2019 Applicants

49 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I've got an official rejection from Northwestern and Stanford to add to my collection. However, in less entirely negative and more unknown and mixed feelings territory, I got accepted to Wisconsin's Afro-American Studies MA. I applied both to the MA and English PhD as part of their Bridge program but have not heard back from the English program, so I have them as an implied rejection. I'm not sure what to make of this right now. The letter (which was dated January 25th?) made no mention of funding whatsoever, it just said that the official letter from the graduate school was pending. I've contacted them to see if I can figure out if there is funding or not, but assuming I was only accepted to the MA and not to both, I kind of assume there's none. So I'm waiting to hear back so I can figure out what I think about this.

Whoever posted the acceptance on the board, uhm, hit me up? That post said no funding, so I'd love to compare notes.

I believe Wisconsin is planning to send out funding info sometime mid-February. I was accepted into their rhet/comp PhD program with a similar note that said "later in February, we will send you an official letter informing you of your admission and describing your financial support package in detail." I'm not sure if/how they typically fund their MAs, but it sounds like they are still sorting out how their money will get spread around through funding so I'd hold tight and keep my fingers crossed :)

Edited by Pnwonder
specifying which program mentioned

2 minutes ago, Pnwonder said:

I believe Wisconsin is planning to send out funding info sometime mid-February. I was accepted into their rhet/comp program with a similar note that said "later in February, we will send you an official letter informing you of your admission and describing your financial support package in detail." I'm not sure if/how they typically fund their MAs, but it sounds like they are still sorting out how their money will get spread around through funding so I'd hold tight and keep my fingers crossed :)

I got a letter from DGS saying that they have t been able to extend any fellowship offers! They did say that they hope to have aid available once funding comes through. 

5 minutes ago, spectrum-in said:

I got a letter from DGS saying that they have t been able to extend any fellowship offers! They did say that they hope to have aid available once funding comes through. 

Could you elaborate? Which DGS and what/where/when is funding coming?

10 minutes ago, Pnwonder said:

I believe Wisconsin is planning to send out funding info sometime mid-February. I was accepted into their rhet/comp program with a similar note that said "later in February, we will send you an official letter informing you of your admission and describing your financial support package in detail." I'm not sure if/how they typically fund their MAs, but it sounds like they are still sorting out how their money will get spread around through funding so I'd hold tight and keep my fingers crossed :)

Thank you. My letter made no mention of funding at all, so I dunno if we’re in the same boat, but I guess we’ll see.

Would anyone else be willing to wait 1-2 weeks longer and then just have a definitive date for when admissions decisions are released (and all decisions--acceptances, waitlists, and rejections!)? Maybe it's just because I've yet to hear a peep from any of my schools, but I do wish I had a specific date to check. 

Ran into my advisor after some meetings on campus today. She asked me for an update and I told her today was a double whammy rejection, and she hugged me and said "They were wrong." Encouraged me that she thinks I'm likely to get in to at least one place, and that it only takes one acceptance. Also said that it took her two tries to get accepted, and she ended up fully funded at Berkeley. 

Maybe she's giving me false optimism, but it felt good to be believed in. I've been weirdly feeling sort of ashamed or like I'm a disappointment for having been rejected? I know the pools were small and selective, and I was aiming really high, but it's hard not to let the negative self-talk take over. It felt really nice to know that she doesn't think less of me or is disappointed in me for being rejected.

4 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Would anyone else be willing to wait 1-2 weeks longer and then just have a definitive date for when admissions decisions are released (and all decisions--acceptances, waitlists, and rejections!)? Maybe it's just because I've yet to hear a peep from any of my schools, but I do wish I had a specific date to check. 

I’m in the same boat as you and while this would indeed be a good idea, it also wouldn’t give me a direction for my anxiety every day (aka frantically refreshing portals and email), so I’m torn.

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Maybe she's giving me false optimism, but it felt good to be believed in. I've been weirdly feeling sort of ashamed or like I'm a disappointment for having been rejected? I know the pools were small and selective, and I was aiming really high, but it's hard not to let the negative self-talk take over. It felt really nice to know that she doesn't think less of me or is disappointed in me for being rejected.

If I'm shutout the one thing I'm dreading the most is telling my letter writers. I know they've gone through it with other students before and know this is a possibility, but still! 

This conversation would be really reassuring for me, too.

26 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Ran into my advisor after some meetings on campus today. She asked me for an update and I told her today was a double whammy rejection, and she hugged me and said "They were wrong." Encouraged me that she thinks I'm likely to get in to at least one place, and that it only takes one acceptance. Also said that it took her two tries to get accepted, and she ended up fully funded at Berkeley. 

I emailed my main advisor and favorite person about being on the funding waitlist at Nebraska and she said “hopefully those dumb butts will realize quickly you are the one to invest in.”

Maybe going to print and frame it...

50 minutes ago, sugilite said:

If I'm shutout the one thing I'm dreading the most is telling my letter writers. I know they've gone through it with other students before and know this is a possibility, but still! 

Thissssss. I feel like I'd be telling them they wasted their time and belief in me. And then I'd find it really hard to ask again next year...

32 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I emailed my main advisor and favorite person about being on the funding waitlist at Nebraska and she said “hopefully those dumb butts will realize quickly you are the one to invest in.”

Maybe going to print and frame it...

!!! This is the energy we want going into decision month. The other big mood I'm going for is that I just cleared out my email so I have NO unread messages! Nothing sitting there, bugging me, waiting to be responded to. Feeling better already.

hi! longtime lurker here. also lurked years ago, when I applied for fall 2014 MFAs... thought I'd see if joining in makes me more/less anxious! 

belated congrats to everyone accepted, waitlisted, hopeful, here!!!!

rejected from Stanford today, no surprise there. 

any Irvine acceptees here?? had an interview/conversation (?) with DGS last week -- on pins and needles waiting to see how it turns out! 

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

This!! It was so hard for me to break the news of my first rejection to my mentor, given that he's been nothing but encouraging throughout the process. But he was kind enough to remind me of all the unknowable factors that are in play in the admissions process -- and of the fact that this sort of randomness of chance will only continue to plague us even, and especially, in the job market -- so I suppose that helped to ease my feelings of guilt and disappointment. (Then he told me to get off this forum, but there's no chance that's happening -- not with all the dog pics and memes anyway.) 

i'm applying to a few english mas that have late deadlines (for backup) and i had re-tooled my sop for the english programs i did apply to already but i feel a little lost changing up the statement again to fit a master's program. does anyone have any advice ?