2019 Applicants

That University of Pittsburgh waitlist post on the results page has me SHOOK. Is it real? Is it fake? Why is there only one? Why hasn't my Pitt portal been updated? What has my life become?

Also, here's my pup - Bacardi! He's going to be 9 in May ❤️ 

IMG_5382.JPG

Edited by effietheant

4 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Has anyone heard anything from or about Minnesota?

There's very little data from previous years and what's there is all over the place. I know weather probably impacted the admissions timeline as they said they would get back by the end of January, but...

OMG it's one of my top choices and I haven't heard anything. I know that last week the university was closed because of weather, so that has probably impacted their process. I did email the department yesterday though, I will let you know if I hear anything!

10 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Has anyone heard anything from or about Minnesota?

There's very little data from previous years and what's there is all over the place. I know weather probably impacted the admissions timeline as they said they would get back by the end of January, but...

Right there with you. Not a peep but I was guessing that the school closures last week impacted it somewhat. I'd be surprised if they didn't send anything out this week.

8 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

OMG it's one of my top choices and I haven't heard anything. I know that last week the university was closed because of weather, so that has probably impacted their process. I did email the department yesterday though, I will let you know if I hear anything!

3 minutes ago, fortschritt22 said:

Right there with you. Not a peep but I was guessing that the school closures last week impacted it somewhat. I'd be surprised if they didn't send anything out this week.

Yeah, I had them on my list as one of my earliest notifiers. It just feels weird not to have heard anything--but I understand they got hit pretty hard during the PV. Understandable that they're delayed. Fingers crossed we hear back this week.

Congrats to the CU Boulder acceptance!

I hear you guys on the mentor thing. I'm really nervous to let mine know how this has all gone for me... She was so supportive and emailed quite a few of her colleagues at schools I applied to. I feel really embarrassed and kind of like I let her down. I have a couple interviews lined up, but I honestly think they're not going to go well. I've never been good at first impressions or interviews in general. Bleh. 

41 minutes ago, effietheant said:

That University of Pittsburgh waitlist post on the results page has me SHOOK. Is it real? Is it fake? Why is there only one? Why hasn't my Pitt portal been updated? What has my life become?

Sorry—I got called away at work in the middle of posting, but it’s mine. I haven’t gotten a change in my portal, but so far in this process, my portals have only changed once I’ve been notified—usually days to a week later.

They said they’d be in touch if things changed and emailed me a summary of the funding packing in case there’s movement, but no indication of standing on the list. 

4 minutes ago, arbie said:

Sorry—I got called away at work in the middle of posting, but it’s mine. I haven’t gotten a change in my portal, but so far in this process, my portals have only changed once I’ve been notified—usually days to a week later.

They said they’d be in touch if things changed and emailed me a summary of the funding packing in case there’s movement, but no indication of standing on the list. 

Thanks @arbie for the update! I was going crazy, so I really appreciate it. (I'm also in Boston, btw!)

18 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

I haven't heard anything from CU Boulder which probably means a rejection- I am honestly RELIEVED. This is the first school I've gotten a fairly definitive response on so far and man does it feel good to have something solid. 

I haven't either but it doesn't feel too great.  I really did like their program and I'm a bit anxious because my first news seems to be all negative/implied rejections, given that Vanderbilt also notified over the weekend.  And it definitely doesn't help that Starbucks Rewards Club keeps blowing up my e-mail and giving me false hope (*forced dismissive laughter*).

2 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

They must be doing them one by one- 10 minutes ago it wasn't there, but I logged in again, clicked on the application, and right at the top it said "Status Update" with a link to click, which took me to the letter.

Thank you so much.  I was going to spend these next couple of hours between classes trying to be productive, but it looks like they will be spent furiously refreshing my portal/e-mail. (Although that habit is nothing new these days!)

Congrats again on making the waitlist!

Does anyone have any experience going to open houses? Are they worth the travel? I’ve been invited to one that I’m waitlisted at and would have to take a few days off work to go. Thanks for any insight!!

@rachel11nyc I'd say if they pay for your visit  *and* you're Definitely considering them *and* you feel conflicted about choosing between programs then it's absolutely worth it to go. It's good to experience that un-qualifiable Vibe in-person before deciding on a 5+year commitment with a few select people (your professors/advisors/cohort/etc).

Mainly, it's possible that the school you think is your top choice doesn't actually *feel right* in reality, while a place you applied to cuz 'why not' might be amazing. 

Edited by pdh12

Also...sidenote...I know this gets reiterated excessively, but It's Reeeeal: if you get "shut-out" this year and Really Want that PhD, freaking keep reading & writing & learning then re-apply! 

I first applied straight-outta-undergrad, real green and weak, did a coupla MFAs, and I've so far been accepted into 4 fully-funded PhD programs!! Change is manifest!!

I just finished my Columbia interview. My interviewer basically told me that at this point they want to accept everyone they're interviewing (for my specialty, which is eighteenth-century British), but funding won't allow for that, hence the interviews. It'll likely be one, or potentially even none, of us from c18 that gets selected. In retrospect, I wish I'd spoken a bit more intelligently, made a stronger case for myself, and explained what set me apart from others. I think I'm a solid candidate, but not necessarily worthy of Columbia when I'm put up directly against others, and I'm definitely not good at interviews or first impressions. I do feel like I somewhat blew a chance at that school but I'm trying, trying, trying to remain positive and not shroud myself in negativity. I'm just happy to know I was seriously considered.

I think you guys will find this information useful: He told me I'd hear back before the 22nd, but no sooner than the 15th, since that's when the admissions committee is meeting. Hopefully that gives all of you a date to keep in mind for Columbia.

To speak to what @pdh12 said above, yes. If I get shut out this year, which is a strong possibility in all of my wide-eyed naïveté applying to ridiculously hard schools, I'll be re-applying next year. I want this badly and I feel like getting shut out will only make me a stronger applicant next year. I'm trying to remain realistic, but not pessimistic. It's a hard process.

Edited by trytostay

17 minutes ago, trytostay said:

I just finished my Columbia interview. My interviewer basically told me that at this point they want to accept everyone they're interviewing (for my specialty, which is eighteenth-century British), but funding won't allow for that, hence the interviews. It'll likely be one, or potentially even none, of us from c18 that gets selected. In retrospect, I wish I'd spoken a bit more intelligently, made a stronger case for myself, and explained what set me apart from others. I think I'm a solid candidate, but not necessarily worthy of Columbia when I'm put up directly against others, and I'm definitely not good at interviews or first impressions. I do feel like I somewhat blew a chance at that school but I'm trying, trying, trying to remain positive and not shroud myself in negativity. I'm just happy to know I was seriously considered.

I think you guys will find this information useful: He told me I'd hear back before the 22nd, but no sooner than the 15th, since that's when the admissions committee is meeting. Hopefully that gives all of you a date to keep in mind for Columbia.

To speak to what @pdh12 said above, yes. If I get shut out this year, which is a strong possibility in all of my wide-eyed naïveté applying to ridiculously hard schools, I'll be re-applying next year. I want this badly and I feel like getting shut out will only make me a stronger applicant next year. I'm trying to remain realistic, but not pessimistic. It's a hard process.

Thanks for the info! I’m not based on your comments if you were saying that they were interviewing everyone they wanted o accept or just your specialty?

21 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Thanks for the info! I’m not based on your comments if you were saying that they were interviewing everyone they wanted o accept or just your specialty?

I'd say given that no other interview requests were posted on GradCafe, they aren't only interviewing people they're considering, and that it's just for certain specialties. I think they interviewed me to rank me within the c18 applicants. I have no idea why some specialties would do this, but not others. I think it's odd that I'm the only person on GradCafe who posted about an interview request, and I don't think it's necessarily a good thing. It seems like they had some questions about me as an applicant. (In my deepest anxieties I wonder if they only offered me an interview to appease my mentor, who is active amongst the c18 community there.)

He did say that they (they = c18 faculty) are going to be making a "pitch" to the admissions committee to try and get as many slots as possible. So, I think that's how it works at Columbia: the admissions committee lets faculty from certain specialties read the top applicants' work and then those specialties explain why they want to accept the people they've interviewed (if they've interviewed); then, the admissions committee determines how many spots each specialty gets. 

Edited by trytostay

Does anyone here know about negotiating funding? One of the schools I was accepted to says "if you are interested in our program, but have received better offers from other schools, please contact ____". I assume that means they will negotiate funding? Do you think they would want to know the dollar value of other offers?

15 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Does anyone here know about negotiating funding? One of the schools I was accepted to says "if you are interested in our program, but have received better offers from other schools, please contact ____". I assume that means they will negotiate funding? Do you think they would want to know the dollar value of other offers?

I asked for money from every MA program I was accepted to. I think it’s expected. One of the programs I was accepted to offered a very large stipend so I then used that as a basis for negotiation with the others. I’m sure there are other approaches, however. In any case, they may not match the higher stipend but they will usually add quite a bit more to your original offer. 

In my opinion, I think it’s really important to negotiate for more money. After all, you’re going to be living on that stipend for a number of years. Also, as my advisor put it this morning, now that you’ve been accepted, it’s up to them to win you over. 

Edited by Sav