2019 Applicants

@Bopie5 Really sorry to hear all the rejections on your end :( I'm waiting on a bunch (Buffalo's up in the air) so I feel unqualified to say all of this but when it comes to figuring out interests, what absolutely helped me was a gap year. It's a bit more risky applying without an MA at hand, I only felt far more confident about what specifically I wanted to study and what kind of lines of thinking that I want to bring into a graduate program after all my undergraduate work was done. By the time I graduated with my BA in June, I had the exact kind of CV and research experience that I felt far more proud of showing to a program versus applying while in senior year, when I didn't have a single presentation or published paper to my name.

There's def some give and takes, but I found the SoP far more refreshing to write without having school on my chest all the time and I felt I had a greater focus on my work because I had a few months to get away from scholarship. Thus, I was able to return to my research with what I felt were fresher and more critical eyes than I had while writing it. However, during the gap year, I really and absolutely missed school, so if you can find some work to help offset the app fees, the better. And ofc, if you feel you'd be a far better scholar with a Master's degree, definitely take a look at funded MAs. That's the one regret I have this cycle, I'm applying only to PhDs but blanked at looking at terminal Master's programs.

Edited by Ranmaag

18 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

Chicago added a "decisions documents" folder at the bottom. i cried for "there is nothing posted"

Saaaaaaaaaaaaame. I was so scared to open it at first. Then it said it was empty. womp womp. I guess they're about to roll out their rejection emails.

9 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

haha I'm sitting at work right now, on grad cafe, checking my portals every few minutes, checking the results page, posting here... in an office I share with two of my superiors, just kinda hoping they keep their backs turned. my standards for basic decency slide lower every day of waiting.

Same!!! Very little decency left ?

5 hours ago, Ranmaag said:

Really sorry to hear all the rejections on your end :( I'm waiting on a bunch (Buffalo's up in the air) so I feel unqualified to say all of this but when it comes to figuring out interests, what absolutely helped me was a gap year. It's a bit more risky applying without an MA at hand, I only felt far more confident about what specifically I wanted to study and what kind of lines of thinking that I want to bring into a graduate program after all my undergraduate work was done. By the time I graduated with my BA in June, I had the exact kind of CV and research experience that I felt far more proud of showing to a program versus applying while in senior year, when I didn't have a single presentation or published paper to my name.

There's def some give and takes, but I found the SoP far more refreshing to write without having school on my chest all the time and I felt I had a greater focus on my work because I had a few months to get away from scholarship. Thus, I was able to return to my research with what I felt were fresher and more critical eyes than I had while writing it. However, during the gap year, I really and absolutely missed school, so if you can find some work to help offset the app fees, the better. And ofc, if you feel you'd be a far better scholar with a Master's degree, definitely take a look at funded MAs. That's the one regret I have this cycle, I'm applying only to PhDs but blanked at looking at terminal Master's programs.

Thank you so much! That all is really encouraging to hear. I definitely agree about the development of my CV, I'm working on getting my first academic publication--we'll see if it turns out. Fingers crossed.

I applied to grad school while working 2 jobs, taking a full courseload, having a student leadership position, having a second lead role in a play, and researching an independent senior honors thesis. I can't imagine how nice it would be to have a few months away from scholarship, and to not have school and other obligations pressing on me. Thanks for the encouragement--it's easy to feel like there's nothing other than the apps and decisions, and this makes me remember I have a life and value and a personhood outside of this.

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

I applied to grad school while working 2 jobs, taking a full courseload, having a student leadership position, having a second lead role in a play, and researching an independent senior honors thesis. I can't imagine how nice it would be to have a few months away from scholarship, and to not have school and other obligations pressing on me. Thanks for the encouragement--it's easy to feel like there's nothing other than the apps and decisions, and this makes me remember I have a life and value and a personhood outside of this.

I've been experiencing the exact same thing! The idea of not rushing through my thesis to get my official degree submitted to a school seems nice. Having another couple months to enjoy myself a bit more. 

I am not sure how, but somehow even with only two official responses it feels like a shutout, but nonetheless I think the forum's mood today is helping. Gotta always remember that the institutions are just that.

I'm stuck at work today but I decided to make a terrible mistake and check the USPS informed delivery online. There's A PIECE OF MAIL FROM A SCHOOL I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM. Sitting in my mailbox until 5pm EST... ?

5 hours ago, Matthew3957 said:

I've been experiencing the exact same thing! The idea of not rushing through my thesis to get my official degree submitted to a school seems nice. Having another couple months to enjoy myself a bit more. 

I am not sure how, but somehow even with only two official responses it feels like a shutout, but nonetheless I think the forum's mood today is helping. Gotta always remember that the institutions are just that.

I've been feeling the same way with my two official responses. I like thinking about taking the time to apply next cycle! I've also been looking at buying some land and starting a little homestead farm situation. So, there's that. 

@Bopie5holy cow, I feel the same way. feel proud that you did ALL OF THAT and still apply to 59693 schools with (just my opinion, fwiw) a great sop and plan of study. my mental and physical health on top of work and full courseload were not optimum last semester but I feel like applying next cycle when I'll be working full time won't be fun but might be easier just being in new surroundings and older. fingers crossed for you either way!

9 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

As everyone here is saying, this is very impressive. I also worked and did theatre in undergrad and can't imagine going through this process on top of all of that. We're all keeping our fingers crossed, but I'm happy to confirm that doing all of this stuff while working a full-time job that has nothing to do with academia actually makes it really fun—a nice return to what you love. And if you start early enough, it's never so much work in a day that you feel burned out.

And I would say the biggest plus is that completing a thesis will become one of the most important parts of your application. My thesis is the center of gravity of my entire SoP, a demonstration of both my previous research aptitude and the launch pad that I will use to expand my focus. And it gave me a writing sample that I feel really, really confident in. In many ways, applying as an undergrad puts you at a disadvantage.

I hope none of this is discouraging to hear. Everyone who's applying has a different path and none of us will be surprised if you land in a great program this cycle.

Hi everyone, fellow English Lit applicant here! I just created an account to ask possibly the stupidest question:

I had no idea schools called you to notify of acceptance/conduct interviews. I thought that the phone number you give is just a formality. So my dumb self put down my American cell number. Now I'm in Germany visiting family and freaking out because my two top choices (Davis and Irvine) seem to be notifying by phone and of course they won't be able to reach me with my American number.

If they can't reach me by phone, will they reconsider their decision? I'm seriously going crazy rn. I have  a German cell, should I log in to the portals and see if I can give them my German number? 

7 minutes ago, kitties said:

Hi everyone, fellow English Lit applicant here! I just created an account to ask possibly the stupidest question:

I had no idea schools called you to notify of acceptance/conduct interviews. I thought that the phone number you give is just a formality. So my dumb self put down my American cell number. Now I'm in Germany visiting family and freaking out because my two top choices (Davis and Irvine) seem to be notifying by phone and of course they won't be able to reach me with my American number.

If they can't reach me by phone, will they reconsider their decision? I'm seriously going crazy rn. I have  a German cell, should I log in to the portals and see if I can give them my German number? 

If they can't reach you by phone, I'm sure they will send you an email, not reconsider their decision!

8 minutes ago, kitties said:

Do not worry! They will email you if they can't reach you by phone. 

5 minutes ago, punctilious said:

If they can't reach you by phone, I'm sure they will send you an email, not reconsider their decision!

4 minutes ago, bardie said:

Do not worry! They will email you if they can't reach you by phone. 

The logical part of my brain told myself that too haha. Thanks guys for calming my anxious mind!!

There are two Brandeis rejections on the board... anyone want to claim them? I’m confused because my portal doesn’t say anything. And there aren’t any acceptances. What if I didn’t complete my application somehow or something...

14 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

Chicago added a "decisions documents" folder at the bottom. i cried for "there is nothing posted"

My decision folder just disappeared today? It was there yesterday when I checked (but empty, of course) :( Anyone experiencing this?