2019 Applicants

10 minutes ago, bardie said:

I'm nervously awaiting news from some of my top schools this week and am hoping it will come soon ?

me @ pretty much all my remaining schools this week: won't you be my valentiiiiiine?
(let's just hope this week won't cumulate in a tragic heartbreak.) 

(edit: though, of course, Chicago got there first, so to all the schools attempting to reject me this week, don't even bother trying, because none of you will hurt my soft and fragile heart as much as Chicago did. jk.) 

Edited by flungoutofspace

15 minutes ago, dilby said:

I just had to go through the various stages of grad school email stress because I got another message about Chicago's stupid MAPH. Insult, meet injury. 

The manipulative language in that email was so transparent it made me mad

21 hours ago, 3131 said:

How did the call go?

Good! (I had to reschedule it for today.) It was very relaxed, more of a conversation than an interview. The person calling me asked a couple questions about my research but mostly talked about the program (and was very nice).  Good luck to you with yours!

1 minute ago, Ruta said:

Good! (I had to reschedule it for today.) It was very relaxed, more of a conversation than an interview. The person calling me asked a couple questions about my research but mostly talked about the program (and was very nice).  Good luck to you with yours!

Also they told me we'd be hearing back early next week, if anyone's curious!

1 minute ago, Sav said:

sameeee

Guys I know my heart sank when I saw this (though I'm very happy for whoever got the call). NYU was my earliest deadline so I think my Personal Statement had a really groveling/ desperate tone and my Writing Sample was in a slightly earlier version. SUPER nervous.

Just now, bardie said:

Guys I know my heart sank when I saw this (though I'm very happy for whoever got the call). NYU was my earliest deadline so I think my Personal Statement had a really groveling/ desperate tone and my Writing Sample was in a slightly earlier version. SUPER nervous.

The good (bad?) news is that since a professor called, notifications could come at any time, over a period of days, I'd imagine. lol also I feel the same about my sop since they were my earliest as well!

10 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Is anyone else starting to lose their minds slightly? I just saw the UC Davis acceptance (congrats!!!) and I momentarily panicked before I realized that I had not applied to UC Davis ?

Hahaha, I have done this so many times!  Or just gotten weirdly emotionally invested/reactionary about acceptances from schools to which I did not apply.  

@3131 @Ruta my Columbia interviewer just emailed me to let me know I’m one of two being recommended for admission. I’m confused because I kind of thought I already was being recommended! It isn’t a bad thing of course, I’m just confused about the process now. Did either of you get an email like this from your POI? He said committee meets on the 15th and notices will start on the 18th. 

On mobile so format is weird. Pls forgive lol

1 hour ago, mwils15 said:

Did anyone else here apply to Georgetown's MA program? There's a single acceptance posted on the board, but it seems like it's a lot earlier than they typically notify.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping there are more acceptances on the way!

22 minutes ago, trytostay said:

@3131 @Ruta my Columbia interviewer just emailed me to let me know I’m one of two being recommended for admission for eighteenth-century. I’m confused because I kind of thought I already was being recommended! It isn’t a bad thing of course, I’m just confused about the process now. Did either of you get an email like this from your POI? He said committee meets on the 15th and notices will start on the 18th. 

Sorry for not being more detailed; I’m trying to be careful about not providing potentially identifying information. But I haven’t received such an email, though candidates in my field were interviewed later than yours were. Of course it could also be the case that I’m not a finalist. But I think in your case, basically this means you passed the interview round and have made it into the ring of admissions-committee-spot-battling, so now you’re like a super finalist. (Congratulations!) But I agree that this is a confusing email. I guess it’s nice that he told you so you can feel a little better in the case that you’re ultimately waitlisted, but it does seem like more info than necessary, which is extremely rare in admissions-circumstances lol

20 minutes ago, trytostay said:

@3131 @Ruta my Columbia interviewer just emailed me to let me know I’m one of two being recommended for admission for eighteenth-century. I’m confused because I kind of thought I already was being recommended! It isn’t a bad thing of course, I’m just confused about the process now. Did either of you get an email like this from your POI? He said committee meets on the 15th and notices will start on the 18th. 

The person on the phone didn't really say anything about admission beyond telling me the (possible) decision date. That sounds like really good news though! Congrats!

1 hour ago, trytostay said:

I wonder if you're his dog in the fight and he's trying to keep you in the loop as much as possible (although this information does seem a bit more confusing than anything else)! :) Good luck to all Columbia applicants! 

@mwils15 @dreamumlifdon Hi, I'm the acceptance on the board! I was notified via email earlier today from the department coordinator and DGS. Not too much info yet other than the fact that I was awarded a funding package and will receive further details later this week via phone. It seems like they're notifying funding recipients first, though I'm still surprised I heard something back so soon. Best of luck to you both!

1 minute ago, briwriteshere said:

@mwils15 @dreamumlifdon Hi, I'm the acceptance on the board! I was notified via email earlier today from the department coordinator and DGS. Not too much info yet other than the fact that I was awarded a funding package and will receive further details later this week via phone. It seems like they're notifying funding recipients first, though I'm still surprised I heard something back so soon. Best of luck to you both!

Congrats! :)

10 hours ago, trytostay said:

Not a bad news at all!  Congrats.  Hope you'll succeed in getting into the final final round. 

Since I applied to their comp lit track I really have no idea how the admission process is like.  Guess we'll also hear back from them next week then.

Edited by mxiongturquoise

22 minutes ago, mxiongturquoise said:

Not a bad news at all!  Congrats.  Hope you'll succeed in getting into the final final round. 

Since I applied to their comp lit track I really have no idea how the admission process is like.  Guess we'll also hear back from them next week then.

I also applied comp. lit and english! My impression is that they're very interrelated. 

Has anyone here had dreams about applying to grad school/decisions so far?

Wanted to ask cause I've had way too many this cycle :unsure: I haven't had nightly admission season dreams yet (thank god) but they were... vivid enough that I remember a few O_O I'll try to go through them in sequential order and describe what happens (there is no context to what happened, they just... did lol)

1st dream: My Cornell application got referred to another department somehow and I also found out that UCSB rejected me (I did not apply to UCSB this cycle and from what I remember... dream UCSB basically said my SoP was awful). I also found out about some site where apparently... there was some sort of application tracker/genie that gauged our chances? Surely enough, that site was predicting 'low chance of acceptance everywhere' (I saw an awful lot of red) and I remember being devastated when I saw that I was looking unlikely for my top choice.

2nd dream: Imagine if schools combined the real-time updates of the results board and also listed (publicly too) the names of their accepted students as they came up. This was a school with red colors (my mind flip-flopped between Madison and Cornell after I woke up, didn't apply to Madison this cycle) so I remember frantically refreshing the page and seeing these names pop up. Eventually, my name did not so the school was an automatic rejection then and there. This dream was also a world where the feedback for rejected applications came almost instantly. So I clicked on my portal and found some... scathing notes on both my app but also poetry I wrote being ripped apart O_O

3rd dream: Nothing weird really happened except I was living a normal adult life and I owned a house... and then right at the end of the dream I got an e-mail with a form rejection letter from UC Irvine. (this happened the night before I got an e-mail requesting a phone conversation that turned into the unofficial acceptance)

4th dream: this one was basically even more blatant O_O I dreamt that I got rejected from Cornell via ApplyWeb and that I also got rejected from Buffalo from their portal.

So far... that's all the admission-related dreams I've had.

Edited by Ranmaag