said:

Woke up to the Davis acceptance and taking it as another implied rejection, and with that, I’m officially done with this process. Good luck to the rest of you guys!! It’s been a wild ride.

Actually it looks like (to me) that Davis notifies over the period of a few days. So, I wouldn’t give up just yet!

Thoughts on this morning's surprise Chicago acceptance? Do we think this is a multi-day rollout? Does anyone want to claim it? I need to kill the last shred of hope I have left, and am struggling. ?

Congrats to whoever posted the Davis acceptance-- you are an inspiration. 

Also-- welcome to @millw. I share the same fears ?, but it is still early in the game for us. Don't count yourself out yet. 

Hi friends-- just heard from JHU admissions that I should "get a decision by next week"; I am assuming that this is for rejections as it looks like offers have already been made, but I just wanted to let everyone know that relief is coming soon. Hang in there everyone!